Kelvin Joseph and his sub 4.3 speed what's not to like?

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Because obviously he'd admit otherwise.

Lol

So, what you are saying, it does not matter if he is telling the truth or not. You already have made your mind up, on what type of player he will is/will be.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
I've heard a number of people complaining about this pick.. This guy blanketed pretty much anybody he faced and reportedly sports blazing speed enough to run with anybody including Tyreke Hill. People seem bent outta shape over the whole "rap career" thing.. which I suppose might be a thing.. but unless his music gets a lot better he's not going to make enough money from it to quit football. He's hardly the first player to have interests outside football.. Given the receivers the Eagles and Giants drafted and let's not forget McLaurin in DC having a guy who is as fast as any of them can only be a plus. Watching how effortlessly he runs stride for stride with the Bama Heisman trophy winner is eye opening to say the least. I'm looking forward to watching teams try him deep.. cause I don't think it's going to work out that well for them..
I am not concerned about Kelvin Joseph:

1. He went to Scotlandville Magnet High School - Magnet high schools in LA are like schools dedicated to AP potential students in TX. His school focus was engineering. So as Jimmy Johnson said about Charles Haley " if he is smart, I can reason with him".
2. Safety with CB skills - Smart played S at Scotlandville and was a beast with 83 and 119 tackles jr. and Sr. years. He was a basketball standout with LSU and potential NBA draft pick Javonte Smart (Indiana's Keith Smart relative). So he is great in man or zone coverage, and can jump with anyone. If he can not hold up at CB, move him to S and watch a down hill hitter and ball hawk. To me he is a better FS than CB. But his athletic skills make you want him to stay at CB. So it is hard to fail at DB when you can play 2 positions.
3. Perseverance through tragedy - His brother died of drowning when he was 7 years old. He understands to value of life and not to waste it.

13 players were chosen in the draft from LA. LA per population puts out the most pro football players and pro athletes in the US. Competition is fierce. He was a high school standout and NFL draft 2nd rounder. So the spotlight has been on him for a while. You just have to keep him focused and engaged. The way to do this is put him on special teams, punt and KR where he had 13 non offensive TDs in high school (PR, KR, and Pick 6). This way, he has no down time. It worked at Scotlandville.

Also why are people worried about Bossman Fat having a hip hop career and nobody complained about Cole "measley" Beasley hip hop rapping career outside of football. Unlike Measley Beasly, Bossman Fat will not quit during training camp and have to be begged to return to football camp.

Cebrin

Reaction score
My reservations have nothing to do with talent or interests outside of football.

My reservations are toward his supposed character issues. Two programs saw him as a bigger headache than he was worth, despite the great talent.

The original post here is sort of disingenuous. It’s very clear what the concerns for this player are
I can see that. Though I must add that a lot of character issues at that age are created by the company you keep. I'm hoping he's surrounded by men, not dumb boys, and that it will help him grow up just enough to keep his head on his shoulders.

jnday

Reaction score
What’s not to like? He has great physical talent for the CB position. His character concerns and very limited game experience are a couple of issues that I don’t like.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I can see that. Though I must add that a lot of character issues at that age are created by the company you keep. I'm hoping he's surrounded by men, not dumb boys, and that it will help him grow up just enough to keep his head on his shoulders.
He wants to be a gangster rap star. That’s not a good foundation toward maturity haha

jnday

Reaction score
I am not concerned about Kelvin Joseph:

1. He went to Scotlandville Magnet High School - Magnet high schools in LA are like schools dedicated to AP potential students in TX. His school focus was engineering. So as Jimmy Johnson said about Charles Haley " if he is smart, I can reason with him".
2. Safety with CB skills - Smart played S at Scotlandville and was a beast with 83 and 119 tackles jr. and Sr. years. He was a basketball standout with LSU and potential NBA draft pick Javonte Smart (Indiana's Keith Smart relative). So he is great in man or zone coverage, and can jump with anyone. If he can not hold up at CB, move him to S and watch a down hill hitter and ball hawk. To me he is a better FS than CB. But his athletic skills make you want him to stay at CB. So it is hard to fail at DB when you can play 2 positions.
3. Perseverance through tragedy - His brother died of drowning when he was 7 years old. He understands to value of life and not to waste it.

13 players were chosen in the draft from LA. LA per population puts out the most pro football players and pro athletes in the US. Competition is fierce. He was a high school standout and NFL draft 2nd rounder. So the spotlight has been on him for a while. You just have to keep him focused and engaged. The way to do this is put him on special teams, punt and KR where he had 13 non offensive TDs in high school (PR, KR, and Pick 6). This way, he has no down time. It worked at Scotlandville.

Also why are people worried about Bossman Fat having a hip hop career and nobody complained about Cole "measley" Beasley hip hop rapping career outside of football. Unlike Measley Beasly, Bossman Fat will not quit during training camp and have to be begged to return to football camp.
I think you must have missed it. I think everybody complained about Cole Beasley and his rap career. Most of us considered it a distraction from his football career.

cowboyed

Reaction score
There is a long enough football off-season that Kelvin Joseph can indulge himself in his rapping avocation. He is in the NFL now, and Quinn is not the type of coach to coddle him or cut him slack. Pre-season will tell how committed to learning and playing productive he will be. Also there are plenty of players that have significant special interests outside of football.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
How many NFL players are known as Bossman Fat and have already released 6 albums?

Some have said it's what pushed him into the second round.

Just reading reports and listening to the "experts." He can play. Is it going to be that important to him?

how many were named Prime Time? I don't care that he has other interest, all I ask of players is stay the hell out of trouble during the off season and put in the work and be ready to go. I don't pretend to know what a guy is thinking or his future plans.

Frozen700

Reaction score
Not like this is the only off field issue with Joseph but I don't have time for players who think they're recording artists. I want them completely focused and obsessed on football. Live it 24/7. You only get so many picks in the draft and these are the guys I want on my team.

No one questions the talent. That's obvious. It's the baggage that would have made me look elsewhere.

But if he drops a diss track on Prescott I'm willing to change my mind on the pick.

I never scammed kids with fake autographs .... I never scammed kids with fake autographs .... I never scammed kids with fake autographs .... and when I see you pass again I will #$@_&$# laugh!

Lmao!!!:lmao2:

Dak really did that? Scammed kids?

What a POS

kazzd58

Reaction score
I've heard a number of people complaining about this pick.. This guy blanketed pretty much anybody he faced and reportedly sports blazing speed enough to run with anybody including Tyreke Hill. People seem bent outta shape over the whole "rap career" thing.. which I suppose might be a thing.. but unless his music gets a lot better he's not going to make enough money from it to quit football. He's hardly the first player to have interests outside football.. Given the receivers the Eagles and Giants drafted and let's not forget McLaurin in DC having a guy who is as fast as any of them can only be a plus. Watching how effortlessly he runs stride for stride with the Bama Heisman trophy winner is eye opening to say the least. I'm looking forward to watching teams try him deep.. cause I don't think it's going to work out that well for them..

The music career argument is WEAK AS HELL!! Weak

Bigdog

Reaction score
He did not blanket everybody he faced. He got turned inside out against Pitts but Pitts does that to everybody.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score

Can't wait to see him play!!!

JohnsKey19

Reaction score

His ability to run, break and react to the ball is similar to that of young Janoris Jenkins. Highly athletic player. He's going to make his share of nice plays but also give up a lot, particularly early in his career. Diggs will be a great young vet for Joseph to team up with and emulate given Trevon's work ethic.Trevon and his brother are very serious about working on their craft...

Reactions: BAT

fivetwos

Reaction score
I dont really see how whole gangsta rap image plays along side a guy who went to private school and seemed reasonably privileged....but ok.

More power to him if he can pull that off.....eight years from now.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Right now I'm more interested in this defense stopping the run and DLaw and Gregory stepping up along with Parsons to getting after QB's that makes the job for the CB a bit easier so that they can be more aggressive in attacking the ball. DB know they can be more aggressive when the QB has less time. Joseph has the talent but no CB can maintain coverage for a long period of time.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I worry about this rookie fitting in. How much does he love football? As a rapper with many albums already released, is the nightlife more appealing to him? Is Bossman Fat going to get an invitation to the office of the Fatman Boss to have it explained to him how football has to be what he loves if he's going to make this team? I just don't know.