KeiVarae Russell cut from Chiefs

Sydla

Reaction score
Grab him. He's raw but has talent. His sophomore year at ND he was talked about as a future first rounder but then he got into trouble with the cheating scandal and played just OK his senior year.

If we are trolling for Sammy Seamster types we might as well be all over this guy too.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oh good, we are going to have 150 plus threads on every player cut. :laugh:
So if he was a late rounder, why does that make him better than Frazier, and it is not because he was picked 2 spots in front of him. If that is what they meant.

Vero_F250

Reaction score
Oh good, we are going to have 150 plus threads on every player cut. :laugh:
So if he was a late rounder, why does that make him better than Frazier, and it is not because he was picked 2 spots in front of him. If that is what they meant.
He wasn't a late rounder. Chiefs took him in the 3rd. He was projected Round 2-3 by "experts".

cowboyschmps3

Reaction score
When I saw it I only thought ihe should be claimed my the Boyz, waiver wire is no.4?

Sydla

Reaction score
If we put in a claim on him, does he have to go right to the 53 or can we add him to the PS?

Sydla

Reaction score
If the Cowboys want to play the bargain bin game and find some diamonds that don't cost much, this is the type of move they should be all over.

Vero_F250

Reaction score
ANALYSIS
Strengths
First-day starter from the time he stepped foot on campus. Angular athletic build. Plays fast. Smooth hips and light feet opening from press. Plus route recognition. Anticipates and mirrors routes in space sitting in receiver's pocket along the route. Quick responder to playaction and sprints back into his responsibility. Observant from zone and off coverage. Shows recovery speed needed against long speed. Looks to do it the right way as tackler. Strikes with chest or shoulder and wraps up.

Weaknesses
Can be posted up by size. Flatfooted pedal slows plant-and-close ability. Displays some balance inconsistency in change of direction. Ball skills can use work. Hyper-focuses on his man rather than finding the ball and making a play. Can speed reaction time to what quarterback's eyes are telling him. Broken fibula at the end of 2015 creates medical concern. Missed all of 2014 due to "academic dishonesty".

Draft Projection
Rounds 2 or 3

Sources Tell Us
"He has second day talent as a cover corner, but he's not as big as you want and now the broken legs might complicate things." -- AFC regional scout

NFL Comparison
Aaron Colvin

Bottom Line
Smart, experienced cornerback has strapped it on against some of the best receivers in the nation during his time with the Irish. Russell has the athleticism and cover talent to play press coverage and make a living there, but he may never produce as many pass breakups or interceptions as a team would like. Played outside and from the slot and offers that versatility to an NFL team as a future starter or third corner.

boysfanindc

Reaction score
Do the Boys see him as a CB or S?

I know a lot of teams where viewing him as a S.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
So, if you claim him, who is the roster cut? I don't think right off the bat you can count on him to do what Wilcox or Heath do. Maybe one of the sorry LB's? One of the two FB's?