CFZ Key question to me about this Cowboys team going into tonight

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The Cowboys have bounced back after losses real well they’re either 9-1 or 10-1 after losses. However, last weeks beat down to San Francisco will be a little tougher to bounce back from. That one had to have shaken our confidence some. I think San Francisco and Philly losing yesterday should provide some inspiration tonight that no team in the league is invincible. If we don’t respond well tonight and take another one on the chin, I think you can pretty much throw in the towel on this Cowboys team for this season.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Every game is about matchups. That can be overcome by a team playing at a very high emotional level, but that's hard to miantain for an entire game. But it can result in a team getting a (however much you can in the NFL) comfortable early lead.

Methinks Dallas will come out with smoke coming out of their ears to start the game, especially the defense...

diamonddelts

Reaction score
Insanity- Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Motorola

Reaction score
IMO- Key question going into tonight’s game after that embarrassment last week:
  • Will this team get up off the mat and counterpunch or will it just stay on the mat for the count?
One of the good signs with Big Mac at the helm is since 2021, his teams are 8-1 after a loss.
I don’t know what happens tonight but whatever happens, it will say a lot about this team’s character and identity. The body language I saw last Sun in SF was of a team that is psychologically damaged. Will they right themselves and show some pride or are they doubting themselves and the coaches they play for?

Even if this team loses and at least fights hard, I will have some hope. This has been one of the softer teams in this league for far too long. If we get a similar prep and effort as we saw last Sunday night, this team will go into the bye with some even bigger questions. These guys need to show some fight tonight or we can question everything about it.
The Cowboys game tonight should not just be about attitude-
but also performance.
Offense:
- in and out of the huddle quickly
- line up correctly; motion players move efficiently \ get set
- blocks maintained, routes run precisely
- no mental gaffes or bad moves that result in penalties
- play until the whistle is blown
Defense:
- know assignments - starters and rotation guys
- be aware of the situation- down & distance, juncture of the game
- communicate when the opposing offense throws in a wrinkle or unusual formation
- avoid getting caught up in personal, one-on-one battles that too often result in personal fouls = penalties that give the opposition an advantage
-play until the whistle is blown

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys game tonight should not just be about attitude-
but also performance.
Offense:
- in and out of the huddle quickly
- line up correctly; motion players move efficiently \ get set
- blocks maintained, routes run precisely
- no mental gaffes or bad moves that result in penalties
- play until the whistle is blown
Defense:
- know assignments - starters and rotation guys
- be aware of the situation- down & distance, juncture of the game
- communicate when the opposing offense throws in a wrinkle or unusual formation
- avoid getting caught up in personal, one-on-one battles that too often result in personal fouls = penalties that give the opposition an advantage
-play until the whistle is blown
For sure. I consider the quality of their performance tonight to correlate directly with getting up off the mat and counterpunching.

CCBoy

Reaction score
  • Will this team get up off the mat and counterpunch or will it just stay on the mat for the count?
One of the good signs with Big Mac at the helm is since 2021, his teams are 8-1 after a loss.
I don’t know what happens tonight but whatever happens, it will say a lot about this team’s character and identity. The body language I saw last Sun in SF was of a team that is psychologically damaged. Will they right themselves and show some pride or are they doubting themselves and the coaches they play for?

Even if this team loses and at least fights hard, I will have some hope. This has been one of the softer teams in this league for far too long. If we get a similar prep and effort as we saw last Sunday night, this team will go into the bye with some even bigger questions. These guys need to show some fight tonight or we can question everything about it.
Just like a good collegiate wrestler...the Cowboys will take them down by going for the legs and then pin them while lying on the opponents' chest and holding a leg and around the head.

Creeper

Reaction score

I agree this is the big question for tonight, and it applies specifically to Dak, the OL, and the defense. I do not want to see Stephon Gilmore getting beat all night.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I don't think that's the real question. The team doesn't just play "good" one week and "bad" the next week. "Getting off the mat" doesn't mean much of anything to me.

There are things that some teams can do on offense that Dallas simply can't defend. On the other side, I'm super-unimpressed with the McCarthy offense: seems like old and stale ideas that don't get anybody open. That's fine when you can dink and dunk, but not when the pressure gets to you quickly or you need to come back.

So the questions are:
Which type of team is the Chargers? Their defense is pretty bad, but mostly on throws up the middle, where Dallas has been terrible. Their offense is strong, but is it strong in the way that they can do to us what Arizona and SF did?

And, can we adjust to the things Arizona and SF did to us so that other teams with similar capabilities can't?

DenCWBY

Reaction score
For sure. I consider the quality of their performance tonight to correlate directly with getting up off the mat and counterpunching.
This for sure. Our DC have been playing like bullies to the bad teams, and finally got punched in the nose by the Cards. Then they picked a fight with the Cards big brother and were pushed around like beaten soundly on all fronts by the 9ers. This game will be a test to see who this team is or wants to be. Right now, all they are is pretenders with a lot of hats and no cattle. Let's see which offensive and defensive lines dominate tonight.

Kwyn

Reaction score
I'm still trying to wrap my head around what CLE was able to do defensively vs SF.
Injuries eliminated any semblance of a rushing threat so they could cheat to cover the passing routes more effectively.

That’s the main thing I saw.

Plus, the Browns defense, so far, had been dominant. Just shutting every team down.

plasticman

Reaction score
I'm encouraged by the fact that, over the two previous seasons, the Cowboys lost two games in a row only once and that game went into overtime.

75boyz

Reaction score
If you've said it once you've said it a hundred times here Bob.
Does this team possess the necessary mental and physical toughness required of a championship team?

For me personally...
I strongly have my doubts in both the head coach and quarterback but would really enjoy some medium well cooked crow to prove me wrong.

jmo

Blackrain

Reaction score
It's fully understandable that after that beat down by San Francisco the team was mentally and physically beat up and the locker room was no doubt in a shambles.

But if these players have any aspirations of wanting to win a super bowl and not just wanting to preserve their careers make money and market their brand after seeing the eagles and 49ers both lose over the weekend it should be more than enough incentive for them to come out with a fire lit under them and play hard enough to win

shabazz

Reaction score

I hope to hell our boys come out swinging. the team needs a confidence booster.

I just take it one game at a time. Sometimes elated, sometimes saddened…..but seldom surprised.

plymkr

Reaction score

I agree. To me tonight isn’t about winning and losing. I want to see the psyche of the team. Have the guys quit on Dak and Mike, is there division, can they be mentally tough. Obviously a win would go a long way to dispelling a lot of fears and a loss will go a long way to proving gears right.