Twitter: KDDrummond: Jerry and Stephen free agent philosophy in a nutshell

Carson

Reaction score
Meh....they just fall in love with players personally and want to make their draft record look better.

They also aren't qualified to evaluate talent from around the league, they know it, and don't want to be exposed.
I mean, we aren’t scouts by any means.

But signing guys like Wagner, Smith, Honey Badger etc are easy to sign and plug and play.

The problem with their mantra is they lost more than they’ve resigned.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Nailed it to a T........

I don’t have a problem with their philosophy. My issue is when you see a quarterback only winning one playoff game in 5 years maybe you don’t make them the highest paid player in the league. You don’t pay a gimp a top 5 linebacker salary, you don’t make extend a bell cow running back in a passing league when they have two years left on their contract, and finally you don’t offer a part time player a 70 million contract because he happens to play 11 games this season.

Ken

Reaction score
Look at the money thrown around in the first days of FA. Do you really want to pay guys like Christian Kirk #1 money when he is a very good slot guy?

They will get some steals here, likely starting this weekend.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
It seems they're getting a lot more outside hate this offseason than usual.

The fans always complain about their lack of moves, but this offseason seems to have brought a lot more attention.

Keep it up. I hope Jerry knows he has a terrible football mind.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score

But signing guys like Wagner, Smith, Honey Badger etc are easy to sign and plug and play.

Dumbest thing I've ever heard I'm sorry

Coogiguy03

Reaction score

Not your comment but what the Joneses are doing

Sydla

Reaction score

I mean isn't this why you fought to keep Quinn? That he was such a good DC and was able to gaggle together our hodge podge of players last year and put forth a competent D? So you are telling me he couldn't make Wagner and Smith and Mathieu work?

It's mind numbing how our front office works.

Carson

Reaction score
I mean isn't this why you fought to keep Quinn? That he was such a good DC and was able to gaggle together our hodge podge of players last year and put forth a competent D? So you are telling me he couldn't make Wagner and Smith and Mathieu work?

It's mind numbing how our front office works.
This. Let’s have a opportunistic defense that played well.

Now let’s just remove the RDE, MLB, SS

fivetwos

Reaction score

The part that bothers me is the obvious fix for the Gregory disaster is the draft.

They always think rookies can make an impact when realistically its one that does anything.

We picked a ton of players last year that did nothing. Some of them will continue to do nothing.

They seem to think that mid round picks will come in and make them better immediately.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
I also think they have a little too much fun drafting.

liek “ok Amari got double teamed and was always wide open but let’s draft some new dudes! Amari has boring highlights. “

fivetwos

Reaction score
I think their free agent philosophy is what they say it is. They don't want to get into bidding wars with other teams over players so the abstain from free agency until only the players no one wants are left.
Solid plan on paper, but it hasnt worked....over a very large sample size.

dagreat1_87

Reaction score
Little context.......Brandon Carr was the last outside free agent we signed to a long-term contract in 2012

On March 14, 2012, the Dallas Cowboys signed Carr to a five-year, $50.10 million contract with $26.50 million guaranteed and a signing bonus of $10 million.

I really feel that Jerry and Stephen had a bet that if Carr didn't turn out well, they'd never sign another big name agent, and Stephen won.

Sydla

Reaction score
I feel bad for some of our fans that still think Jerry and Stephen know what they are doing and will deliver a SB very soon.

They draft well enough to keep the team competitive most years but they simply lack the vision, the planning, the ability to adapt to build as complete a roster as they can. They seem to have issues valuing their players as well as players outside the organization. Adams gets traded for two high picks, the Cowboys can't even squeeze out a 3rd rounder for Cooper. They made Elliott the highest paid TB in NFL history. Since then, a few other big time TBs signed long term deals and Elliott is still the largest contract in history in terms of total dollars and guaranteed dollars by a significant number. But hey, they used the 4th pick on him and they like him and they want to reward him. Who cares if the reality is that Elliott will likely start to see drop off given his position and wear and tear while his cap hits are massive?

KD Drummond's post explains why they are perfectly willing to hand Gregory $70 million but when he bolts, there is no rush to find a competent pass rusher to replace him. It's not because they think they need a good DE opposite Lawrence. They were simply rewarding Gregory for being "their guy". Any other team that saw a pass rusher they wanted to keep leave via FA, would have likely been quick to try to use that slotted money to bring in another similar type player or even try to upgrade. Not us. We signed Armstrong, a JAG, likely some re-tread next week and then they'll tell us they are happy with what they did at DE.

They collect "players". They don't build a "team".

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
I think their free agent philosophy is what they say it is. They don't want to get into bidding wars with other teams over players so the abstain from free agency until only the players no one wants are left.

You'll NEVER win this way. You literally have to nail the draft every single year. It's a completely unrealistic and asinine way to run the team claiming to strive for a Super Bowl. But the family business continues to make money and nobody is getting fired, so the only real suckers here are the fans.