Keep doing nothing - don't deviate

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Four more years for Parsons without extending him.

Fourth year this year. Fifth year option, and two tag years, should it come to that.

They don’t don’t like to take advantage of rookie deals….more like overpay all the stars then claim to be broke.
your last sentence says it all

Creeper

Reaction score
I hear you and I understand your frustration. But you must consider WHO/WHOM would be going "all-in" and making those decisions. Nah...I'd rather they back out if they themselves don't believe in Rayne Dakota...
Let me be clear, I am not even talking about Dak. I am more concerned with letting CeeDee and Micah go when their contracts are up because Jerry will nt pay them market value. This idea that he can afford 5 guys for 1 CeeDee will doom Dallas for years.

As for Dak, I will say it again, Dak is a good QB but he has done nothing to convince me he should get $60 million, or even $55 million. IMO, he never earned the $40 million he got last time. If Dak is asking for $60 million I would tell him right now, if that is his final offer the Cowboys will be moving on from him. If he wants to play football in 2024 he has to work out a trade with another team because he will be sitting on the bench in Dallas for the entire year while we look at other options. Dak screwed Dallas on his last deal and I would not let that happen again.

jujoboys

Reaction score
If Dallas is really looking to rebuild and rebuild without Dak being the QB after 2024 then they would be better off just trading him now. It makes no sense to go into the season with a team that is less talented than the one last year and expect to do better. I'm sure Dak would be willing to waive the no trade clause if Jerry told him that the plan going forward was to rebuild and we traded him to a desirable location.

However, I'm not sure that Jerry is thinking that way. I think there is till the possibility that Dak gets extended prior to the start of the season. Jerry has a tendency to hold onto players and coaches longer than he should. My worst fear is that we allow Dak to play the season on his current contract and allow him to enter free agency. Then Jerry gets into a bidding war with other teams over Dak and signs him to a ridiculous contract. That is the most undesirable outcome in this whole situation for me.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
If Dallas is really looking to rebuild and rebuild without Dak being the QB after 2024 then they would be better off just trading him now. It makes no sense to go into the season with a team that is less talented than the one last year and expect to do better. I'm sure Dak would be willing to waive the no trade clause if Jerry told him that the plan going forward was to rebuild and we traded him to a desirable location.

However, I'm not sure that Jerry is thinking that way. I think there is till the possibility that Dak gets extended prior to the start of the season. Jerry has a tendency to hold onto players and coaches longer than he should. My worst fear is that we allow Dak to play the season on his current contract and allow him to enter free agency. Then Jerry gets into a bidding war with other teams over Dak and signs him to a ridiculous contract. That is the most undesirable outcome in this whole situation for me.
The last paragraph is my fear!!!!!!!!

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
All in or all out.

At this point the team has spent ~11MM on contracts and has signed a single FA, that is the definition of doing nothing to improve the team. At the same time, they have let a substantial amount of overpaid / dead weight players go and have refused to negotiate with DAK (outside of a couple exploratory convos).

Based on this, if they keep going as they are, they would sign a few lower level FA's to fill gaps and use their draft capital to bring on what the can, roll with Dak and setup to be in a good spot cap wise entering 2025.

If they deviate off this and throw a boat load of money at dak, or over pay for some mid level FA's then they are going to end up somewhere in the middle...

Stay the course being all out at this point...if they deviate and dont hold to the strategy then we are going to be worse than if they had resigned dak and went after a bunch of FA's....

I for one am sick of this team being just good enough to be competitive but not good enough to win anything...this strategy of doing nothing and not resigning Dak could actually help in the long run....
Sounds good.
I just don't know why Jerry made the all in comment and got our hopes up?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sounds good.
I just don't know why Jerry made the all in comment and got our hopes up?
Because Jones knew what he meant by 'All in' would not be interpreted by others in the same way. 'All in' is a common term most people understand outside the poker analogy as George Teague framed it. It is far from being the first time something that came out of his mouth said one thing and his actions said something different.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

A desirable location would be a Super Bowl contender. Which currently projected Super Bowl contending team would want to trade for Dak Prescott?

blueblood70

Reaction score
All in or all out.

At this point the team has spent ~11MM on contracts and has signed a single FA, that is the definition of doing nothing to improve the team. At the same time, they have let a substantial amount of overpaid / dead weight players go and have refused to negotiate with DAK (outside of a couple exploratory convos).

Based on this, if they keep going as they are, they would sign a few lower level FA's to fill gaps and use their draft capital to bring on what the can, roll with Dak and setup to be in a good spot cap wise entering 2025.

If they deviate off this and throw a boat load of money at dak, or over pay for some mid level FA's then they are going to end up somewhere in the middle...

Stay the course being all out at this point...if they deviate and dont hold to the strategy then we are going to be worse than if they had resigned dak and went after a bunch of FA's....

I for one am sick of this team being just good enough to be competitive but not good enough to win anything...this strategy of doing nothing and not resigning Dak could actually help in the long
how about we stop making daily posts or even weekly posts about things not being done until training camp??

because only then will the draft have passed and the free agent pool will be swam in more, after the draft there will be trades made ,all the way up to this six month process before the season starts so you can keep posting about nothing and we could turn this into a funny Seinfeld show about nothing because the zone likes to post about things that are not being done without waiting for them to be done...

Which by the way,​
I believe they will find a lot of available free agents who will improve this team just because they didn't participate in that first week to 10 days of craziness with the high price guys they're waiting till after the draft it's obvious they want to see which guys they pick up in the draft, ONLY then they will go into the very large leftover free agent pool which will grow by the way after the draft also trades can be made within the draft and all the way up to the trade deadline to build this team..​
You gotta love it when egomaniacal fan base think that things revolve around their time frame with a list of things that should be being done even though it's coming from somewhere outside of the realm of a professional football team you know you genius internet doctors and football professionals LMAO ,​
this teams actual pros have been doing this for a very long time in some capacity, that includes the front office ,all of the scouts, the coaching staff etc​
I think they have it more figured out than you and all of you who think you know more about professional football than this group then you can complain on a daily basis about things not happening six months before game 1.​
The same group that said we were going to have a historically bad offseason, was going to make for a very bad season, we made it to the second round of the playoffs a few years ago when that was being the word of the day...​
now it's just doing nothing ,keep doing nothing , before it was a historically bad offseason that turneed into a very good season..​
when are y'all going to learn to be a little more patient and let's wait to see what group they put on the field they will build this roster eventually and then we can see a few games maybe watch the season and complain after the season but to not even let this process play out and complain on a daily basis ,like you're waiting for them to do nothing, so you can make a post about nothing, being done about nothing.... so it's a nothing post, so the post is what to complain more?? they're already about 14 or 15 of those you couldn't keep posting under those you had to have your brand new one???​
Please don't reply with we have 28 years of proof that it's goanna be a failed season because we're not going to do anything in the playoffs... I'm tired of hearing about that as well let's see this year this offseason what they're going to do about building this roster up to compete and until then stop posting that nothing's being done because there's nothing to post if nothing's being done which by the way, I also don't buy the fact that Prescott still might be extended and giving the new contract up to a week before the season starts that's still in play even though things are being said in public, that's called posturing..​
The fact is the Dallas Cowboys Jerry Jones all live rent free in your heads because that's all you can talk about you on the daily are checking the headlines and checking all the stories and using your copy and paste complaints all over the Internet...​
it's ridiculous you say you don't care that you're giving up you hate the front office you think it's a circus and it's full of clowns that don't know what they're doing, even though they put 36 wins two division titles in a division in which you all seem to love with Howie Roseman does but yet we took the division from them twice in the last three years, have been in the playoffs three straight years ,been in the playoffs 5 out of eight years Daks been healthy but it's not coming together quick enough so you're going to complain that there's nothing's being done so you can complain about nothing being done on a daily basis and let this thing play out a little bit more...UGHH!!!! :facepalm: :eek::rolleyes:

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All in or all out.

I for one am sick of this team being just good enough to be competitive but not good enough to win anything...this strategy of doing nothing and not resigning Dak could actually help in the long run....
Bless your heart thinking they have a strategy.

jujoboys

Reaction score
A desirable location would be a Super Bowl contender. Which currently projected Super Bowl contending team would want to trade for Dak Prescott?
If Dak thinks he can just jump to a Super Bowl contending team then he is delusional. Most Super Bowl contending teams already have a franchise QB. That's why they are considered Super Bowl contending. I think he would be interested in quite a few teams if he thought they had a shot to get to the playoffs quickly (next 2 or 3 years). It's not like he is 38 and in the last year of his career. I could name a few right off my head that may be interested if we shopped him and he may be interested in going to:

Minnesota - they definitely need a QB. They have picks 11 and 23 in the draft and the top 3 teams may be taking a QB meaning they get the 4th best QB in the draft if they move up. They aren't very far off from the playoffs
Las Vegas - I can't imagine they aren't thinking they need an upgrade from Aidan O'Connell. Gardner Minshew was signed to compete with him. This is a team that isn't far from being a playoff contender
Denver - Same situation as Minny - May be too far down in the draft to get a top QB. Their QB room is awful right now. Playing QB for Sean Payton may be tempting for Dak.
Seattle - probably not an option due to Geno Smith's contract and Seattle's cap situation but he is 34 and they could see this as an upgrade to a younger option. Not far off from playoff contention

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
Let me be clear, I am not even talking about Dak. I am more concerned with letting CeeDee and Micah go when their contracts are up because Jerry will nt pay them market value. This idea that he can afford 5 guys for 1 CeeDee will doom Dallas for years.

As for Dak, I will say it again, Dak is a good QB but he has done nothing to convince me he should get $60 million, or even $55 million. IMO, he never earned the $40 million he got last time. If Dak is asking for $60 million I would tell him right now, if that is his final offer the Cowboys will be moving on from him. If he wants to play football in 2024 he has to work out a trade with another team because he will be sitting on the bench in Dallas for the entire year while we look at other options. Dak screwed Dallas on his last deal and I would not let that happen again.
I'm 50/50 on Micah...all in on CeeDee. We need more beef than bun around here...no Diddy.

Jipper

Reaction score
Bless your heart thinking they have a strategy.
bless your heart for thinking you can bless my heart, no like for you - I never said I think they have a strategy...i said to simply keep doing what they are doing (or not doing) in this case....

Rayman70

Reaction score
Trading Micah or Ceedee makes too much sense when u see how many holes we must fill.

maryquality

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Dallas is all in this season. It is looking like Super Bowl or bust for a number of guys. The problem is they are all in preflop with pocket 10s. Pocket 10s could win but too many hands beat it once the flop, turn, and river are shown.
Nice Texas Hold 'em reference. :clap:

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
bless your heart for thinking you can bless my heart, no like for you - I never said I think they have a strategy...i said to simply keep doing what they are doing (or not doing) in this case....

I should have known when you said this...

this strategy of doing nothing and not resigning Dak could actually help in the long run

...that you weren't saying they had a strategy.

I must pay more attention.

Jipper

Reaction score
I should have known when you said this...

this strategy of doing nothing and not resigning Dak could actually help in the long run

...that you weren't saying they had a strategy.

I must pay more attention.
Ooh burned

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Dak thinks he can just jump to a Super Bowl contending team then he is delusional. Most Super Bowl contending teams already have a franchise QB. That's why they are considered Super Bowl contending. I think he would be interested in quite a few teams if he thought they had a shot to get to the playoffs quickly (next 2 or 3 years). It's not like he is 38 and in the last year of his career. I could name a few right off my head that may be interested if we shopped him and he may be interested in going to:

Minnesota - they definitely need a QB. They have picks 11 and 23 in the draft and the top 3 teams may be taking a QB meaning they get the 4th best QB in the draft if they move up. They aren't very far off from the playoffs
Las Vegas - I can't imagine they aren't thinking they need an upgrade from Aidan O'Connell. Gardner Minshew was signed to compete with him. This is a team that isn't far from being a playoff contender
Denver - Same situation as Minny - May be too far down in the draft to get a top QB. Their QB room is awful right now. Playing QB for Sean Payton may be tempting for Dak.
Seattle - probably not an option due to Geno Smith's contract and Seattle's cap situation but he is 34 and they could see this as an upgrade to a younger option. Not far off from playoff contention
The vast majority of professional athletes over-inflate their capabilities. Only a minority are actually top-tier in their individual sports.

Dak Prescott has been an NFL MVP candidate, accumulated a ton of statistics, along with a ton of high profile commercial endorsements, help the team to reach the postseason for a number of years, and is paid like a top-tier quarterback.

All things considered, I think anyone, no matter how humble they might be, actually think they are one of the best at their position under those circumstances. If that makes him delusional, so be it. If it is true, why would he permit a trade when he has everything he wants already?

That said, I would think he MIGHT consider the Vikings or Raiders in any possible trade scenario. Minnesota's defense is still lacking but their offense can be explosive when its clicking--something which Prescott has experienced in Dallas. Las Vegas has a pretty stout defense, solid offensive line and good receiving corps. Josh Jacobs jumped ship for Green Bay but that is the only hard negative against the Raiders, ESPECIALLY after they ditched Josh McDaniels.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Because Jones knew what he meant by 'All in' would not be interpreted by others in the same way. 'All in' is a common term most people understand outside the poker analogy as George Teague framed it. It is far from being the first time something that came out of his mouth said one thing and his actions said something different.
Understood,
But Jerry is a master salesman
And he knew exactly how fans would take that comment.
He really screwed up from a marketing perspective.
That is not like him to make such a blunder in this area.