Kelvin Joseph and his sub 4.3 speed what's not to like?

DandyDon52

Reaction score
hes apparently never truly listened to the little Wayne crews and Fetty wapp etc etc type of new age type of really not great artistical rap..its just good beats and tunes with pretty bad nonsensical lyrics..

rap is no longer really anywhere near as good as the 80/90s and some early 2k stuff with real messages and some thought brought into the lyrics..
Well the younger people need simple music, and that is why a simple beat and rap is more popular with them. And that is where the money is at.
I heard a group of kids on one of the talk shows few years back, they did a great rap song that was more artistic and good music, but they went
nowhere.
I knew a guy who liked what was then gangster rap, and to me it was boring and awful, but he loved it, and listened to it all day lol.

Loso86

Reaction score
Yeah, like Gregory and Hardy, that off the field stuff don't matter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well you can't bring them 2 up without bringing up the other guys who played through all of that

DFWJC

Reaction score
Hey DFW,

How you been. You see Roy and Mack playing golf the other day?
Doing well!
Yes, I saw that.
Good to see Roy enjoying retirement.
As for Hubie; year 1 could be tough, but I hope his recruiting kicks in. I like him though.

Curious to see if Mack can replace all that NFL firepower at RB at WR.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Doing well!
Yes, I saw that.
Good to see Roy enjoying retirement.
As for Hubie; year 1 could be tough, but I hope his recruiting kicks in. I like him though.

Curious to see if Mack can replace all that NFL firepower at RB at WR.

I agree. Roy needs to get in there and get that knee fixed so he can play golf on the daily!

Yeah, it will be interesting to see what happens this year but Davis is one of those guys, he just seems to always beat the odds. I saw he has Sean May leading the way on recruiting.

And speaking of recruiting, if there is one thing Mack can do, it's recruit. Mack is gonna get his share of players and if you are not careful, he will get some of your share too. Heck, if Davis hits a wall and can't get any of those kids to come to UNC, just send Mack in!

jrumann59

Reaction score

Wow, Bossman Fat needs to hang out the mic. This is trash. He couldn't hold Cole Beasley's microphone.

I'm not trying to be mean but he looks developmentally disabled in this video. He doesn't look all there and the production value looks like an iPhone was used. Oh and the lyrics are just awful.

Yeah Kelvin stick to football because your musical career will not get you anywhere.

There is worse sounding stuff that gets air play. He is young, he does need to find that thing that will set him a part otherwise he will be a face in a crowded game.

Sydla

Reaction score
Burned bridges at two universities, suspended from Bowl game. I'm sure the only issue was him being "cocky."

At least in terms of UK, he didn't necessarily "burn that bridge". He was the one who opted out. Now it was a bit messy because on the day he opted out, Stoops had come out and answered a question about players opting out by claiming that no one on UK would opt out. But then Joseph met with him later and said he was opting out. The story gets spun in different ways from there with some saying that apparently Joseph basically said that if they make him play, he'll just stand around during games and do nothing so Stoops said he didn't want that and "blessed" his opt out. Who really knows.

But at least at UK, it doesn't appear to be a situation where he was forced out.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Well the younger people need simple music, and that is why a simple beat and rap is more popular with them. And that is where the money is at.
I heard a group of kids on one of the talk shows few years back, they did a great rap song that was more artistic and good music, but they went
nowhere.
I knew a guy who liked what was then gangster rap, and to me it was boring and awful, but he loved it, and listened to it all day lol.

There was a jazz rap group in the 90's who I really enjoyed.. I wanna say they were called "Digable Planets" but don't quote me on that. They were extremely talented musicians who just happened to want to talk over their music.. Maybe they couldn't sing? They were the opening act for Earth,Wind and Fire at a concert I went to back in the day and I loved them.. Unfortunately like a lot of groups they broke up on and off and never put out music consistently. Maybe their sales had something to do with that as well. They fell right in that era when rap was turning more hard edged and they simply weren't that. Who knows.. I do know that this discussion has made me curious to go find some of their music and give it a re-listen.

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
Listening to the Locked on Cowboys podcast it was mentioned that the Cowboys had the same draft grade on Joseph (1.21) that they had on Diggs.

erod

Reaction score
I've heard a number of people complaining about this pick.. This guy blanketed pretty much anybody he faced and reportedly sports blazing speed enough to run with anybody including Tyreke Hill. People seem bent outta shape over the whole "rap career" thing.. which I suppose might be a thing.. but unless his music gets a lot better he's not going to make enough money from it to quit football. He's hardly the first player to have interests outside football.. Given the receivers the Eagles and Giants drafted and let's not forget McLaurin in DC having a guy who is as fast as any of them can only be a plus. Watching how effortlessly he runs stride for stride with the Bama Heisman trophy winner is eye opening to say the least. I'm looking forward to watching teams try him deep.. cause I don't think it's going to work out that well for them..
His music career is first, football is very much second. That's the issue.

erod

Reaction score
His Rap work can't be any worse than Beasley's. Look forward to seeing what this young man can do.
Beasley's was a hobby. This guy is far more serious about his rap career.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
His music career is first, football is very much second. That's the issue.

The only way his music career will ever be 'first" is if it makes him even half of what football pays him. And if it does he would be correct to give up football. However, from what little I've heard of his "music" he's not in any danger of hitting it big in music any time soon. Though obviously playing for America's Team is likely to give his music profile a nice bump.. But that won't make it any better..

erod

Reaction score
The only way his music career will ever be 'first" is if it makes him even half of what football pays him. And if it does he would be correct to give up football. However, from what little I've heard of his "music" he's not in any danger of hitting it big in music any time soon. Though obviously playing for America's Team is likely to give his music profile a nice bump.. But that won't make it any better..
But does he love football like he loves music?

We see case after case of guys who don't love football just vanishing from the game. They walk away from tons of money because they're just sick and tired of everything that goes with the grind of football.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
But does he love football like he loves music?

We see case after case of guys who don't love football just vanishing from the game. They walk away from tons of money because they're just sick and tired of everything that goes with the grind of football.

We'll see just how much he loves football soon enough. I would say he has to love it some because it would have been extremely easy to walk away after what happened at LSU. Something made him pursue a transfer and go play at Kentucky especially during this wacky year. But yeah.. when I was coaching I would start every season with a speech where I would tell the kids that if you don't love this game, if you're only out here because your dad is making you play, please take off your gear and leave now.. This is not a game you can play if you don't love it. If your parents give you any pushback tell them to come talk to me.. Only once did a parent actually come talk to me.. but it wasn't to punch me out.. it was to thank me.. because his son did not want to play football but he didn't know how to tell is dad that. My speech gave him the avenue to do it and the parents thanked me for not letting their kid risk getting hurt (he was a skinny little wisp of a kid with zero athletic ability) and being miserable.. I understand the kid went on to be a fine horn player in the high school band and was some kind of math bowl champ.. His dad had wanted him to play football because of course he had played.. But this was that 12-14 age group where the kids were starting to get big enough, strong enough and fast enough that they could actually hurt one another. Some little 75 pound kid who was only one the team because dad wanted him to be and who would have to play a minimum number of plays per game in accordance with Pop Warner rules could get seriously jacked up .. I could protect him in practice.. but in a game? I feared for his life. Here's hoping Joseph isn't quite THAT kid.. LOL!

Fastpitch Dad

Reaction score
No one EVER had the same concerns about Beasleys rap career.
You might want to go back and few years and read. There were people complaining about it potentially being a problem. Not sure if your trying to imply something, but either way you are incorrect. Maybe you were too busy calling everyone trolls.

I have no problem with players having outside interests as long as they remember that it's football that butters their bread.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
There was a jazz rap group in the 90's who I really enjoyed.. I wanna say they were called "Digable Planets" but don't quote me on that. They were extremely talented musicians who just happened to want to talk over their music.. Maybe they couldn't sing? They were the opening act for Earth,Wind and Fire at a concert I went to back in the day and I loved them.. Unfortunately like a lot of groups they broke up on and off and never put out music consistently. Maybe their sales had something to do with that as well. They fell right in that era when rap was turning more hard edged and they simply weren't that. Who knows.. I do know that this discussion has made me curious to go find some of their music and give it a re-listen.
go to youtube do a search, probably find a bunch of their stuff. I do that with new music and old music.
I have got a bunch of live shows, with bands I liked in past, from youtube, and usually their studio albums are there too.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
You might want to go back and few years and read. There were people complaining about it potentially being a problem. Not sure if your trying to imply something, but either way you are incorrect. Maybe you were too busy calling everyone trolls.

I have no problem with players having outside interests as long as they remember that it's football that butters their bread.
Just IMO , but guys into rap, tend to be obsessed with it. So no way he will stay focused on football.
Football will be just something he does to finance his rap career.

And I am not saying he will be a bad player, he may do good, but football will never be #1 interest for him.
He will now be a instant millionaire, so he will soon be "busting a move" lol with his rap interests.

the_h0wey

Reaction score
I've heard a number of people complaining about this pick.. This guy blanketed pretty much anybody he faced and reportedly sports blazing speed enough to run with anybody including Tyreke Hill. People seem bent outta shape over the whole "rap career" thing.. which I suppose might be a thing.. but unless his music gets a lot better he's not going to make enough money from it to quit football. He's hardly the first player to have interests outside football.. Given the receivers the Eagles and Giants drafted and let's not forget McLaurin in DC having a guy who is as fast as any of them can only be a plus. Watching how effortlessly he runs stride for stride with the Bama Heisman trophy winner is eye opening to say the least. I'm looking forward to watching teams try him deep.. cause I don't think it's going to work out that well for them..
I think it has more to do with people thinking he was taken a round early based on mock drafts.

Fastpitch Dad

Reaction score
Says the guy who has been here for a minute. I put up with that guys BS for years as a MOD. LOL..... I won't be doing it as a regular old poster.

I mean, read the post. It's not real tough to figure out that I said nothing even remotely close to what he suggested. That wasn't an accident on his part. It's a whatever thing but what it's not, is worth my time to worry about.

Have a good day.
He obviously doesn't know anything about the person you were replying to either. He loves to make drama on here daily.

The odd thing is he fancies himself an optimist when he's not insulting/name-calling. I try not to take the bait from him very often, but sometimes he's too much. And it's exactly what he's looking for. What a sad life it must be to where you get pleasure from being an antagonist on a message board.