Twitter: Keanu Neal hopes to be big 'hit' in move to linebacker

ondaedg

Reaction score
Big difference last year where our linebackers seemed more finesse (Smith, Thomas, Lee, March) Now seems like we are going to be the bullies (Parsons, Neal, Cox)

Every great defense has that linebacker who will attack a blocker and still make the tackle. Neither LVE or Jaylon are one of those types of guys. They tend to stand straight up and at times back pedal or just get washed out. We need physical guys at LB.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I hope this works out, still seems a bit light to be at LB, unless there is some rotation in there. At least he can cover a RB or a TE in passing downs if needed.
I will wait and see before I get too pumped up about this.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Big difference last year where our linebackers seemed more finesse (Smith, Thomas, Lee, March) Now seems like we are going to be the bullies (Parsons, Neal, Cox)

How are we going to be bullies with two undersized linebackers? You do realize both Neal and Cox would get planted into the dirt by any OL reaching the second level?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Every great defense has that linebacker who will attack a blocker and still make the tackle. Neither LVE or Jaylon are one of those types of guys. They tend to stand straight up and at times back pedal or just get washed out. We need physical guys at LB.

Hard to do your job when the DL can't do theirs. And the offense is 5 yards upfield on you before you realize you need to try to make a play because you have to change your assignment. For which was never really explained by Nolan.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

hope this is the case.

DanA

Reaction score
How are we going to be bullies with two undersized linebackers? You do realize both Neal and Cox would get planted into the dirt by any OL reaching the second level?

Bully describes a behavior rather than size/weight. And I’m not sure I’d call Cox undersized for a rookie linebacker. He must be about 6’3 and 230lbs which is probably above average. I’m expecting him to play at 245lbs with a year or two in the NFL system.

Mr_437

Reaction score
I would like for Neal to be a 3 down LB, but I think Jerry will force Jaylon or LVE on the field pushing Neal to rotating, at least early on.

Anyway, I like the speed and play diagnosis of Neal, plus his wicked intentions on ball carriers.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
LVE has never done that. LVE attacks the ball. He's just been inhibited by injury. He'll be back to his old self in 2021... the wolf hunter.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I would like for Neal to be a 3 down LB, but I think Jerry will force Jaylon or LVE on the field pushing Neal to rotating, at least early on.

Anyway, I like the speed and play diagnosis of Neal, plus his wicked intentions on ball carriers.
Because of his lack of ability to provide coverage, Jaylon will be forced off the field when we go to the Nickel. That's a lot of plays he'll be missing. That's when coverage guys like Cox will thrive.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Because of his lack of ability to provide coverage, Jaylon will be forced off the field when we go to the Nickle. That's a lot of plays he'll be missing. That's when coverage guys like Cox will thrive.
That's logical and I hope so, but Jerry loves to see his money on the field... that's all I'm saying.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
That's logical and I hope so, but Jerry loves to see his money on the field... that's all I'm saying.
You're not wrong to say that. Jerry has been known to interfere with the coach's ability to put his best guys on the field. The tell-tale signs of who we drafted and hired through FA tell me Jerry is going to let the coaches do what they need to do with the LBers. I could be wrong.

Maxmadden

Reaction score
If our defense can force the offense into some predictable situations we may be able to dictate the personnel we play and where they play.

If the defense can't, then it will be just like last year chasing the other teams offense.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Well then. This should align with the joint practices.

Puff puff pass big man.......

johneric8

Reaction score
You do realize that Micah Parsons is 6"3 at 246 lbs right? Bobby wagner has done well over the years at 6" and 242 lbs which is lighter and shorter than Parsons... Sometimes I wonder if you just love to nut roll..

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You do realize that Micah Parsons is 6"3 at 246 lbs right? Bobby wagner has done well over the years at 6" and 242 lbs which is lighter and shorter than Parsons... Sometimes I wonder if you just love to nut roll..

You do realize that both Neal and Cox are smaller than Parsons right?

Or are you too distracted by the amazing job McCarthy did last year?