Kaiser Rolls out notes on Seahawks game

McKDaddy

Reaction score
but its a better bet over the long run than making Jones the highest paid CB in the league.

I don't know where you draw the line on paying CB's but I feel they are one of the positions you should do everything you can to acquire & keep top shelf talent. So, I can't say for certain that i would have paid Byron what he got from Miami but I would have definitely went higher than what the Cowboys were willing to go.

If BB thinks its a good policy, that's all i need to know.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Jaylon at 7.7MM is much better value than Byron Jones at 17.6MM.
Oh Kaiser, please say this was "heat of the moment" and you don't really believe Jaylon is a value at anything more than league minimum.

John813

Reaction score
The Jones deal isn't a bad deal. Yea, high AAV, but Miami only gave him 10.5mil in signing bonus, making him not an anchor if his signing doesn't pan out.
They did the same thing with X. Howard as well.

Miami had cap space to burn, so 17.6mil cap hit in year one was doable for them.
I believe if the FO valued Jones more they could of done some creative cap structure, like Coopers deal, to of made Jones Contract easier to swallow till 2022 when the new TV contracts hit.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wrong.

Doesn't look like K.J. Wright immediately released and did control Zeke with the pull. Should have been a penalty. Zeke knew the rule and complained.​

EE-Helmet-Pull.gif

I hadn;t seen this play but dang zeke is a strong dude. Slinging Wright around like that....wow!

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When I looked up the rule I assumed "facemask opening" was the front portion but apparently it covers anything.... open. Like Zeke's neck. Or something.

But if that is the case, Seattle would argue that Wright turned Zeke by the pads and the contact with the back of his helmet was accidental. Its weird phrasing in the rule language IMO.

There are TONS of "accidentals" flagged.

How much exactly is "tons" I don't know...but alot! :D

Kaiser

Reaction score
I don't know where you draw the line on paying CB's but I feel they are one of the positions you should do everything you can to acquire & keep top shelf talent. So, I can't say for certain that i would have paid Byron what he got from Miami but I would have definitely went higher than what the Cowboys were willing to go.

If BB thinks its a good policy, that's all i need to know.

Byron is good but he got paid like he is elite, which he isn't. Byron is now the second highest paid CB in football and he is certainly solid, but not a game changer. IMO there is a very good chance of Diggs being a better player two years from now with Diggs making about 10% of what Byron does.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Oh Kaiser, please say this was "heat of the moment" and you don't really believe Jaylon is a value at anything more than league minimum.

Jaylon played in the Pro Bowl last year and he has the 16th highest salary at OLB. Guys like Za'Darius Smith are making twice what he is, IMO the biggest issue with Jaylon is the shift to the new scheme and fans being fickle.

Kaiser

Reaction score
The Jones deal isn't a bad deal. Yea, high AAV, but Miami only gave him 10.5mil in signing bonus, making him not an anchor if his signing doesn't pan out.
They did the same thing with X. Howard as well.

Miami had cap space to burn, so 17.6mil cap hit in year one was doable for them.
I believe if the FO valued Jones more they could of done some creative cap structure, like Coopers deal, to of made Jones Contract easier to swallow till 2022 when the new TV contracts hit.

Byron is guaranteed 55 Million over the next three years. That would be pretty anchor-ish if Dallas was paying that to a guy who is good but not elite.

And I don't follow how Amari Cooper's contract is creative. Its a straight line 20MM per season, the only thing non-standard is Dallas can use an out clause after two years. And even then its 40MM guaranteed for the first two years.

John813

Reaction score
Byron is guaranteed 55 Million over the next three years. That would be pretty anchor-ish if Dallas was paying that to a guy who is good but not elite.

And I don't follow how Amari Cooper's contract is creative. Its a straight line 20MM per season, the only thing non-standard is Dallas can use an out clause after two years. And even then its 40MM guaranteed for the first two years.

Most of his guarantees are base salary, making him movable in a trade almost at any point. I see 46mil fully guaranteed, 35.5 for base, 10.5 signing. Jones is a very good corner, outside of his ball skills.

Coopers cap hit is 12mil this year, 22mil years 2-5. His guaranteed salary runs out next year. Making it a 2 year, 34mil deal, cap hit wise through 2022, while in reality paying him 40mil in real cash. They found a way to lower his first year by 8 over the average, and can get out of it before year 3, if need be, and only have 6mil dead cap, with a "savings" of 16mil. Or, if he is still doing well, they can restructure and add a voidable year at the end to lower his cap hits and Cooper gets to cash out again.
Even with Cooper, his signing bonus was only 10mil out of that 40mil. Which means if by some reason we had to get rid of him next year via trade, it's only a 8 mil dead cap, with a "savings" of 14mil. The team receiving Cooper is then on the hook for the guaranteed base.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Most of his guarantees are base salary, making him movable in a trade almost at any point. I see 46mil fully guaranteed, 35.5 for base, 10.5 signing. Jones is a very good corner, outside of his ball skills.

Coopers cap hit is 12mil this year, 22mil years 2-5. His guaranteed salary runs out next year. Making it a 2 year, 34mil deal, cap hit wise through 2022, while in reality paying him 40mil in real cash. They found a way to lower his first year by 8 over the average, and can get out of it before year 3, if need be, and only have 6mil dead cap, with a "savings" of 16mil. Or, if he is still doing well, they can restructure and add a voidable year at the end to lower his cap hits and Cooper gets to cash out again.
Even with Cooper, his signing bonus was only 10mil out of that 40mil. Which means if by some reason we had to get rid of him next year via trade, it's only a 8 mil dead cap, with a "savings" of 14mil. The team receiving Cooper is then on the hook for the guaranteed base.

Sure, my reaction was to calling it "creative". That's very vanilla for this type of contract, its basically the boilerplate. Every team spreads the bonus out over five years and its a good deal for both sides. Amari got a salary at the top of the market and Dallas got the option to pull the plug after two years but still lock him in if salaries explode.

John813

Reaction score
Sure, my reaction was to calling it "creative". That's very vanilla for this type of contract, its basically the boilerplate. Every team spreads the bonus out over five years and its a good deal for both sides. Amari got a salary at the top of the market and Dallas got the option to pull the plug after two years but still lock him in if salaries explode.

Guess I just find it nice to see this team not hand out huge signing bonuses in order to manipulate the cap hits but on the flipside have more of an anchor deal.
It was creative in order to make the short term work, yet not strapping them in for longer than 2 years on a deal worth 100mil total. A bit surprised Cooper accepted that deal, especially with hitting free agency and having the Commanders offering him 22mil per.
Maybe he saw it as a 2 year 40mil deal with a chance to get another big deal if Dallas wants to move on.

Dez got 20mil in signing bonus 5 years ago.

Only giving 10mil to Cooper was just about a steal, but they were able to guarantee 40mil over his first two years here.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Jaylon played in the Pro Bowl last year

He was voted in but he didn't play at a Pro Bowl level. I could plug in a lot of LB'ers and get better, more consistent production at less pay. Could someone else give me similar production at equal or less pay? To me that is the ultimate test of value for any player at any position.

I wouldn't have a problem with his salary if his play matched. For me it falls far short.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Guess I just find it nice to see this team not hand out huge signing bonuses in order to manipulate the cap hits but on the flipside have more of an anchor deal.
It was creative in order to make the short term work, yet not strapping them in for longer than 2 years on a deal worth 100mil total. A bit surprised Cooper accepted that deal, especially with hitting free agency and having the Commanders offering him 22mil per.
Maybe he saw it as a 2 year 40mil deal with a chance to get another big deal if Dallas wants to move on.

Dez got 20mil in signing bonus 5 years ago.

Only giving 10mil to Cooper was just about a steal, but they were able to guarantee 40mil over his first two years here.

To me Amari's contract was the classic tradeoff where both sides got what they wanted. Amari wanted elite money and Dallas wanted insurance against injury, decline, etc. Amari got that 20MM per year average (which would be 2nd in the NFL if it applied to this year, behind only Julio Jones. Next year Julio will be first by 1MM, with Amari 2nd).

Dallas got the protection of the outclause after two years and a fairly low bonus (Zeke's deal was actually a lot more team friendly). That's a good deal for both sides, especially if the story is true that Washington was offering more. The contract covers the seasons when Amari will be 26 years old to 30 and he plays through injury, so I think the chances are good that it works out for everyone.