CFZ Keep Tyron and McGovern

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Dallas should keep both Tyron Smith and Connor McGovern next year.

With Steele injured, he is going to be in recovery through the entire offseason. It will take a minimum of 9 months for Steele to recover, meaning he’ll likely miss the first month of the 2023 season. Keeping Tyron Smith allows the Cowboys to slide Tyler Smith to a right tackle and gives him a full offseason to adjust to the move.

McGovern is not a great NFL talent at guard. But you cannot afford to have stars at every position. McGovern is likely to be fairly inexpensive to resign. He can play both guard and center, so he provides quality depth at both positions, even if you move Tyler Smith to Guard when Steele returns next October.

Lastly, Steele is a restricted free agent, meaning the Cowboys only need to tender an offer to retain his services. The bigger question is what level of offer they will tender, 1st round, 2nd round, or draft position. I’m betting they offer him a first round tender, and then try to negotiate a long-term deal during the season.

Finally, the Cowboys have to concentrate on developing players like Farniok, Ball and Waletzko. It is debatable if Peters will go back into retirement, but since he lives in East Texas, the Cowboys might offer him a position, if they need him, after the season starts. But I would like to see the Cowboys offer Peters a coaching position.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I don't think you keep moving Tyler Smith around. You have a potential top 10 player at either LG or LT, I see no reason to flip him to the right side now and learn another new position, especially if you are going to move him again when Steele comes back. Let the kid settle in at a position for once.

Plus you can save roughly $10MM by cutting/trading Tyron. Assuming McGovern gets a Connor Williams type of deal next season you are looking at $15-20MM in cap space between these two guys you save by not having them on the roster next year. Who knows what players will still actually be available come the start of free agency, but you could in theory go get an Orlando Brown for that money and bring in a LT in the prime of their career.

CashMan

Reaction score

With Steele injured, he is going to be in recovery through the entire offseason. It will take a minimum of 9 months for Steele to recover, meaning he’ll likely miss the first month of the 2023 season. Keeping Tyron Smith allows the Cowboys to slide Tyler Smith to a right tackle and gives him a full offseason to adjust to the move.

McGovern is not a great NFL talent at guard. But you cannot afford to have stars at every position. McGovern is likely to be fairly inexpensive to resign. He can play both guard and center, so he provides quality depth at both positions, even if you move Tyler Smith to Guard when Steele returns next October.

Lastly, Steele is a restricted free agent, meaning the Cowboys only need to tender an offer to retain his services. The bigger question is what level of offer they will tender, 1st round, 2nd round, or draft position. I’m betting they offer him a first round tender, and then try to negotiate a long-term deal during the season.

Finally, the Cowboys have to concentrate on developing players like Farniok, Ball and Waletzko. It is debatable if Peters will go back into retirement, but since he lives in East Texas, the Cowboys might offer him a position, if they need him, after the season starts. But I would like to see the Cowboys offer Peters a coaching position.
Tyler has already played a pretty good LT, if anything you slide Tyron over to RT.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
If we are already talking about next season then, Tyron Smith should be forced to retire. Put Tyler Smith at LT, McG at LG, Biadasz at C, and Zack at RG, and offer the RT job to Jason Peters until Steele is back late next year.

JBS

Reaction score
Initial reports were that Steele will be ready for camp

recovery for an OL probably isn’t the same as a skill player

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

McGovern will get a contract (somewhere) similar to Connor Williams with Miami which was about 7.5M per.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

No, Tyron has experience on the right side. Tyler does not.

Tyron played RT in college and his rookie season in the NFL.

Tyler was left side in high school, college and now in the NFL.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Watch what the Cowboys do in the draft. All the clues you need will be given then. I know they like their depth. I think there are a couple of potential good ones there. But, they go OL on day one or two and there's a big clue what they are thinking.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
McGovern will get a contract (somewhere) similar to Connor Williams with Miami which was about 7.5M per.
Really think he is getting that type of contract? I would like them to resign him, but for that type of money, not happening.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
No, Tyron has experience on the right side. Tyler does not.

Tyron played RT in college and his rookie season in the NFL.

Tyler was left side in high school, college and now in the NFL.
I don't like their decision on Ball/Peters playing RT this season. I would leave the left side along and start Tyron at RT, where he has played in the past.

quickccc

Reaction score
Really think he is getting that type of contract? I would like them to resign him, but for that type of money, not happening.

- Some team is gonna see McGovern as a Conner Williams to Miami type success, ..and overpay for him.
That's the nature business of NFL free agency. Even average players tend to get overvalued and overpaid in FA.
ala Anthony Hitchen, Damien Wilson, Jeremy Parnell, etc.

- Cowboys did not have future plans for Williams at OG, or even C, because they apparently thought so much of Tyler Biadaz
Thus they allowed a former 2nd rd pick to walk as an UFA.
Ironically Williams has turned into one of the better pivot centers in the NFL.
Will Biadaz be at that stage ?

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'm not sure they like the idea of paying that much money for tyron to be a backup. but they also gotta know he won't start all 17 games either. Not sure what the balance can be, restructure/ pay cut etc but he needs to be the swing tackle. I'd keep McG for the right price.

Beaker42

Reaction score
We need to keep diving for OL. McGovern should be a back-up, not a starter. He’s average.

blueblood70

Reaction score
If we are already talking about next season then, Tyron Smith should be forced to retire. Put Tyler Smith at LT, McG at LG, Biadasz at C, and Zack at RG, and offer the RT job to Jason Peters until Steele is back late next year.
not forced, have a respectful meeting that they plan to keep 73 at LT next season and If he wants to stay at a discount and be the swing tackle and help top develop Ball/wally, if he doesn't like that, he will retire. If peters can be team player and not start so can 77..they both most likely HOFers

blueblood70

Reaction score
I don't think you keep moving Tyler Smith around. You have a potential top 10 player at either LG or LT, I see no reason to flip him to the right side now and learn another new position, especially if you are going to move him again when Steele comes back. Let the kid settle in at a position for once.

Plus you can save roughly $10MM by cutting/trading Tyron. Assuming McGovern gets a Connor Williams type of deal next season you are looking at $15-20MM in cap space between these two guys you save by not having them on the roster next year. Who knows what players will still actually be available come the start of free agency, but you could in theory go get an Orlando Brown for that money and bring in a LT in the prime of their career.
agreed 73 needs to be the 2023-future LT

Ball, as much as was made about his few series he played , the film breakdown showed only 2 bad pays and one caused and INT but really like we did with Steele, Ball can develop. He wasn't chaz green bad LOL

On 2023- 77-have a respectful meeting that they plan to keep 73 at LT next season and If he wants to stay at a discount and be the swing tackle and help top develop Ball/wally, if he doesn't like that, he will retire. If peters can be team player and not start so can 77..they both most likely HOFers

Creeper

Reaction score
McGovern is a starting guard in the NFL. We will be shocked by the contract he gets with another team. Miami paid Connor Williams so I am sure someone will pay McGovern.

The Cowboys have some big free agent questions in 2023. The top tier questions are Pollard, LVE, Schultz, Donovan Wilson, Cooper Rush, Anthony Brown. Do they try to sign all these guys? Can they afford to? Normally, signing RBs is not a great idea and I think Pollard will get some good offers from other teams. But he is a big weapon for Dallas and RBs can be found in the draft, Pollard is special. I want him back, but I think his salary is going to be prohibitive, unless they dump Zeke which I do not think Jerry will do. I'd let Schultz go. LVE and Wilson are both big questions. LVE can be replaced by Clark and Cox. That would give Dallas a very fast LB corp. Brown probably on't be healthy by the time the Free Agent signing period starts so the decision to sign him may come after the draft.

McGovern falls into the 2nd tier in my opinion. He will be replaced by Tyler Smith. Farniok can be the backup. Tyron will pay LT. When he gets hurt, the move Farniok to G and Tyler Smith to LT. That's how they started 2022. McGovern is not a priority IMO. Other Tier 2 questions are Carlos Watkins, Dante Fowler, James Washington, Johnathan Hankins, Luke Gifford, and Noah Brown. They will be thin at DT if they don't sign Watkins and it will be worse if they don't sign Hankins. They will need to draft another DT or 2 in 2023. But they will also need to draft OL I think. And CB could ne a big need as well.

Noah Brown is another interesting question. They signed Washington and Hilton for only 1 year so 3 WRs are FAs in 2023

Another important question is what to do with Maher. He has been really dependable this year. He is a FA in 2023 as well.

As for CAP space, the Cowboys will probably be just under the CAP going into 2023 but they can create some space but dumping salaries and restructuring a few guys. They won't be swimming in CAP space but they will be able to make serious offers to some of their own Free Agents.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Do you mean next year ? Why ?

Yes. Several factors.
Injury being in December. The recovery timeline for that kind of injury to a large individual to play NFL level football. He may be "back" at some point next year but I wouldn't really expect him to be fully back until 2024. He becomes an RFA at end of this season. Injury just further complicates how you plan his role in the future.

With questions already surrounding Tyron's future now you are potentially dealing with 3 positions on the Oline. Complicated by health issues regarding your two T's on which you may have to basically guess when it comes to your assumptions you build on. Tyron, Terrence and CMcG (up for contract). So, you are going to have to make some hard decisions concerning when & where you spend dollars, draft picks, count on player development or look to the open market. Oh and although I love bringing in Peters this year, are you really going to count on him another year older in your assumptions? Just a lot of unknowns.

If Terrence doesn't get injured, it's a much more manageable \ comfortable offseason as regards the O line.