Kellen Moore's first playoff game. what's he gonna do?

Wolfpack

Reaction score
Here’s what I’d like to see;
  1. Weak pitch out to Pollard out of 11. Keep the RE honest.
  2. Roll outs, get Dak moving and he likes to throw on the run
  3. Double moves with max protect,
  4. Lead draw

Praxit

Reaction score
....balance,...balance. Hope Moore keeps in mind, our chances of winning go up with more balance approach. How he'll do it? I don't know.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
We have seen Dak in playoff football before and frankly he has been pretty good. Hell he was great in his first ever playoff game against Green Bay and had the defense not given up 4 TD drives of at least 75 yards would have won that one.. but I digress. My fear is about Moore.. Ryans is a good DC but has he been at it long enough to dismantle Moore's offense the way other good DCs have. Moore REALLY has to self scout going into the this game. We can't be tipping plays to the defense like we have been.. He needs to make sure to include motion in the play call to help Dak locate the safety and force the defense to declare coverage. And for the love of all that is holy stay away from getting cute in the red zone. Because you have two receivers who demand a LOT of attention continue to use them on the rub routes to scheme guys open. Please do not call 90% of running plays up the damn middle. Surely we've figured out by now that we can't move people inside and worse our backside seal blocks are atrocious.. So don't call them.. or at least don't call them very often.. Get the backs outside, pull some big uglies and put the fear into the DBs who have to come up and make the tackle.. Aside from the 49er running game.. Moore vs Ryans is the matchup that scares me most in this game.. I just don't know if Moore has learned his lessons yet..

Anything but hand the ball to Zeke 15-20 times. Every time we hand the ball off the Zeke is a wasted play.

I was talking to my buddy yesterday and I asked him if the Cowboys were going to win the game. He said no that SF would win. He is also a Cowboys fan. I asked what he meant. No lie this is exactly what he said:

SF has Deebo and a stable of good running backs they will hand the ball to . The Cowboys will hand the ball to Zeke 20 times. That is 20 wasted plays for the Cowboys. They have to win with 20 wasted plays.

As much as I wanted to I couldnt argue. SF is hoping above all hope that Moore comes out handing the ball off to Zeke as much as possible. They will be daring the Cowboys.

What you are dreaming for is the only way the Cowboys are going to lose this game. To feature the run game and Zeke in that run game.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I think we might have gotten a glimpse of it in the Philly game.. The running plays in that one looked a lot more like what we saw early on in the season. There could be any number of reasons why they mothballed them for 7-8 weeks.. ranging from Zeke's injury to all the shuffling up front.. Maybe with all the moving parts and guys in and out of the lineup they felt like they couldn't ask the line to do anything too complicated. I really hope that was the case. Just banging up the middle a few times then giving up on the run will get us beat. Pollard should be fresh which should be a tremendous weapon for us.. Zeke looked pretty good on the edges in Philly as well.. and really has for most of the season but since the injury I think I can count on one hand the number of times we've run the toss or anything outside with him. You can see the knee has taken away his ability to make drastic cuts but he can still make small adjustments and blast fools. I will be curious to see if he tries to go without the brace in the playoffs.. If he does it should bring back a little more explosion and burst. But the danger there is that if he lands wrong or takes a direct hit on it it might really hamper him the rest of the game and the playoffs.

There is one big reason why it was moth balled. One word...................ZEKE

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Anything but hand the ball to Zeke 15-20 times. Every time we hand the ball off the Zeke is a wasted play.

I was talking to my buddy yesterday and I asked him if the Cowboys were going to win the game. He said no that SF would win. He is also a Cowboys fan. I asked what he meant. No lie this is exactly what he said:

SF has Deebo and a stable of good running backs they will hand the ball to . The Cowboys will hand the ball to Zeke 20 times. That is 20 wasted plays for the Cowboys. They have to win with 20 wasted plays.

As much as I wanted to I couldnt argue. SF is hoping above all hope that Moore comes out handing the ball off to Zeke as much as possible. They will be daring the Cowboys.

What you are dreaming for is the only way the Cowboys are going to lose this game. To feature the run game and Zeke in that run game.

Again..a lot of words to say blah.. blah .. blah..

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Is it any different then your words? All you ever do is beg the Cowboys to feature and over the hill slow RB and a running game that is bad with Zeke at the helm.

Total broken record. I simply combat that with the facts. Here is a fact for you:

Before Zeke's 26 yard run against 2nd stringers last week he had gone 8 GAMES without a run or reception over 20 yards. 8 GAMES!!!!!!!!

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Another things he said to me was the the Cowboys are the ONLY team in the NFL that plays the worse guy because he has a bigger salary. The ONLY team in the NFL that would keep the better back on the bench and play Zeke.

Again I couldnt argue.

lukin2006

Reaction score
I certainly hope so. He's an offensive guy at heart and this isn't his first playoff rodeo. That experience is one reason he got the job in Dallas.
I agree. Let’s see what happens. I’m confident. We are at home, I think we feed off the home energy…

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I agree. Let’s see what happens. I’m confident. We are at home, I think we feed off the home energy…

I think we feed off home energy when half the crowd isn't cheering for the visitors.. We've seen too much of that in recent years.. Hopefully having been out of the playoffs the last two years has the home fans hungry enough not to sell their seats.. If we get a true home field advantage and disrupt their signals it could make a huge difference as I don't think Jimmy G. is a poised QB at all.

lukin2006

Reaction score
I think we feed off home energy when half the crowd isn't cheering for the visitors.. We've seen too much of that in recent years.. Hopefully having been out of the playoffs the last two years has the home fans hungry enough not to sell their seats.. If we get a true home field advantage and disrupt their signals it could make a huge difference as I don't think Jimmy G. is a poised QB at all.

I’m trying to remain positive…lol

Cmac

Reaction score
I think we might have gotten a glimpse of it in the Philly game.. The running plays in that one looked a lot more like what we saw early on in the season. There could be any number of reasons why they mothballed them for 7-8 weeks.. ranging from Zeke's injury to all the shuffling up front.. Maybe with all the moving parts and guys in and out of the lineup they felt like they couldn't ask the line to do anything too complicated. I really hope that was the case. Just banging up the middle a few times then giving up on the run will get us beat. Pollard should be fresh which should be a tremendous weapon for us.. Zeke looked pretty good on the edges in Philly as well.. and really has for most of the season but since the injury I think I can count on one hand the number of times we've run the toss or anything outside with him. You can see the knee has taken away his ability to make drastic cuts but he can still make small adjustments and blast fools. I will be curious to see if he tries to go without the brace in the playoffs.. If he does it should bring back a little more explosion and burst. But the danger there is that if he lands wrong or takes a direct hit on it it might really hamper him the rest of the game and the playoffs.
And when all else fails.......Blame Zeke will be the rally cry on this Board. Hasn't anyone noticed the run game has taken a decline since KMoore took over the offense? Anyone?

RonnieT24

Reaction score
And when all else fails.......Blame Zeke will be the rally cry on this Board. Hasn't anyone noticed the run game has taken a decline since KMoore took over the offense? Anyone?

I can name at least one person who has noticed.. :cool:

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
Hopefully no WR screens so early in the game. Disguise what your doing more often. Don't give up on the run.

CWR

Reaction score
We have seen Dak in playoff football before and frankly he has been pretty good. Hell he was great in his first ever playoff game against Green Bay and had the defense not given up 4 TD drives of at least 75 yards would have won that one.. but I digress. My fear is about Moore.. Ryans is a good DC but has he been at it long enough to dismantle Moore's offense the way other good DCs have. Moore REALLY has to self scout going into the this game. We can't be tipping plays to the defense like we have been.. He needs to make sure to include motion in the play call to help Dak locate the safety and force the defense to declare coverage. And for the love of all that is holy stay away from getting cute in the red zone. Because you have two receivers who demand a LOT of attention continue to use them on the rub routes to scheme guys open. Please do not call 90% of running plays up the damn middle. Surely we've figured out by now that we can't move people inside and worse our backside seal blocks are atrocious.. So don't call them.. or at least don't call them very often.. Get the backs outside, pull some big uglies and put the fear into the DBs who have to come up and make the tackle.. Aside from the 49er running game.. Moore vs Ryans is the matchup that scares me most in this game.. I just don't know if Moore has learned his lessons yet..

My hope is the run plays we saw vs Washington and Philly were primed in order to get reps heading to the playoffs.

It sounds crazy, but part of me expects him to utilize the outside runs and pull a couple tricks out of his sleeve.

This coaching staff jumped out to a 6-1 record and it looked like they let off the gas a bit.

We've seen them prepare for the playoffs by being ultra conservative with injuries. Is it possible we held back some plays for the big dance, or is more of the same coming? It would be a vote of confidence for me to see Pollard draw the start as well.

quickccc

Reaction score
We have seen Dak in playoff football before and frankly he has been pretty good. Hell he was great in his first ever playoff game against Green Bay and had the defense not given up 4 TD drives of at least 75 yards would have won that one.. but I digress.

My fear is about Moore.. Ryans is a good DC but has he been at it long enough to dismantle Moore's offense the way other good DCs have. Moore REALLY has to self scout going into the this game. We can't be tipping plays to the defense like we have been.. He needs to make sure to include motion in the play call to help Dak locate the safety and force the defense to declare coverage.

And for the love of all that is holy stay away from getting cute in the red zone. Because you have two receivers who demand a LOT of attention continue to use them on the rub routes to scheme guys open. Please do not call 90% of running plays up the damn middle. Surely we've figured out by now that we can't move people inside and worse our backside seal blocks are atrocious.. So don't call them.. or at least don't call them very often..

Get the backs outside, pull some big uglies and put the fear into the DBs who have to come up and make the tackle.. Aside from the 49er running game.. Moore vs Ryans is the matchup that scares me most in this game.. I just don't know if Moore has learned his lessons yet..

- We also had a slow start (which we had been notorious at for much of Dak’s career) vs Green Bay in 2016 playoffs – hosted here in Dallas
. .. attributing to just 3 total points in the first half, while Rodgers just put on a vicious show vs Marinelli’s defense.

- Dak made a helluva comeback to bring us back from a 28-3 halftime deficit and in a position to tie the game, at the end, but he also had a costly INT in 2nd half ( that accursed WR bubble screen that we run so often)

- Also factor that Zeke had a 126 yd rushing effort as well – do we have a potent run game to help Dak, as of right now ?

- One of my fears vs Niners is our defense not adapting & reacting to Shanahan’s run game and misdirection scheme.
Grapp is at his best off play action when he’s helped with misdirection/run game- ask him to drop back to beat you (especially if he has to play catch up) and it’s a different game to play.

Defense wins championships Defense has to rise up and be the difference makers in the playoffs – we’ve seen it happen every single year down the critical stretch.
And even if it becomes a low score battle but one that is very close enough to factor in margin of victory.

o_O

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
I'm hoping he doesn't rely on the bubble screen too many times. The 9ers play that well.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score

The best he can do is what he will do...with the team he has. Paper tiger...post.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
- We also had a slow start (which we had been notorious at for much of Dak’s career) vs Green Bay in 2016 playoffs – hosted here in Dallas
. .. attributing to just 3 total points in the first half, while Rodgers just put on a vicious show vs Marinelli’s defense.

- Dak made a helluva comeback to bring us back from a 28-3 halftime deficit and in a position to tie the game, at the end, but he also had a costly INT in 2nd half ( that accursed WR bubble screen that we run so often)

- Also factor that Zeke had a 126 yd rushing effort as well – do we have a potent run game to help Dak, as of right now ?

- One of my fears vs Niners is our defense not adapting & reacting to Shanahan’s run game and misdirection scheme.
Grapp is at his best off play action when he’s helped with misdirection/run game- ask him to drop back to beat you (especially if he has to play catch up) and it’s a different game to play.

Defense wins championships Defense has to rise up and be the difference makers in the playoffs – we’ve seen it happen every single year down the critical stretch.
And even if it becomes a low score battle but one that is very close enough to factor in margin of victory.

o_O

Sorry but your memory of that game is faulty.. The Cowboys scored first in that game and had zero 3 and outs... even after falling down 21-3. They scored 10 points in the second quarter and trailed 21-13 at the half. There was no 28-3 halftime deficit.. and was never more than a two score game the entire way after that middle of the 2nd and was basically a one score game the whole way..