Kavon Frazier says "Kris Richard may have had his hand forced by Garrett"

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Though i wasn't all sure it was Garrett himself that was an issue with regards to Richard, -but i always thought he wasn;t able to operate
like they expected him to as the former engineer for the Legion of Boom, did as far as i'm concerned.
i thought his feud and mutiny with LB coach Ben Bloom that even led to the LB coach being excused (exiled?) away from the team
had to have an effect on the players and likely lead to players freelancing and being confused on what coach to paying attention to.
Whispers were Richard wanted to hire his own LB coach, but was thwarted away either management ( or Garrett?)

-and by the way, ole red head head coach and overseer didn't seem to do a damn thing with stepping and put his foot down on resolving the mutiny and bitter in-battle with the defensive coaches.

- and who knows if he had to be submissive to whatever gap scheme and way of operating the front four of Marinelli.- which know now the
end result of how that ended up for us.

- Marinelli handled the front four while Richard handled the back seven. Marinelli held the title as DC, but the signals and the play of the LBs and secondary was the responsibility of Richard. only he was limited by the opposition of Bloom, and forced to have to deal with whatever marinelli was determined to use and coach
up front.

- While we saw a great improvement from Byron Jones, per Richard immediately switching him from safety to CB, Awuzie never turned the corner, nor Brown,
nor Xavier or Heath. In the end especially when the big losses like buffalo, bears came in, i thought Richard eventually lost the team and didnt respond to him
(after the team seemed to be detoured towards him more than Marinelli, ala sideline meetings and rant)

- just as i thought the same way management mishandled the Matt Eberflus "co-defensive coordinator" pass game coordinator, etc" .. they may have mishandled some of the Kris Richard workings. They wanted Richard commit to some of the things they currently wanted to do here, not committ to him and re-work and change
how they play defense here. If they wanted this defense to be the Legion of Boom, commit to him fully and let him change and re-work the defense from beginning to end. Not just a page on Byron or Xavier, and let the Marinelli and Bloom do what they want.
- Just -in- my- Humble- Opinion. ..

That's a clear view assessment, and it was obvious something was pissing off Richard, it always seemed more involved than just a player missing an assignment.
Many said at the time when its was clear Richard was in argument with other staff on the sideline during that game, that he was just early auditioning for Marinellis job,,
I remember saying that wasn't the case,, He is upset because of a total communication break down and no supporting cast of staff.
Too many egos throughout the old staff regime.. that's been squashed by the MM caravan.

erod

Reaction score
Well if you watch them play what he’s saying makes sense.
Richard was discussed as a head coaching candidate a year ago.

Now he doesn't have a job.

That's not because of Garrett. He's just not highly thought of across the league.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Many of us are mystified by the criticism of Amari Cooper, and Frazier is, too. He lined up against him in practice, after all, and said he is one of the elite route runners in the league. Frazier described him as almost impossible to cover, especially out of the slot, and said he is at least top two league wide in getting separation.​

Doesn't seem like Cooper got lined up in the slot much. We could really use a legitimate WR to line up at wideout to let Cooper take the slot. We had *so* many slot guys. Dez? Isolated wide for one on one jump balls? Smith? Smith always looked like a legit WR to me, and his speed should give safeties pause.
Can Cooper play the slot.... yes, but just don't think they want to expose the 100 million dollar WR in that role.
Draft a rook that can contribute there, and if not sign Dez to an incentive based deal, with the pre understanding that his pre defined role will be working the middle.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
We've all speculated about Garrett interfering with scheme or inserting himself and his ideologies out of fear for his job or not being able to stand seeing other coaches be successful without his help, well Kavon Frasier just alluded to this.

"Frazier also brought up how Richard relied almost exclusively on Cover 3 and man, when in his first two years the defense had also used a lot of Cover 2 and 4. For those who remember that far back, it was reminiscent of how the very complicated Rob Ryan defense keep coming apart back when he was the DC. Although he wasn’t as sure about this, he also thought that Richard may have had his hand forced in some ways by Garrett or even the ownership in some decisions."

Read on-
No offense to Kavon but BS.
Richard relied on Cover 1 and Cover 3 back in SEA.
He brought those defenses with him.

Rod ran cover 2 and 4.

Richard is a cover 3/1 guy. That's his personal defensive philosophy.

johneric8

Reaction score

Rod ran cover 2 and 4.

Yes, both richard and marinelli were brought together by Jerry jones and forced to try and mix and match their styles. Year 1 richard brought more of what he is about, but year 2 the cracks started to show in regards to their unfruitful marriage.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Yes, both richard and marinelli were brought together by Jerry jones and forced to try and mix and match their styles. Year 1 richard brought more of what he is about, but year 2 the cracks started to show in regards to their unfruitful marriage.
That's not true.

Year 1 Richard coached CBs and introduced some cover 1/3.
Rod backed off but they still ran a lot of Cover 2 and 4.
Year 2 they handed the defense to Richard with Rod only coaching DL and calling his front.

It was the LB coach fighting with Richard because he didn't like the coverages so often pulling Jaylon out of the rush. It made them predictable.

Should Jerry had hired a DC fully? Probably.
Did Cowboys fan overrate Richard madly? Yes.

As we look around right now it is telling who does and does not have jobs.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Can Cooper play the slot.... yes, but just don't think they want to expose the 100 million dollar WR in that role.
Draft a rook that can contribute there, and if not sign Dez to an incentive based deal, with the pre understanding that his pre defined role will be working the middle.

In the 70s going over the middle was something to worry about. Not so much today.

Dre11

Reaction score
That's not true.

Year 2 they handed the defense to Richard with Rod only coaching DL and calling his front.

It was the LB coach fighting with Richard because he didn't like the coverages so often pulling Jaylon out of the rush. It made them predictable.

exactly, this dude makes up ish as he go....lol

Dre11

Reaction score

Rod ran cover 2 and 4.

Kavon said Richard played mostly Cover 3, but we also played Cover 3 and 1 too here before Richard got here, we just played it differently as far back as 2013.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Richard was discussed as a head coaching candidate a year ago.

Now he doesn't have a job.

That's not because of Garrett. He's just not highly thought of across the league.

Whatever.

#KRHate

DuncanIso

Reaction score
That's not true.

#LegionOfBoom

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Though i wasn't all sure it was Garrett himself that was an issue with regards to Richard, -but i always thought he wasn;t able to operate
like they expected him to as the former engineer for the Legion of Boom, did as far as i'm concerned.
i thought his feud and mutiny with LB coach Ben Bloom that even led to the LB coach being excused (exiled?) away from the team
had to have an effect on the players and likely lead to players freelancing and being confused on what coach to paying attention to.
Whispers were Richard wanted to hire his own LB coach, but was thwarted away either management ( or Garrett?)

-and by the way, ole red head head coach and overseer didn't seem to do a damn thing with stepping and put his foot down on resolving the mutiny and bitter in-battle with the defensive coaches.

- and who knows if he had to be submissive to whatever gap scheme and way of operating the front four of Marinelli.- which know now the
end result of how that ended up for us.

- Marinelli handled the front four while Richard handled the back seven. Marinelli held the title as DC, but the signals and the play of the LBs and secondary was the responsibility of Richard. only he was limited by the opposition of Bloom, and forced to have to deal with whatever marinelli was determined to use and coach
up front.

- While we saw a great improvement from Byron Jones, per Richard immediately switching him from safety to CB, Awuzie never turned the corner, nor Brown,
nor Xavier or Heath. In the end especially when the big losses like buffalo, bears came in, i thought Richard eventually lost the team and didnt respond to him
(after the team seemed to be detoured towards him more than Marinelli, ala sideline meetings and rant)

- just as i thought the same way management mishandled the Matt Eberflus "co-defensive coordinator" pass game coordinator, etc" .. they may have mishandled some of the Kris Richard workings. They wanted Richard commit to some of the things they currently wanted to do here, not committ to him and re-work and change
how they play defense here. If they wanted this defense to be the Legion of Boom, commit to him fully and let him change and re-work the defense from beginning to end. Not just a page on Byron or Xavier, and let the Marinelli and Bloom do what they want.
- Just -in- my- Humble- Opinion. ..
Your post is evidence of how convoluted the def coaching staff was , and was the product of the jones boys minds lol.
The defensive coaching staff was as organized like the way jerry talks lol.
It is amazing they did as well as they did.
Cowboys now have a normal coaching staff, so it should be better just due to that.
KR not getting a job is meaningless, he may or may not have wanted a job, he may have wanted a year off, and may want to work for a specific team or teams.
I dont know if JG messed with the defense or not, but more likely he just didnt help straighten out the mess the jones boys created.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
We've all speculated about Garrett interfering with scheme or inserting himself and his ideologies out of fear for his job or not being able to stand seeing other coaches be successful without his help, well Kavon Frasier just alluded to this.

"Frazier also brought up how Richard relied almost exclusively on Cover 3 and man, when in his first two years the defense had also used a lot of Cover 2 and 4. For those who remember that far back, it was reminiscent of how the very complicated Rob Ryan defense keep coming apart back when he was the DC. Although he wasn’t as sure about this, he also thought that Richard may have had his hand forced in some ways by Garrett or even the ownership in some decisions."

Read on-

The notion that the Head Coach was "interfering" with the schemes run by his team is utterly ridiculous. Garrett had both the right and responsibility to "interfere" whenever and wherever he thought appropriate. That's what Head Coaches do.

You can legitimately criticize Garrett for being a poor coach, or for making poor decisions in games or on personnel issues. But it is just stupid to criticize a Head Coach for acting like a Head Coach. That is like criticizing a dog for barking and sniffing butts. It's just what dogs do. And Head Coaches "interfere" with their assistant coaches every day, all day long. It's what they are paid to do.

Tommy

Reaction score
It says "Although he wasn’t as sure about this, he also thought that Richard may have had his hand forced in some ways by Garrett or even the ownership in some decisions." Doesn't sound definitive to me. Sounds more like pure speculation much like we see from many(myself included) on this site.

That’s because it’s all made up crap.

The thread quotes Frazier as saying:
"Kris Richard may have had his hand forced by Garrett"

Where in the article does Frazier say this?

Tommy

Reaction score
This is right form the article! Frazier thought that richard may of had his hand forced in some ways by Garrett. "Although he wasn’t as sure about this, he also thought that Richard may have had his hand forced in some ways by Garrett".... If you don't think Garrett through a monkey wrench into the cohesiveness of what the assistants were trying to do I can't help you..

You need to read the article more carefully and not just believe crap the writer of the article wants you to believe.

There is nowhere in the article where Frazier says he thinks Garrett interfered.

Tommy

Reaction score
Frazier didn't say anything bad about Garrett in the interview
But the writer can change the narrative and make it something negative.

And then people with only half a brain will believe it and run with it.

Which is exactly what happened here.