Kellen Winslow update

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
133436146063.jpg

A photo taken Sunday, May 1, 2005, and released Monday, May 2, 2005, by the Westlake, Ohio Police Department shows the damaged motorcycle belonging to Cleveland Browns tight end Kellen Winslow Jr. Winslow was riding in a community college parking lot Sunday, May 1, 2005, when he hit a curb at about 35 mph and was thrown from the motorcycle.

Browns' Winslow hurt

spacer.gif

Tight end injured in motorcycle wreck; team won't comment on status
spacer.gif

[size=-1]By Patrick McManamon[/size]
spacer.gif

[size=-1]Beacon Journal staff writer[/size]
spacer.gif

BEREA - A motorcycle accident might have Kellen Winslow's status for the 2005 season in question.

Winslow, the Browns' first-round draft choice in 2004, has swelling in his right knee and shoulder after he flipped over the handlebars during a crash Sunday evening.

Winslow, a tight end, was treated for internal injuries Monday at the Cleveland Clinic, but the team said those injuries were stable and not serious.

The swelling in the knee, though, could indicate a bigger problem that won't be known until Winslow is examined further.

WebMD.com lists swelling as a symptom of varying degrees of ligament tears. If Winslow tore a ligament, he could be out for an extended time.

``The extent of these (knee and shoulder) injuries will not be known until further medical evaluation is complete after the swelling is reduced,'' a statement from the Browns said.

The statement said there was no timetable for Winslow's release from the hospital.

The accident happened as Winslow was learning to ride his 2005 Suzuki GSX-R750, which he bought in April, according to the Associated Press. Winslow and four friends went to a Cuyahoga Community College parking lot in Westlake, near Winslow's home.

Winslow hit a curb and apparently hit the accelerator instead of the brake. That caused him to fly over the windshield.

Westlake police reported that Winslow was going 35 mph when he hit the curb. Winslow was wearing a helmet, but it was not strapped on and flew off his head. Alcohol was not involved, police told the AP.

Winslow spent Sunday night in Fairview Hospital, then was sent to the clinic by ambulance Monday morning so Browns doctors could examine him.

``I have no comment,'' Winslow's father, Kellen Winslow Sr., said. ``I'm not speaking to the press. Anything released about Kellen will come from the Cleveland Browns.''

The Browns' only comment came through the statement.

Winslow's agent, Carl Poston, did not return a phone message.

The Browns would not comment on Winslow's contract, but Section 3 of the standard player contract prohibits players from activities that have ``significant risk of personal injury.''

If the Browns did not want Winslow to ride a motorcycle, the team would have had to specifically write language in Winslow's contract prohibiting that activity, according to the NFL Players Association.

ESPN.com and the NFL Network both reported Winslow's contract contains wording that forbids him to ride a motorcycle. If Winslow breached the contract he may have to repay part or all of his $6 million signing bonus and $4.4 million option.

In recent years, motorcycle accidents have caused serious injuries to players in other sports.

In June 2003, Chicago Bulls guard Jay Williams broke his pelvis and leg and suffered a serious knee injury when his motorcycle crashed. The Bulls and Williams reached a contract buyout, but Williams has not played since.

In 2001, Jeff Kent (then of the San Francisco Giants) broke his wrist while riding a motorcycle. The team retained Kent.

Former Atlanta Brave Ron Gant missed a full year after shattering his leg in a motorcycle accident in February 1994. The Braves voided his contract after the accident.

Winslow played in only two games last season due to a broken fibula in his left leg.

k19

Reaction score
Patrick McManamon said:
Winslow, a tight end, was treated for internal injuries Monday at the Cleveland Clinic, but the team said those injuries were stable and not serious.

The swelling in the knee, though, could indicate a bigger problem that won't be known until Winslow is examined further.

WebMD.com lists swelling as a symptom of varying degrees of ligament tears. If Winslow tore a ligament, he could be out for an extended time.

I've never heard internal injuries as being called "not serious" :confused: I like his source for swelling, I guess he couldnt get in touch with a real live Dr

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
The fact that no one will really comment on his status does not spell a good prognosis...

I hope the kid is ok, but he shouldn't have been on that motorcycle in the first place... to much at risk, NFL contract or no NFL contract...

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
lol

I can't believe this reporter quoted a medical website while trying to diagnose the Soulja's injuries.

And he didn't answer the big question. Does this qualify Kellen for the Purple Heart?

yesfan

Reaction score
Browns | Winslow may Miss the Entire Season - from www.KFFL.com
Tue, 3 May 2005 17:04:36 -0700

Clark Judge, of SportsLine.com, reports the Cleveland Browns are concerned injuries suffered by TE Kellen Winslow Jr. in his motorcycle accident may cost him the entire 2005 season. The primary problem, sources said, are potentially significant injuries to the right knee and right shoulder. The team cannot confirm the extent of the injuries until the swelling in the knee and shoulder subside. In addition, sources said the Browns believe Winslow may have suffered a punctured lung and an injury to his kidney, but neither of those injuries has the team overly concerned.