Twitter: KC: Dak must reach playoffs consistently if he's paid premium QB money

kskboys

Reaction score
All of this is wrong, IMO. None of this is about anything I said. You mention "my evaluation" of Dak. What exactly is that evaluation?

None of this is about Dak. It's about what we can afford to do as a franchise with a contract and what we can do with the rest of the roster, once cap is committed to Prescott. That's what all of this really comes down to, IMO.
Yup. There are maybe a dozen posters who make everything about Dak. In every thread. What we pay him is not about Dak, it's about building a contender. Not about how much you like/dislike him.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Yes, we can spread his guaranteed $ over the term of his contract & can restructure to create another $60 mil in cap space if needed.

It would be easier to improve defense with a cheaper QB for sure, but then you risk subpar QB play.

There is no one model to win & both have advantages & disadvantages.

How are you going to "create 60 mil" in additional cap space?

For the record, all we've received, IMO, is subpar QB play, over the last few years. What exactly are we really risking?

ShaneFalco

Reaction score
Yes, we can spread his guaranteed $ over the term of his contract & can restructure to create another $60 mil in cap space if needed.

It would be easier to improve defense with a cheaper QB for sure, but then you risk subpar QB play.

There is no one model to win & both have advantages & disadvantages.

1st, hypotheticals about “restructuring” is not an answer. It’s just you hoping some player would do it and there’s absolutely no proof anyone would. The team is terrible. Restructuring occurs to get an already good team into an even better position to win Why would any player give up money in this current state of uncertainty where there may not be another season. No agent is restructuring in the current mess.
If you talking about a promise to Tak of restructuring later see the above. There’s no reason for his agent to accept less with a promise of more later. That’s why he was tagged. Taks agent isn’t accepting less. He wants his deal.
DAL has no money and no way of creating it other than cutting UFA’s bringing in even worse players and that barely gets them to 37.5. mil

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We can if he'll take a longer deal. We cannot if we bow to his weird demands and do a 4 year deal. Why do you think we're holding out for a longer deal? A shorter deal keeps us from winning.
It is not the length of this deal, it is the other deals that causes this problem.

All of these other QB deals we are comparing, what have they committed to other players? 15M to a RB, 22M to a WR, 21M to a DE? Their overpaying for other positions draws attention to this one and this is the guy that should cut them a deal?

Prescott doesn't owe this team anything. It is not his job to help them balance the cap as they tried to lay off on him. "We need room to sign other players". What about those other players they already signed?

Did they really think they could have a top 3 paid RB and WR and the QB wouldn't want his? PIT did this same thing paying the QB and WR and then the third triplet wanted his.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Ok. Well our offensive supporting cast is already committed . The issue is rebuilding the defense which will have to be done thru the draft . Which should be affordable with Rookie contracts.

If we need Cap space in the coming years then I’d suggest considering letting others walk if their contribution doesn’t improve. There’s quite a laundry list of veterans we could release to loosen up Cap space. Some of which can’t stay on the field.

Is it? The most expensive piece of that Offense is QB and is clearly not committed. The rest of the Offense can support another signal caller, if that is the decision that is made.

So if I understand your position here, you are suggesting that the team counts on:

1) Drafting about as well as any team in the history of the game has drafted.

2) The draft falling exactly right and enabling us to get the right players, at the right slots of the draft.

3) Said players being able to contribute in a major way inside of two seasons.

4) Jerry and the team committing to defensive drafts over the next several years.

Honestly, do you really have confidence that this can really or would really happen?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How are you going to "create 60 mil" in additional cap space?

For the record, all we've received, IMO, is subpar QB play, over the last few years. What exactly are we really risking?
If "we" means the fans, we are risking this brain trust, the same one that wanted Lynch and Cook and had that rogue's gallery after Aikman, picking the QB. This GM was actually lamenting not giving up enough to get Lynch.

The other side of that coin is that once they realized what Lynch wasn't, they might have ended up with a Josh Allen,,,,,,, or a Josh Rosen or a Haskins.

I have never been married to Prescott but I've yet to see someone offer up a better alternative. This might be as good as it gets.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Yup. There are maybe a dozen posters who make everything about Dak. In every thread. What we pay him is not about Dak, it's about building a contender. Not about how much you like/dislike him.

Exactly right.....

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is it? The most expensive piece of that Offense is QB and is clearly not committed. The rest of the Offense can support another signal caller, if that is the decision that is made.

So if I understand your position here, you are suggesting that the team counts on:

2) The draft falling exactly right and enabling us to get the right players, at the right slots of the draft.

4) Jerry and the team committing to defensive drafts over the next several years.

Honestly, do you really have confidence that this can really or would really happen?
Thanks for depressing me further.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

ABQ is on it today geez. I don't even need to post today.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It was the same with Romo, the QB is the pivot point. Especially one that is polarizing like the last two QB's.

I forget what's it's like not to have QB Wars. And in some instances, Prescott is revenge for Romo. For the Romorooters, Prescott was the second coming. Ha, actually the first.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Do I have confidence? Hell no. But I have less in finding another QB. In the end I have less confidence because of our dysfunctional organization. This is probably as good as it gets.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Do I have confidence? Hell no. But I have less in finding another QB. In the end I have less confidence because of our dysfunctional organization. This is probably as good as it gets.

Why?

Most of these QB's are only as good as the team around them. Dak very much fits into that category and Andy Dalton won games at the same rate Dak was and he is viewed as a bottom of the barrel type of replacement.

Our 1-3, and a watermelon kick from 0-4, start to the season should've been a big sign that we need a lot more than a solid QB.

Some of you think we can have utopia though. We're going to pay Dak, along with all of these others guys, and build a champion.. Not happening.

Dallas is trending down.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It was the same with Romo, the QB is the pivot point. Especially one that is polarizing like the last two QB's.

I forget what's it's like not to have QB Wars. And in some instances, Prescott is revenge for Romo. For the Romorooters, Prescott was the second coming. Ha, actually the first.
Yea, I was a critic of Romo on many fronts and of Dak as well . But without either we are a 5-11, 6-10 type franchise because of our dysfunctional organization. It is what it is.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Why?

Most of these QB's are only as good as the team around them. Dak very much fits into that category and Andy Dalton won games at the same rate Dak was and he is viewed as a bottom of the barrel type of replacement.

Our 1-3, and a watermelon kick from 0-4, start to the season should've been a big sign that we need a lot more than a solid QB.

Some of you think we can have utopia though. We're going to pay Dak, along with all of these others guys, and build a champion.. Not happening.

Dallas is trending down.
Yea, but remember those 3 losses were against playoff teams and we were in them despite spotting quite a deficit. We don’t win those games with Dalton either. We were swept against Washington. Neither games were even close with Dalton. We ended up 2-4 in the division with Dalton.

Most likely we win our division with Dak . 8- 8 would have done it.

If you think this dysfunctional organization is building a championship team , I’d argue you haven’t been paying attention this era.

Remember the goal here as Jethro laid out. “ relative and interesting “. That’s the bar.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
If "we" means the fans, we are risking this brain trust, the same one that wanted Lynch and Cook and had that rogue's gallery after Aikman, picking the QB. This GM was actually lamenting not giving up enough to get Lynch.

The other side of that coin is that once they realized what Lynch wasn't, they might have ended up with a Josh Allen,,,,,,, or a Josh Rosen or a Haskins.

I have never been married to Prescott but I've yet to see someone offer up a better alternative. This might be as good as it gets.

So then, your point is that because the team liked Lynch or Cook, they are not qualified to figure out the QB position, if Dak leaves? Is that the point? That's a serious question because it directly effects my answer here.

The ability of this team to manage the QB position is based on how well the OL plays. That's it, it's not tougher then that. The QB is not the most important part of our Offense. It's the OL and it has been for several seasons. If the OL doesn't play well, then the QB is gonna suck and we've seen that over and over again. For this reason, I don't know that the idea of over extending at QB is wise.

I mean, what are we really talking about here? The team has offered 35 AAV for 5 years. Is that such a bad deal for the body of work we've seen from Dak? When's the last time you've seen an NFL QB get signed to a contract like that for posting a losing record over the past two seasons?

It's a head scratcher to me but whatever......

Diehardblues

Reaction score

We know our QB isn’t committed yet. But I said the supporting cast in offense.
And you base this on what? The argument can be made, rather easily, that we can't contend with him. We certainly haven't shown that we can over the last two seasons.

You have no idea where we are at in terms of cap, is that a fair statement? How can you reach a conclusion on what the team thinks if you don't understand what they are able to do from a financial prospective?
We have won with him. On the brink of a championship appearance on two different occasions which is enough for most franchises to invest. How much is the bigger argument.

No, I don’t know where we are on the Cap. Do you? If so please provide the info.

In the meantime I’ll trust our Football Idiots know and wouldn’t be considering a contract if they didn’t have room.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Thanks for depressing me further.

You shouldn't be depressed. I mean, there is an answer here, you just have to be willing to accept the idea that the path forward could be one that doesn't include Dak. I'm not opposed to signing Dak, I'm just not in favor of doing it at the price of compromising the cap.

What will be, will be......

;)

Swagger

Reaction score
Why?

Dallas is trending down.
I very much agree that most quarterbacks are only as good as the team around them. Such an underrated yet simple point.

Guys like Darnold, Rosen and even Daniel Jones have been labelled as busts. Maybe they are but in practice we don't really know. If they were playing for the Cowboys since 2016 or the Chiefs under Andy Reid would they still be busts?

Ryan Tannehill was deemed to be a joke and a bust yet since he has actually been given a chance to show what he can do at the Titans he has contributed to them reaching the play offs in consecutive seasons.

Some regard Dak as an "elite" quarterback. Based on what!? "Elite" refers to a select group who are superior over others. Aaron Rodgers, Patrick Mahomes and Russell Wilson are the only quarterbacks I would put into that bracket right now. Brady is a bit of an outlier due to his age and the offense at Tampa Bay is built around him to succeed. The likes of Jackson and Allen are knocking on that door as well. Jackson and Allen need to have some post season success first before they can be considered to be elite.

I don't consider Romo to being elite either. During his time the elite quarterbacks were Peyton, Rodgers and Brady. Brees is one people could argue was elite or just in the next grouping along with the likes of Big Ben. Personally I would have Romo at the bottom of the next grouping of 3-4 quarterbacks including those two guys at the top.

Dalton played behind the third string offensive line who to their credit generally did ok except the Washington and Arizona games. For me the only additional game Prescott might have won was the Giants game and even then I'm not convinced when you have a Head Coach knee capping the team with dumb decisions and guys dropping crucial passes at key moments (Lamb). Even if Prescott had won that game, given Dalton is deemed to be a 25-32 ranked QB in the league yet arguably Dak would have only won one more game than him. The inference from that is that Dak isn't elite and shouldn't be paid like one.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
So then, your point is that because the team liked Lynch or Cook, they are not qualified to figure out the QB position, if Dak leaves? Is that the point? That's a serious question because it directly effects my answer here.

The ability of this team to manage the QB position is based on how well the OL plays. That's it, it's not tougher then that. The QB is not the most important part of our Offense. It's the OL and it has been for several seasons. If the OL doesn't play well, then the QB is gonna suck and we've seen that over and over again. For this reason, I don't know that the idea of over extending at QB is wise.

I mean, what are we really talking about here? The team has offered 35 AAV for 5 years. Is that such a bad deal for the body of work we've seen from Dak? When's the last time you've seen an NFL QB get signed to a contract like that for posting a losing record over the past two seasons?

It's a head scratcher to me but whatever......
No, it’s not a bad offer. No doubt , reasonable. But he didn’t accept it. If he’s worth 35, is he not worth 38 or 39?

I’d feel better if we simply decided to walk away. But it doesn’t appear to be about whether they want him. Only for how much. Or how long.

So, then IMO it’s not really about some of the discussions many are having here whether they think he’s a legit Franchise QB or if he’s talented enough. It simply comes down to a few million. Less than probably a difference of 5 million a year.