Kelvin Joseph or Daron Bland?

Creeper

Reaction score
I do prefer Malik Hooker be in the vicinity of some of these bombs hoisted down field .

That would be preferable but on the big throw over Brown the Giants had two WRs streaking down opposite sidelines. Hooker was the lone safety not in coverage. He had to make a choice. If he went to Brown's side before the ball was thrown Jones would have thrown to the opposite side where he had 1 on 1 coverage. Maybe Hooker should have chosen to go help Brown if Diggs was on the other side, but he had a difficult choice there.

After watching that play again, I think Brown was in excellent position but just before Slayton jumped to high point the ball, he put his hands on Brown to hold him down so he could not leap. Notice Brown never really got off the ground. Nice trick by the receiver. Still had Brown got his arm up he could have knocked the ball out.

Creeper

Reaction score
The Cowboys have Joseph as an outside CB and Bland as a slot CB and that's how they will play them. If Brown or Diggs goes down, Joseph gets the nod to replace them. With Lewis down, Bland gets the call.

Bland has been okay. He is young and learning but I worry about his speed. Joseph has speed and can keep up with the faster receivers. They both need experience playing CB to learn how to play the ball in the air. But honestly, Brown wasn't great at that either.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bland:
17/22, 77%
162 yards allowed
9.5 yards per catch
2 TDs allowed
126 QB passer rating
Where did you get those numbers?

Difference sources will vary a bit because responsibility for coverage is a subjective stat.

I have:
17/21, 81%
185 yards allowed
10.9 yards per catch
1 TD allowed
99.4 QB passer rating
Depth of Target 4.5 yards

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Although Anthony Brown did give up a contested catch to Watson near the goal line in the first half of the Cowboy, he was running stride for stride with Watson, and only a fantastic effort by Watson made the catch possible. When Brown went down with an injury, the Cowboys tried both Joseph and Bland in replacing him. The result was the Packers coming back from a 14 point deficit in the 4th quarter.

Certainly, Anthony Brown is not one of the top CB’s in the NFL. But he is a quality NFL level CB who has been a key defensive contributor for 7 seasons. There is a reason the Cowboys were targeting Patrick Surtain in the draft in 2020. No one is upset that the consolation prize was Micah Parsons. But the Cowboys do still need to upgrade the outside CB position. Joseph is obviously underperforming as a 2nd round pick.

We should all be grateful that Brown is back on the field. He is a big reason the Cowboys have been able to win the last two weeks, and his absence in the 2nd half in the Packers game is a big reason the Cowboys lost.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Where did you get those numbers?

Difference sources will vary a bit because responsibility for coverage is a subjective stat.

I have:
17/21, 81%
185 yards allowed
10.9 yards per catch
1 TD allowed
99.4 QB passer rating
Depth of Target 4.5 yards
Player profiler.
The difference in QB passer rating is the big one for me.
Who do you use?

blueblood70

Reaction score
I get it. The things is they have a 5th round rookie starting before two 2nd year CBs drafted in the 2nd n 3rd round. Yes, they have practice, but some guys are gamers. Maybe they suck, but it's just weird that their not getting a shot when Bland isn't light it up, and AB has position flex to go inside.
where they were drafted doesn't have much to do with how many snaps they will get. if they feel all things being equal amongst them, they go with the player maybe with the most upside or less penalty's or who knows maybe just testing all of them in different situations until one is clearly better.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That would be preferable but on the big throw over Brown the Giants had two WRs streaking down opposite sidelines. Hooker was the lone safety not in coverage. He had to make a choice. If he went to Brown's side before the ball was thrown Jones would have thrown to the opposite side where he had 1 on 1 coverage. Maybe Hooker should have chosen to go help Brown if Diggs was on the other side, but he had a difficult choice there.

After watching that play again, I think Brown was in excellent position but just before Slayton jumped to high point the ball, he put his hands on Brown to hold him down so he could not leap. Notice Brown never really got off the ground. Nice trick by the receiver. Still had Brown got his arm up he could have knocked the ball out.
@RonWashington

The FS normally focuses in the side with 2 WRs.

The slot WR and other outside WR were opposite side on that play.

They rarely give Brown deep help.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Player profiler.
The difference in QB passer rating is the big one for me.
Who do you use?
Pro Football Reference

The 1 vs 2 TDs allowed difference is probably most of the difference in the passer rating. The sample size is small.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Yeah I think Joseph needs to sink or swim at this point. Time to find out if f he is a keeper.
I agree. Cowboys need to find out what KJ is in games for a couple reasons:
1) Start his development as a CB or figure out if they need to cut bait.
2) Cut bait? Supposedly a good CB draft coming up.

Stak78

Reaction score
Kelvin Joseph is physically gifted. He was taken in the 2nd round due to his potential. He is big, fast and athletically strong. However, he’s still raw and a bit of a knuckle head. If he can ever figure out the CB position he could be real special and a perfect bookend for Diggs.

DaRon Bland has been a pleasant surprise considering where he was drafted. He flashed really special when he first played. He looks more average lately, but he is definitely worth trying to develop. He already looks to be more polished than Nashon Wright.

Acceptablename

Reaction score
Who do you prefer to start going forward this season?

Daron has been playing nickel and I've noticed a drop in his play or exposure...pff has him:
Targeted: 31
Receptions Allowed: 27
Also, Bland hasn't stepped up in the run game as nickel backs have to do.
For Kelvin to get on the field AB would have to move to the nickel spot where he has played well in the past...allowing KJ to man the outside CB opposite Diggs. Pff has KJ:
Targeted: 6
Receptions Allowed: 4
Joseph can make some bonehead plays and has struggled to get on the field.
Bland has dropped off in his play but he isn’t a knucklehead. Joseph is a super knucklehead. I believe bland will work his problems out. Trust Bland.

RonWashington

Reaction score
@RonWashington

The FS normally focuses in the side with 2 WRs.

The slot WR and other outside WR were opposite side on that play.

They rarely give Brown deep help.

He needs it . And I like him over Joseph or Bland but isn’t a FS Also a defensive center fielder who “ breaks “ on the ball thrown .

RonWashington

Reaction score
I love the fact that we have so many safeties and TEs.

And that our two starting CBs look healthy.

Anthony Brown is so underrated it's ridiculous.

He gets beat, sometimes.

So what? They all do.

Exactly . It’s perfectly put . DB’s get beat it’s the nature of the job. DQ is an excellent DC knows his players . In 2023 would like to see a fluid young athletic Safety Mukuamu crack the safety code and start .

Daillest88

Reaction score
Bland needs more time. Drafted late for a reason. But did show flashes in the preseason. Give him time

3rdEyewarrior

Reaction score

Daron has been playing nickel and I've noticed a drop in his play or exposure...pff has him:

For Kelvin to get on the field AB would have to move to the nickel spot where he has played well in the past...allowing KJ to man the outside CB opposite Diggs. Pff has KJ:
Kelvin has everything bland has plus speed. Bland is i”prefer baby 4.5 2 ish. He dies t lol like he had the hips to play the slot. He can be good with great technique and physicality.

Stsinaz12

Reaction score

Get me someone else