CFZ Keep Tyron and McGovern

quickccc

Reaction score
Yes. Several factors.
Injury being in December. The recovery timeline for that kind of injury to a large individual to play NFL level football. He may be "back" at some point next year but I wouldn't really expect him to be fully back until 2024. He becomes an RFA at end of this season. Injury just further complicates how you plan his role in the future.

With questions already surrounding Tyron's future now you are potentially dealing with 3 positions on the Oline. Complicated by health issues regarding your two T's on which you may have to basically guess when it comes to your assumptions you build on. Tyron, Terrence and CMcG (up for contract). So, you are going to have to make some hard decisions concerning when & where you spend dollars, draft picks, count on player development or look to the open market. Oh and although I love bringing in Peters this year, are you really going to count on him another year older in your assumptions? Just a lot of unknowns.

If Terrence doesn't get injured, it's a much more manageable \ comfortable offseason as regards the O line.

- Injuries and recovery varies among players.
Some are quicker recoveries than others, while some slower than others.
Conner Williams torn his ACL, but was back by the Game one of regular season - while Trysten Hill tore his ACL during the reg season but
did not return until missed half into the following reg. season

- As far as new contracts, Gallup was only recovering from ACL from late last year playoffs,, but yet the Cowboys re-signed him long term.

- Tyron's position is already forecasted in the future with Tyler Smith. That's what Tyler was drafted for. I'm not concerned with the LT role.

- Imo, The bigger questions and keys are the quality of the backup depth we have at OTs. i dunno what the Cowboys plan are with the young guys,
and would they entertain asking the 41 year old vet Jason Peters back on a one year contract ..just for best insurance policies.

- They can either re-sign McGovern to what they'd consider cap-friendly contract (house discount) ..or they'll let him walk and draft yet another OG early to mid-round.
McGovern an average player, and Stephen's policy is they do not dish out big contracts to average players (to which i fully agree)

conner01

Reaction score
If we are already talking about next season then, Tyron Smith should be forced to retire. Put Tyler Smith at LT, McG at LG, Biadasz at C, and Zack at RG, and offer the RT job to Jason Peters until Steele is back late next year.
So you want to extend McG?

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Tyron going to RG might lengthen his career 5-6 years

He will get to play beside Martin instead of some scrub like most of his career

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I've read his tear is not considered a major ACL type of tear and he should be ready for training camp.

I had heard it was both an ACL & MCL. I haven't followed it closely though so maybe you are right.

Mr_437

Reaction score
I agree with the OP. However, McGovern is going to price out of Dallas unless he's extended soon, which he won't cause the FO is chasing old, broke down WRs. I'd argue McGovern is a much better prospect than Connor Williams and we know how that played out. Farniok got some experience this season so that's a plus...look for offseason hype in his direction if McGovern is signed away.

I think, If Tyron sticks around next season he should play RT, but the remainder of this one Tyler should move to RT. Have to trust the coaches to know what's up since they've done a really good job with the OL.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Tyron's position is already forecasted in the future with Tyler Smith. That's what Tyler was drafted for. I'm not concerned with the LT role.

But are you trying to get another year out of Tyron at left tackle with Tyler playing G? If Tyron can come back strong, that's fine but I'm still not confident he can hold up for a year.

Bottom line is Tyler can only play one position at a time so I need options to put in whatever position he isn't playing.

If I also have to replace McG, now I'm looking at an unknown at G. At this moment, I'm definitely not going to be counting on Terrence to be back fully early in the season so you have to prepare someone to man that position for at least some period of time.

If Terrence doesn't get hurt, I would have been perfectly fine with next years line being Tyler, Connor, TB, Zack & Terrence.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't like their decision on Ball/Peters playing RT this season. I would leave the left side along and start Tyron at RT, where he has played in the past.
Agree. Maybe not immediately, but start getting Tyron snaps at RT before the playoffs.

Ball might improve next season but improvement this season will be limited. It will be good for next year if he gets some playing time now, but playing a majority of RT snaps seems unlikely.

quickccc

Reaction score
But are you trying to get another year out of Tyron at left tackle with Tyler playing G? If Tyron can come back strong, that's fine but I'm still not confident he can hold up for a year.

Bottom line is Tyler can only play one position at a time so I need options to put in whatever position he isn't playing.

If I also have to replace McG, now I'm looking at an unknown at G. At this moment, I'm definitely not going to be counting on Terrence to be back fully early in the season so you have to prepare someone to man that position for at least some period of time.

If Terrence doesn't get hurt, I would have been perfectly fine with next years line being Tyler, Connor, TB, Zack & Terrence.

- That's up to the team plan, and maybe a lot will depend how Tyron plays upon his return. He was jagged vs Niners, when he return from a spell of missed injury games, and
a lesser injury than what he suffered this year in camp.

- So I'd expect he'll be rusty and jagged vs Jax, but the Cowboys can either gamble that he'll eventually return to form the more he plays .. or they can pull Tyron and hand the lT role
back over to rookie Tyler Smith.
And this entire stretch run may have an impact in how they want to go in Tyron's future. Whether in 2023,..or do they need to finally call it move on time.

- The other thing is financial. Are they still willing to dish out high dollar money to a guy that they would even question his durability- availability ?
Why would we continue to pay out a guy that we could see less than half a season, if not it's entirety ?

McKDaddy

Reaction score
- That's up to the team plan, and maybe a lot will depend how Tyron plays upon his return. He was jagged vs Niners, when he return from a spell of missed injury games, and
a lesser injury than what he suffered this year in camp.

- So I'd expect he'll be rusty and jagged vs Jax, but the Cowboys can either gamble that he'll eventually return to form the more he plays .. or they can pull Tyron and hand the lT role
back over to rookie Tyler Smith.
And this entire stretch run may have an impact in how they want to go in Tyron's future. Whether in 2023,..or do they need to finally call it move on time.

- The other thing is financial. Are they still willing to dish out high dollar money to a guy that they would even question his durability- availability ?
Why would we continue to pay out a guy that we could see less than half a season, if not it's entirety ?

Exactly. That is why I say Terrence's injury is a really bad extra problem further compounded by it happening so late in the year. They are going to have to make a lot of decisions. If they make the wrong decision(s), the entire plan for 2023 could tumble like dominos.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Dallas should keep both Tyron Smith and Connor McGovern next year.

With Steele injured, he is going to be in recovery through the entire offseason. It will take a minimum of 9 months for Steele to recover, meaning he’ll likely miss the first month of the 2023 season. Keeping Tyron Smith allows the Cowboys to slide Tyler Smith to a right tackle and gives him a full offseason to adjust to the move.

McGovern is not a great NFL talent at guard. But you cannot afford to have stars at every position. McGovern is likely to be fairly inexpensive to resign. He can play both guard and center, so he provides quality depth at both positions, even if you move Tyler Smith to Guard when Steele returns next October.

Lastly, Steele is a restricted free agent, meaning the Cowboys only need to tender an offer to retain his services. The bigger question is what level of offer they will tender, 1st round, 2nd round, or draft position. I’m betting they offer him a first round tender, and then try to negotiate a long-term deal during the season.

Finally, the Cowboys have to concentrate on developing players like Farniok, Ball and Waletzko. It is debatable if Peters will go back into retirement, but since he lives in East Texas, the Cowboys might offer him a position, if they need him, after the season starts. But I would like to see the Cowboys offer Peters a coaching position.
Really depends on the cost.
You can never have enough good Oline players.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Agree. Maybe not immediately, but start getting Tyron snaps at RT before the playoffs.

Ball might improve next season but improvement this season will be limited. It will be good for next year if he gets some playing time now, but playing a majority of RT snaps seems unlikely.
I watch a video on Ball's tape this week, seems much further ahead as a run blocker then he's in pass protection. This tells me, still need a lot of technique development. Much rather have a veteran who isn't learning the ropes come playoff time.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
- Some team is gonna see McGovern as a Conner Williams to Miami type success, ..and overpay for him.
That's the nature business of NFL free agency. Even average players tend to get overvalued and overpaid in FA.
ala Anthony Hitchen, Damien Wilson, Jeremy Parnell, etc.

- Cowboys did not have future plans for Williams at OG, or even C, because they apparently thought so much of Tyler Biadaz
Thus they allowed a former 2nd rd pick to walk as an UFA.
Ironically Williams has turned into one of the better pivot centers in the NFL.
Will Biadaz be at that stage ?
I have been pleasantly surprised by both McGovern/Biaz this season. Their play has been solid. Agree, more I think about McGovern the more I believe he lands a larger contract elsewhere. We know Steele will be back, not sure about Tyron, let's see if he holds up the rest of the way first. There will be a need for another G/T this offseason.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Dallas should keep both Tyron Smith and Connor McGovern next year.

With Steele injured, he is going to be in recovery through the entire offseason. It will take a minimum of 9 months for Steele to recover, meaning he’ll likely miss the first month of the 2023 season. Keeping Tyron Smith allows the Cowboys to slide Tyler Smith to a right tackle and gives him a full offseason to adjust to the move.

McGovern is not a great NFL talent at guard. But you cannot afford to have stars at every position. McGovern is likely to be fairly inexpensive to resign. He can play both guard and center, so he provides quality depth at both positions, even if you move Tyler Smith to Guard when Steele returns next October.

Lastly, Steele is a restricted free agent, meaning the Cowboys only need to tender an offer to retain his services. The bigger question is what level of offer they will tender, 1st round, 2nd round, or draft position. I’m betting they offer him a first round tender, and then try to negotiate a long-term deal during the season.

Finally, the Cowboys have to concentrate on developing players like Farniok, Ball and Waletzko. It is debatable if Peters will go back into retirement, but since he lives in East Texas, the Cowboys might offer him a position, if they need him, after the season starts. But I would like to see the Cowboys offer Peters a coaching position.

tyron no. Mcgovern if he is on his rookie deal. As a backup at least.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I watch a video on Ball's tape this week, seems much further ahead as a run blocker then he's in pass protection. This tells me, still need a lot of technique development. Much rather have a veteran who isn't learning the ropes come playoff time.
I think they'll give him some snaps this week but probably start Peters.

They probably keep Tyron Left this week but if he stays healthy, I'll be surprised if he does not end up starting at RT.

Beaker42

Reaction score
This would be good for Tyron for the rest of this season as he wouldn't be facing the opposing team's best pass rusher every game until he gets in game shape.

conner01

Reaction score
We have to extend McG. He is not that bad and he should be cheap!
Cheap is a relative term
What do you consider cheap
He’s making right at 3 mil now and he’s gonna get closer to 5 mil I suspect
He’s not that bad but you have Tyron, Martin, Steele on second contracts and Biadasz coming up soon
Hard to have 4 of your 5 olinemen on second contracts and guard is one of the easier positions to draft

Last edited: