Twitter: Keanu Neal hopes to be big 'hit' in move to linebacker

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bully describes a behavior rather than size/weight. And I’m not sure I’d call Cox undersized for a rookie linebacker. He must be about 6’3 and 230lbs which is probably above average. I’m expecting him to play at 245lbs with a year or two in the NFL system.

Is that right? Size has nothing to do with it?

Jabril Cox got drafted for his coverage ability. He struggles to defend the run. He is the exact opposite of a bully. Like a safety trying to play linebacker is too.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Bully describes a behavior rather than size/weight. And I’m not sure I’d call Cox undersized for a rookie linebacker. He must be about 6’3 and 230lbs which is probably above average. I’m expecting him to play at 245lbs with a year or two in the NFL system.
It was obvious in this draft that alpha dog profile was a specific character trait that rated highly/elevated ranking.

johneric8

Reaction score
You do realize that both Neal and Cox are smaller than Parsons right?

Or are you too distracted by the amazing job McCarthy did last year?
You're the one that said we had shrimps when our #1 pick didn't quite ship in that small package you suggested. Big Mike did fine, it was a no off season year, lighten up.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
How are we going to be bullies with two undersized linebackers? You do realize both Neal and Cox would get planted into the dirt by any OL reaching the second level?.......
.......If they can catch 'em. :flagwave:

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You're the one that said we had shrimps when our #1 pick didn't quite ship in that small package you suggested. Big Mike did fine, it was a no off season year, lighten up.

I said we had two undersized LBs out of the three that were mentioned.

How are we going to be bullies with two undersized linebackers? You do realize both Neal and Cox would get planted into the dirt by any OL reaching the second level?

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/kea...t-in-move-to-linebacker.478758/#post-10991413

1) Neal
2) Cox

You're confusing yourself with Parsons.

I agree on McCarthy. He was outstanding during that 6-10 season that gave us the worst defense in team history because he hired his buddy.

I'd bet dollars to donuts you paint your face for games.

johneric8

Reaction score

How are we going to be bullies with two undersized linebackers? You do realize both Neal and Cox would get planted into the dirt by any OL reaching the second level?

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/kea...t-in-move-to-linebacker.478758/#post-10991413

1) Neal
2) Cox

I agree on McCarthy. He was outstanding during that 6-10 season that gave us the worst defense in team history because he hired his buddy.

I still don't think you're putting enough stock in the amount of playing time that parsons will end up getting, but whatever.
and for your info, I don't put money in Jerry's pockets and go to games. I'm the kind of guy that chills with my family and has a few drinks
and enjoys the circus.. I will admit though that I'll be the first in line for a Boss Man Fat jersey if he is good.. I just want that name on a jersey for giggles..
Yes, big mike screwed up with Nolan, but he is way better than garrett you shall see.. Keep the faith on sire of "likes"..

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I still don't think you're putting enough stock in the amount of playing time that parsons will end up getting, but whatever.
and for your info, I don't put money in Jerry's pockets and go to games. I'm the kind of guy that chills with my family and has a few drinks
and enjoys the circus.. I will admit though that I'll be the first in line for a Boss Man Fat jersey if he is good.. I just want that name on a jersey for giggles..
Yes, big mike screwed up with Nolan, but he is way better than garrett you shall see.. Keep the faith on sire of "likes"..

You're right. I should factor in Parsons' playing time when someone says the Cowboys will bully with Neal and Cox.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
You're right. I should factor in Parsons' playing time when someone says the Cowboys will bully with Neal and Cox.
Neal will have a more defined role, I dont know why everyone thinks that Cox will or even needs to be a vital cog in this defense, that wont be the case.
Cox wasnt drafted to fill a role this year, he was just great value when he was sitting there is all.
He adds good depth and an opportunity to assist on STs, nickle packages, and depth behind Jaylon and Neal at WLB.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Hard to do your job when the DL can't do theirs. And the offense is 5 yards upfield on you before you realize you need to try to make a play because you have to change your assignment. For which was never really explained by Nolan.

Thats what happens when the entire DLine is devoid of talent and undersized tackles.

ondaedg

Reaction score
LVE has never done that. LVE attacks the ball. He's just been inhibited by injury. He'll be back to his old self in 2021... the wolf hunter.

He is good in space and pursuit but I can’t recall him playing like a physical LB. Big difference between his playing style and say a Rolando McClain.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
He is good in space and pursuit but I can’t recall him playing like a physical LB. Big difference between his playing style and say a Rolando McClain.
Then my advice is to stop relying on your memory and review the tape. LVE was an aggressive ball-seeking missile prior to his injury.

johneric8

Reaction score
You do realize that Cox and Neal are known to be quite physical right? If you factor in the history of these players and what we had if you're including parsons it's not that difficult to
suggest they will be more physical. There is no doubt that Quinn wants more of a bully mentality in terms of attitude and physical attributes.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You do realize that Cox and Neal are known to be quite physical right? If you factor in the history of these players and what we had if you're including parsons it's not that difficult to
suggest they will be more physical. There is no doubt that Quinn wants more of a bully mentality in terms of attitude and physical attributes.

No Cox isn't known to be quite physical. You made that up. Neal was physical....for a safety. For a LB he's undersized and not a bully.

If Quinn wants more of a bully mentality he messed up acquiring these two players. They aren't that.

johneric8

Reaction score
No Cox isn't known to be quite physical. You made that up. Neal was physical....for a safety. For a LB he's undersized and not a bully.

If Quinn wants more of a bully mentality he messed up acquiring these two players. They aren't that.
It wasn't something I made up.. When I read his profile it talked about him matching up physically with tight coverage so I took that for what it is, but to say that the linbacker core as a hole doesn't have a chance to be way more physical is short sided at best.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

1) Neal
2) Cox

I'm curious because of his coverage ability if Cox doesn't eventually end up at strong safety, following the path of Darren Woodson. He may put on some size to stay at linebacker, but at his current size, he'd be a good-sized strong safety and wouldn't have to worry about taking on OL as much.

I think Neal is being moved to linebacker because he's better as a run defender than he is as a pass defender, so we want to limit his coverage responsibilities while giving him a chance to hit.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It wasn't something I made up.. When I read his profile it talked about him matching up physically with tight coverage so I took that for what it is, but to say that the linbacker core as a hole doesn't have a chance to be way more physical is short sided at best.

Ah that was it. Tight physical coverage. That's what you read.

Anyway, no scout would ever describe Cox as physical. That was the one knock against him. It's why he was still there in the 4th round. He can get washed in the run game because he's undersized. Much like Neal can too. Neither can take on a block so neither are physical LBs. Which is why they are not nor will they ever be described as bullies.

Seems like you're just not capable of reading any criticism on this team. Even if you have to talk nonsense to defend it.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
You do realize that both Neal and Cox are smaller than Parsons right?

Or are you too distracted by the amazing job McCarthy did last year?

Smaller, faster, more physical means we need more bodies because we should expect more breakage than usual.

I like that Parsons is full sized. Don't want our best LB to be part of the breakage.

ondaedg

Reaction score
Then my advice is to stop relying on your memory and review the tape. LVE was an aggressive ball-seeking missile prior to his injury.

He was aggressive no doubt but he wasn’t a hit you in the mouth kind of guy. I think if you watched the tape you’d see that. I just watched the Falcons game from 2018 and he made some great plays even coming off blocks but he didn’t play what I call physical for a lb.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
He was aggressive no doubt but he wasn’t a hit you in the mouth kind of guy. I think if you watched the tape you’d see that. I just watched the Falcons game from 2018 and he made some great plays even coming off blocks but he didn’t play what I call physical for a lb.
You watched one game? You are judging him on one game?

ondaedg

Reaction score
You watched one game? You are judging him on one game?

I’m not judging him as bad and thought he had a great rookie season actually. I’ve already watched his 2018 highlight video and it clearly shows a good open field tackler with instincts but not a smash mouth lb.