Kellen Moore's first playoff game. what's he gonna do?

RonnieT24

Reaction score
We have seen Dak in playoff football before and frankly he has been pretty good. Hell he was great in his first ever playoff game against Green Bay and had the defense not given up 4 TD drives of at least 75 yards would have won that one.. but I digress. My fear is about Moore.. Ryans is a good DC but has he been at it long enough to dismantle Moore's offense the way other good DCs have. Moore REALLY has to self scout going into the this game. We can't be tipping plays to the defense like we have been.. He needs to make sure to include motion in the play call to help Dak locate the safety and force the defense to declare coverage. And for the love of all that is holy stay away from getting cute in the red zone. Because you have two receivers who demand a LOT of attention continue to use them on the rub routes to scheme guys open. Please do not call 90% of running plays up the damn middle. Surely we've figured out by now that we can't move people inside and worse our backside seal blocks are atrocious.. So don't call them.. or at least don't call them very often.. Get the backs outside, pull some big uglies and put the fear into the DBs who have to come up and make the tackle.. Aside from the 49er running game.. Moore vs Ryans is the matchup that scares me most in this game.. I just don't know if Moore has learned his lessons yet..

nobody

Reaction score
We have seen Dak in playoff football before and frankly he has been pretty good. Hell he was great in his first ever playoff game against Green Bay and had the defense not given up 4 TD drives of at least 75 yards would have won that one.. but I digress. My fear is about Moore.. Ryans is a good DC but has he been at it long enough to dismantle Moore's offense the way other good DCs have. Moore REALLY has to self scout going into the this game. We can't be tipping plays to the defense like we have been.. He needs to make sure to include motion in the play call to help Dak locate the safety and force the defense to declare coverage. And for the love of all that is holy stay away from getting cute in the red zone. Because you have two receivers who demand a LOT of attention continue to use them on the rub routes to scheme guys open. Please do not call 90% of running plays up the damn middle. Surely we've figured out by now that we can't move people inside and worse our backside seal blocks are atrocious.. So don't call them.. or at least don't call them very often.. Get the backs outside, pull some big uglies and put the fear into the DBs who have to come up and make the tackle.. Aside from the 49er running game.. Moore vs Ryans is the matchup that scares me most in this game.. I just don't know if Moore has learned his lessons yet..

I believe we might see the playbook that was suddenly shutdown part way through the season to suddenly open up with disguises, motions, and hopefully less of the predictable garbage he called for most of the back half of the season.
If we don't see things suddenly more dynamic and less predictable, I want Moore out the bloody door.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I believe we might see the playbook that was suddenly shutdown part way through the season to suddenly open up with disguises, motions, and hopefully less of the predictable garbage he called for most of the back half of the season.
If we don't see things suddenly more dynamic and less predictable, I want Moore out the bloody door.

I think we might have gotten a glimpse of it in the Philly game.. The running plays in that one looked a lot more like what we saw early on in the season. There could be any number of reasons why they mothballed them for 7-8 weeks.. ranging from Zeke's injury to all the shuffling up front.. Maybe with all the moving parts and guys in and out of the lineup they felt like they couldn't ask the line to do anything too complicated. I really hope that was the case. Just banging up the middle a few times then giving up on the run will get us beat. Pollard should be fresh which should be a tremendous weapon for us.. Zeke looked pretty good on the edges in Philly as well.. and really has for most of the season but since the injury I think I can count on one hand the number of times we've run the toss or anything outside with him. You can see the knee has taken away his ability to make drastic cuts but he can still make small adjustments and blast fools. I will be curious to see if he tries to go without the brace in the playoffs.. If he does it should bring back a little more explosion and burst. But the danger there is that if he lands wrong or takes a direct hit on it it might really hamper him the rest of the game and the playoffs.

Last edited:

lukin2006

Reaction score
I suspect MM may have more input in this game plan than any since he’s been Cowboys coach. I expect a few wrinkles tossed at the 9ers. A Wilson pass, flea flicker, Steele TD, and a play or 2 that never got used. Go Cowboys…

Zman5

Reaction score
My guess is he'll stop doing JG/Linehan impression and go back to doing more pre snap motions and better route concepts.
We actually saw little bit of that against the EaGirls when they ran more rub routes.

maryquality

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Moore needs to have his best game plan ever now that we are in the playoffs!!! Please don't stubbornly use plays that have not worked all year!! Come on Moore....we know you can do it!! Let's go!! :thumbup:

RonnieT24

Reaction score
My guess is he'll stop doing JG/Linehan impression and go back to doing more pre snap motions and better route concepts.
We actually saw little bit of that against the EaGirls when they ran more rub routes.

Yeah this was key for me.. It's something Garrett and Linehan never did.. probably because frankly they never thought the refs would let them. I do remember many a time they tried it and got flagged so I think they finally just gave up .. We all know some teams get away with stuff that other teams can't... I think rub routes was one that we couldn't get away for a long time. Maybe that has changed. I do think CeeDee needs to work on his.. He could easily have been flagged.. but Coop.. the wily ole veteran executed his to perfection.. the DB had no chance..

dcstar

Reaction score
Put up tape for the Vikings job apparently.

Go Cowboys!

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I suspect MM may have more input in this game plan than any since he’s been Cowboys coach. I expect a few wrinkles tossed at the 9ers. A Wilson pass, flea flicker, Steele TD, and a play or 2 that never got used. Go Cowboys…

This is my thought also. I believe MM and others will be more involved in the game plan. I also hope MM corrects and makes changes if he does not like the way it is going. Being the HC he better over ride anything they does not think is right.

Zman5

Reaction score
Yeah this was key for me.. It's something Garrett and Linehan never did.. probably because frankly they never thought the refs would let them. I do remember many a time they tried it and got flagged so I think they finally just gave up .. We all know some teams get away with stuff that other teams can't... I think rub routes was one that we couldn't get away for a long time. Maybe that has changed. I do think CeeDee needs to work on his.. He could easily have been flagged.. but Coop.. the wily ole veteran executed his to perfection.. the DB had no chance..

The one Coop ran on Shultz's TD was exactly how it should be executed.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I certainly hope so. He's an offensive guy at heart and this isn't his first playoff rodeo. That experience is one reason he got the job in Dallas.

Yeah Big Mike needs more input to be sure.. Especially when Moore goes into pass only mode because we're down 10-7. Mike needs to walk over to him and say "We're only down a field goal so let's not shitcan the game plan, okay.."

maryquality

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yeah Big Mike needs more input to be sure.. Especially when Moore goes into pass only mode because we're down 10-7. Mike needs to walk over to him and say "We're only down a field goal so let's not shitcan the game plan, okay.."
:hammer:

blueblood70

Reaction score
hopefully he gets a lot of advice from MM and this full staff of experienced playoff coaches that can help him. then take that with his own ideas and formulate a plan.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
It's all on McCarthy now, IMO. If the Cowboys have a bad showing on Sunday, he has to go.