K Greg Zuerlein definitely on the hot seat with Dallas Cowboys owner/GM Jerry Jones

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
After the Cowboys 3 point loss to the Cardinals on Sunday night, Dallas Cowboys owner/GM had this to say Tuesday morning about K Greg Zuerlein:

“I think the most important part of a kicker is consistency," Jones said. "And it’s not consistently missing.”

Read why Greg Zuerlein is on Jerry Jone's hot seat...

https://www-si-com.cdn.ampproject.o...ones-greg-zuerlein-kicker-concerns-super-bowl

PS: Personal note: Jerry Jones should have kept K Lirim Hajrullahu "just in case" because of Greg Zuerlein's inconsistent leg rearing its ugly head once again right as the playoffs are right around the corner. o_O

What do you think about all of this inconsistency at kicker with the playoffs 1 game away from starting?

Discuss...

:popcorn:

CCBoy

Reaction score
I wouldn't gamble with most kickers consistently making normal distances. The stadium advantage won't probably be but a single game. Not being able to trust him for both field goals or extra points, would have this fan replacing him at least after Saturday.

Loso86

Reaction score
After the Cowboys 3 point loss to the Cardinals on Sunday night, Dallas Cowboys owner/GM had this to say Tuesday morning about K Greg Zuerlein:

“I think the most important part of a kicker is consistency," Jones said. "And it’s not consistently missing.”

Read why Greg Zuerlein is on Jerry Jone's hot seat...

https://www-si-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/.amp/news/dallas-jerry-jones-greg-zuerlein-kicker-concerns-super-bowl?amp_js_v=a6&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQKKAFQArABIIACAw==#aoh=16413653585926&referrer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=From %1$s&ampshare=https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news/dallas-jerry-jones-greg-zuerlein-kicker-concerns-super-bowl

PS: Personal note: Jerry Jones should have kept K Lirim Hajrullahu "just in case" because of Greg Zuerlein's inconsistent leg rearing its ugly head once again right as the playoffs are right around the corner. o_O

What do you think about all of this inconsistency at kicker with the playoffs 1 game away from starting?

Discuss...

:popcorn:
Mam we should have kept the guy we had before we signed Greg honestly not as big of a leg but was consistent. I think his name was Forbaith

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I wouldn't gamble with most kickers consistently making normal distances. The stadium advantage won't probably be but a single game. Not being able to trust him for both field goals or extra points, would have this fan replacing him at least after Saturday.
Who are you getting right before the playoffs start that you trust?

the time to make a move is this offseason, not the playoffs. At this point your team is your team.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Who are you getting right before the playoffs start that you trust?

the time to make a move is this offseason, not the playoffs. At this point your team is your team.
Two other kickers have been used this season...try one of them. That's who...

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Jerry may have seen fit to replace Zuerlein a while back if he were pro-active in managing.
Unfortunately, he's averse to change. He's inclined to wait until disaster strikes first! :omg:

Jeepers creepers, there's nothing like waiting until the wheels come off before responding.

Last edited:

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Greg is Bones Fassel’s guy… JJ has allowed loyalty and comfort to keep a guy on the roster who is under-performing. When a coach plays favorites— the GM has to step in and overrule and do what is best for the team.

IMO— the move should have been made in the offseason once Greg’s back surgery made it impossible for him to do any preseason work. At the very minimum there should have been an actual competition.

I feel bad for Greg as well. I am sure he believes his return to form is right around the corner. Most athletes don’t see their decline until it’s over. His mind is saying he can do something his body is simply not able to execute consistently any more.

Carson

Reaction score
Greg is Bones Fassel’s guy… JJ has allowed loyalty and comfort to keep a guy on the roster who is under-performing. When a coach plays favorites— the GM has to step in and overrule and do what is best for the team.

IMO— the move should have been made in the offseason once Greg’s back surgery made it impossible for him to do any preseason work. At the very minimum there should have been an actual competition.

I feel bad for Greg as well. I am sure he believes his return to form is right around the corner. Most athletes don’t see their decline until it’s over. His mind is saying he can do something his body is simply not able to execute consistently any more.
Thing is, he’s solid. After he misses a kick and XP lol

Its sad I’m more confident in him making a 52 yarder with no time left than I am an extra point or a 35 yarder

Last edited:

RonWashington

Reaction score
You’re not going to see a change with one game before the playoffs.

9 points against KC that was our entire offense . A 56 yarder to win in the final seconds in Los Angeles and so it goes . The time to “ change kickers “ was earlier then week 18 heading to the playoffs next week . Whatever you do Jerry , keep the punter next season ok even if he’s up for a raise.

In other words 7 points going into quarter 4 is a small fraction of FG kicking blame against the depleted Cardinals