Keep doing nothing - don't deviate

Jipper

Reaction score
All in or all out.

At this point the team has spent ~11MM on contracts and has signed a single FA, that is the definition of doing nothing to improve the team. At the same time, they have let a substantial amount of overpaid / dead weight players go and have refused to negotiate with DAK (outside of a couple exploratory convos).

Based on this, if they keep going as they are, they would sign a few lower level FA's to fill gaps and use their draft capital to bring on what the can, roll with Dak and setup to be in a good spot cap wise entering 2025.

If they deviate off this and throw a boat load of money at dak, or over pay for some mid level FA's then they are going to end up somewhere in the middle...

Stay the course being all out at this point...if they deviate and dont hold to the strategy then we are going to be worse than if they had resigned dak and went after a bunch of FA's....

I for one am sick of this team being just good enough to be competitive but not good enough to win anything...this strategy of doing nothing and not resigning Dak could actually help in the long run....

JBS

Reaction score
This idea that you guys have that this team is going to win 5 games next season is absolutely mind boggling. Even if they sign absolutely nobody the rest of the offseason - this team will still be at worst a middle of the pack team. Which accomplishes nothing. The rebuild doesn’t officially begin until this team hits rock bottom and gets a top 5 pick. Or trades assets to obtain said pick.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
This idea that you guys have that this team is going to win 5 games next season is absolutely mind boggling. Even if they sign absolutely nobody the rest of the offseason - this team will still be at worst a middle of the pack team. Which accomplishes nothing. The rebuild doesn’t officially begin until this team hits rock bottom and gets a top 5 pick. Or trades assets to obtain said pick.
Well we have #11 on the roster for sure another year, he guarantees us at least 3 wins somehow by himself! I agree we'd have to hit rock bottom, but would that even be enough for Jerry and Stephen to start making moves to be a relevant team.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I sort of agree, but I think there is one major issue. On paper right now I would project this team to win 9 games (So I may be more pessimistic than most to be fair)....that assumes perfect health though. What does this team look like with an injury to Lamb? Parsons? Smith/Martin?

This roster has some serious talent that has to make other teams envious, however this team has a mixture of top end guys with JAGs at several positions and really lacks depth across the board. 1-2 injuries to key players I think could easily result in a 5 win year. I just don't see the depth for them to overcome a star player being out for several weeks.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
Dallas is all in this season. It is looking like Super Bowl or bust for a number of guys. The problem is they are all in preflop with pocket 10s. Pocket 10s could win but too many hands beat it once the flop, turn, and river are shown.

Cowfan75Lives

Reaction score
All in or all out.

At this point the team has spent ~11MM on contracts and has signed a single FA, that is the definition of doing nothing to improve the team. At the same time, they have let a substantial amount of overpaid / dead weight players go and have refused to negotiate with DAK (outside of a couple exploratory convos).

Based on this, if they keep going as they are, they would sign a few lower level FA's to fill gaps and use their draft capital to bring on what the can, roll with Dak and setup to be in a good spot cap wise entering 2025.

If they deviate off this and throw a boat load of money at dak, or over pay for some mid level FA's then they are going to end up somewhere in the middle...

Stay the course being all out at this point...if they deviate and dont hold to the strategy then we are going to be worse than if they had resigned dak and went after a bunch of FA's....

I for one am sick of this team being just good enough to be competitive but not good enough to win anything...this strategy of doing nothing and not resigning Dak could actually help in the long run....
I agree, but I still think Cap Boy extends Dak at the last minute, then says all their focus had to go into securing Duck.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Well we have #11 on the roster for sure another year, he guarantees us at least 3 wins somehow by himself! I agree we'd have to hit rock bottom, but would that even be enough for Jerry and Stephen to start making moves to be a relevant team.
Four more years for Parsons without extending him.

Fourth year this year. Fifth year option, and two tag years, should it come to that.

They don’t don’t like to take advantage of rookie deals….more like overpay all the stars then claim to be broke.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score

And it stars with picking a direction, preferably yesterday, but not next offseason. Not doing a dak contract right now or before the year only to just go ahead and end up eventually resigning him next offseason or mid season is just ridiculous. If that’s the case it should have been done ahead of free agency.

You could argue right now, from the point the season ended to today they are already in the middle. 1 foot in a cap reset and 1 foot competing.

Creeper

Reaction score
I am getting old. Actually, I am already old. I can't wait another 29 years for Dallas to win something. I'd rather they go all in now, even if it cripple them CAP-wise next year or the year after. But if they blow this up, Jerry is not turning it around quickly. He hasn't been able to do that for 30 years what evidence that doing it now would be different.

And consider this, Jerry has apparently doubled down on his free agent philosophy. Now he seems willing to allow his best players to walk rather than pay them. He made a comment that he could afford 5 players for what CeeDee will cost. How long does he try that before he realizes that won't work either?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I will let it all ride out until after the draft, and right before TC to form more of an opinion about the roster.
PS still won't tell us much, as the starters or projected starters will not get much playing time. And some will get none.

None of us truly knows what this team will be. On paper probably less than last year based on them doing nothing so far.
Then again, all teams change from year to year. Well most teams. KC and SF stayed pretty much the same over the past 3 or 4 years.
Actually Dallas has as well, just no playoff success.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
I am getting old. Actually, I am already old. I can't wait another 29 years for Dallas to win something. I'd rather they go all in now, even if it cripple them CAP-wise next year or the year after. But if they blow this up, Jerry is not turning it around quickly. He hasn't been able to do that for 30 years what evidence that doing it now would be different.

And consider this, Jerry has apparently doubled down on his free agent philosophy. Now he seems willing to allow his best players to walk rather than pay them. He made a comment that he could afford 5 players for what CeeDee will cost. How long does he try that before he realizes that won't work either?
I hear you and I understand your frustration. But you must consider WHO/WHOM would be going "all-in" and making those decisions. Nah...I'd rather they back out if they themselves don't believe in Rayne Dakota...

CTcowboy203

Reaction score

Exactly. Not getting the extensions or maneuvering done ahead of the free agency period and basically taking our medicine this year and likely more so next year essentially is them just extending that streak. They may not outright say that but the actions do. The team needed some additions, not even huge bank breaking ones but some switches to the peripheral instead they essentially did a quiet tear down.

It’ll be magnified worse next offseason when they still extend dak after all this

Cowboys93

Reaction score
Doing nothing is the worst case scenario here. If they’re going to tank don’t waste 2024 by being a middle of the pack team by the high end talent

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
All in or all out.

I am with you. Either S or get off the pot. Looks like they're getting off the pot. Better than status quo. But we just know they'll screw it up.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Exactly lol. They aren’t even tanking effectively. They will continue to be middle of the pack lol.

cowboyfan4life2

Reaction score
We are the seinfeld of the NFL a team about nothing. Other teams are making. Moves we will do nothing.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dallas is all in this season. It is looking like Super Bowl or bust for a number of guys. The problem is they are all in preflop with pocket 10s. Pocket 10s could win but too many hands beat it once the flop, turn, and river are shown.
I shall have to ponder this comment for a bit.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
2024 will not be a wasted season. They will be right in the middle of the playoff hunt. Get to the playoffs where anything can and will happen.
I do not buy into the one and done crap. Yes it has been that way for years. But still anything can happen.

No team made great strides with any big name signings that one can say put them over the top.
Now many teams did not lose any ground either. They lost players, they signed players.

As I been saying, wait and see what happens in the draft. Which I am not excited about it as usual. They need to hit on at least 3 players that will start or contribute heavily.
As no FA at this point will fill those spots unless they get very lucky.