Kelvin Joseph says he finally figured it out, Puts the league on notice

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I just looked it up on phone. It's from the hiphop culture.

Who told you it was rural?
Finna is more a matter of lazy speaking. It's not unique to a particular cultural.
Rural dwellers have lazy tongues; New Yorkers have lazy tongues and so do Southerners.
It's easy to "blame" hiphop culture for words spoken with a lazy tongue. And it's just as easy to look at language usage of a particular people group and assume that a particular word comes from them.
But I've heard "finna" from Southerners long before it became a part of the lexicon of hiphop. And "yall" is another perfect example of Southerners truncating syllables to make up a word. It's the same as "finna." It's all part of colloquialism developed via lazy tongues and fast speaking.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
Finna is more a matter of lazy speaking. It's not unique to a particular cultural.
Rural dwellers have lazy tongues; New Yorkers have lazy tongues and so do Southerners.
It's easy to "blame" hiphop culture for words spoken with a lazy tongue. And it's just as easy to look at language usage of a particular people group and assume that a particular word comes from them.
But I've heard "finna" from Southerners long before it became a part of the lexicon of hiphop. And "yall" is another perfect example of Southerners truncating syllables to make up a word. It's the same as "finna." It's all part of colloquialism developed via lazy tongues and fast speaking.
Yeah I'm 50, from Texas, have said it my entire life, and it most certainly didn't come from hip hop. I predate hip hop :(. Mine sounds a little more like fixinta but I say it. I don't say ya'll, I don't say ain't, and I don't have much of a Texas drawl, but I can't shake saying fixing to. It doesn't seem anymore strange to me than about to coming out as bout ta. It's weird that I never write it though, only say it. And no it's not unique to a culture as I hear it all the time in Jamaican Patois.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Yeah I'm 50, from Texas, have said it my entire life, and it most certainly didn't come from hip hop. I predate hip hop :(. Mine sounds a little more like fixinta but I say it. I don't say ya'll, I don't say ain't, and I don't have much of a Texas drawl, but I can't shake saying fixing to. It doesn't seem anymore strange to me than about to coming out as bout ta. It's weird that I never write it though, only say it. And no it's not unique to a culture as I hear it all the time in Jamaican Patois.
When people talk fast, they tend to truncate certain syllables in their words. One of the worst among Southerners is "fis-cal" for "fiz-eye-cal" (physical). But it's normal for all people, unless your conversational speech is your professional speech.
My wife kids me because I say "i-dee-a" instead of "ideal."
But when I speak formally like in class or if I'm giving a presentation or speech, I slow my speech to make sure I enunciate my words.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I care much more about what Jospeh thinks he has figured out much more than dialect.

For those of you that understand the position, what could he possibly mean?

Sounds a little more like he found some confidence that wasn’t there beforehand.

His situation aside, it takes many non top picks so long to actually develop, teams ought to have more than four seasons of control. Different topic.

Calvin2Tony2Emmitt2Julius

Reaction score

That is Boolshyz. I am a 60 year old Jersey Boy. I was around LONG before Hip Hop. You have proved my point that the world is getting dumber due to PHONES that have all that DATA on it.

Who checks the DATA ? I was born in 1963 and trust me finna was around before hip hop culture, What I'm saying is you might want to get a new phone plan, Because that one led you astray.

Fresh ? ok Dope ? Ok I'll even go as far back as , Fly

Finna ? country people said that LONG before Hip Hop

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

Your first mistake was trying to find the definition of "slang" on your phone lol. You could've just asked people here it would've given you the right answer.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
That is Boolshyz. I am a 60 year old Jersey Boy. I was around LONG before Hip Hop. You have proved my point that the world is getting dumber due to PHONES that have all that DATA on it.

Who checks the DATA ? I was born in 1963 and trust me finna was around before hip hop culture, What I'm saying is you might want to get a new phone plan, Because that one led you astray.

He has to be trying to be funny. You can't be that out of touch to have to use your phone to tell you where "finna" came from lol.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
He's not horrible on special teams. When he's not making dumb penalties. Not what I'd expect from a 2nd rounder.
It’s not. But it’s what I want to see in a player who’s failed to live up to his potential or his draft status. I want to know will you contribute to my team ins positive way. And as of now he can do that on special teams.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
It’s not. But it’s what I want to see in a player who’s failed to live up to his potential or his draft status. I want to know will you contribute to my team ins positive way. And as of now he can do that on special teams.
He hasn't though. He's barely earned this thread topic.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
It's the mental aspect of Joseph's game that damns his performance. Let's hope he has it figured out by now. We're about to find out.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I said last year he should be playing in the slot or at safety. Outside corner might not be his calling.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score

Yeah it definitely predates hip hop. i always thought it was old country/southern slang.

cowboyed

Reaction score
Yes, Kelvin has figured out not to turn on his cellphone or bring popcorn when he watches film.

Rayman70

Reaction score
he learns at his own pace, DOG YEARS.
get