CFZ Key roster decision question: Does keeping that guy make us better?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One thing we too often do as fans is become attached to good players because they play for our favorite team and maybe have for years. We see it all the time. Fans love players because, “Look at what they did for us this year”, or “He was a pro bowler”, as if we would be foolish to ever even consider getting rid of one of our players we like.

Sadly, that description above is too often a spot on representation of our GM who thinks more like a fan than a cold eyed talent evaluator that would move any player to get better.

Here‘s a real important question I seriously hope our FO is asking when making key roster decisions this off-season:
Does keeping that player make us BETTER? Not as good as last year. BETTER NEXT YEAR. If not, why are we keeping them?

Here’s some cold truth that needs to be inhaled at the Star: Our roster as constructed last year was not good enough to win a single playoff game. It’s one thing to have lost in the SB or even the conference final. This team has been to neither in 28 years.

Has it ever occurred to our GM and son that perhaps the best players we need right now for 2024 are either on a college campus right now training for the draft or are about to be a FA? We have 16 players about to enter free agency. A few may need to stay. But I hope we get a ton of fresh new names with talent, toughness and a commitment to the idea that this team has done almost nothing the last three decades. There are no laurels to be proud of.

Last edited:

rguido

Reaction score
I would like to think they do this every year, but the question is can they be replaced by someone better without giving up picks, or them asking for ridiculous amounts of money.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
One thing we too often do as fans is become attached to good players because they play for our favorite team and maybe have for years. We see it all the time. Fans love players because, “Look at what they did for us this year”, or “He was a pro bowler”, as if we would be foolish to ever even consider getting rid of one of our players we like.

Sadly, that description above is too often a spot on representation of our GM who thinks more like a fan than a cold eyed talent evaluator that would move any player to get better.

Here‘s a real important question I seriously hope our FO is asking when making key roster decisions this off-season:
Does keeping that player make us BETTER? Not as good as last year. BETTER NEXT YEAR. If not, why are we keeping them?

Here’s some cold truth that needs to be inhaled at the Star: Our roster as constructed last year was not good enough to win a single playoff game. It’s one thing to have lost in the SB or even the conference final. This team has been to neither in 28 years.
Has it ever occurred to our GM and son that perhaps the best players we need right for 2024 are either on a college campus right now training for the draft or are about to be a FA? We have 16 players about to enter free agency. A few may need to stay. But I hope we get a ton of fresh talent with talent, toughness and a commitment to the idea that this team has done almost nothing the last three decades. There are no laurels to be proud of.
Agree 100%. They've got to get tougher, meaner and bigger up the middle.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Has it ever occurred to our GM and son that perhaps the best players we need right for 2024 are either on a college campus right now training for the draft or are about to be a FA? We have 16 players about to enter free agency. A few may need to stay. But I hope we get a ton of fresh talent with talent, toughness and a commitment to the idea that this team has done almost nothing the last three decades. There are no laurels to be proud of.
This team needs a serious overhaul.
I don't know if Jerry will embrace that.
Status quo seems to be the motto.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There can't be too much of this off season. Clearly there are players that aren't working out and need to go.
Sometimes letting go of someone who has been “good” and here for a long time can actually be a reset button. When Aaron Rodgers left GreenBay last summer no one immediately thought, “Yeah that team is gonna win a playoff game with Jordan Love”.

I was saying a few years ago we needed to release or trade Zeke before he was signed to that big contract. Because having him for 4 years had resulted in making the playoffs 2 times, winning only a wild card game.

Point being if keeping talented guys around who get the stats but ultimately don’t lead to winning a bunch of playoff games, what’s the point? Selling jerseys?

The Jones boys will do everything they can to keep their "stars" even though they've never won anything more than a wild card game. It's what they do.
If we aren’t winning playoff games, what the point of “running it back”?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Because they're "close" in the minds of the Jones boys. Twelve win regular seasons will keep them believing that.

It doesn't change unless it blows up, a la 2010.
Local Dallas sports radio host Craig Miller did a segment this week saying that he thinks 2024 will be another 2010 where the bottom falls out. In 2009, Wade’s third year, the Cowboys won the east and a wild card game. Then they got blown out by the Vikes 34-3 in the divisional round.

Jerry was asked if big changes were coming. They rolled it back with Wade, starting 1-4 that next year in 2010, then Romo broke his collarbone, before Jerry fired Wade at midseason. Then Jason Garrett was promoted for what would turn out to be a decade of making The playoffs only 3 times. Deep sigh.

Old'Boyfan

Reaction score
I've heard a number of people say Jerry is a rotten GM but a good business man. I don't think that's entirely true. A good business man wouldn't have let Dak & Dak's agent hogtie Jerry like this. Can't franchise tag Dak, Can't trade Dak, and now forced to extend Dak to escape the crippling cap hit.
Just kickin' that can down the road.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Has it ever occurred to our GM and son that perhaps the best players we need right now for 2024 are either on a college campus right now training for the draft or are about to be a FA? We have 16 players about to enter free agency. A few may need to stay. But I hope we get a ton of fresh new names with talent, toughness and a commitment to the idea that this team has done almost nothing the last three decades. There are no laurels to be proud of.
Bob, while I agree with you that sometimes it is wise to move away from a player, even a good player at times, it is not realistic to always upgrade at every spot.

Dallas will have to resign some of the Jourdan Lewis, Stephon Gilmore, and Dorance Armstrongs of the world (solid, but not great) in order to build a roster with depth and good all around play.

I think they would be wise to let players like Biadasz, Kearse, and Gallup go and replace them through the draft. There is actually a very good chance to upgrade both positions and save money.

Sometimes I think Jerry is afraid to make a move which is good for the team just because a player has acquired quite a few accolades. He is also terrified of allowing the team to take a step back in order to leap forward. A losing season and reset year could be the healthiest way for this team to move forward and retool the roster.

The Cowboys have some very tough calls to make this offseason. Retaining both CeeDee and Micah while dealing with the Dak Prescott monster cap hit this year will be extremely challenging and probably limit this team’s ability to upgrade the roster very much at all. Could trading Lamb or Parsons while they are at the height of their value for two first rounders be a wiser path forward? I believe there is a very valid argument to be made for this move.

Either way, I hope the tough decisions are made and not shied away from like they have been so many times by this front office. The status quo cannot be run back again next season. It clearly is not enough.

TWOK11

Reaction score
Question often depends on your plan to replace said player. In other words even if the player themselves isn’t better next year, are you likely WORSE because you aren’t going to realistically get someone better in one offseason?

For example, keeping Tyron Smith likely makes us better next year than we otherwise would be because the chances that any tackle who signs or is drafted will be better than him NEXT SEASON is extremely low.

And of course the most obvious example is Dak. You can do whatever else you want to the roster, this team is winning 5 games next year if you cut or trade him because it’s generally impossible to replace that level of QB play in one offseason and by the metrics only one winning team this year was more statistically dependent on their QB than we were to win games. It would be hard for Dak himself to be better than what was his best year to date, but this team will be awful if he’s not here because we’re so dependent on him.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bob, while I agree with you that sometimes it is wise to move away from a player, even a good player at times, it is not realistic to always upgrade at every spot.

Dallas will have to resign some of the Jourdan Lewis, Stephon Gilmore, and Dorance Armstrongs of the world (solid, but not great) in order to build a roster with depth and good all around play.

I think they would be wise to let players like Biadasz, Kearse, and Gallup go and replace them through the draft. There is actually a very good chance to upgrade both positions and save money.

Sometimes I think Jerry is afraid to make a move which is good for the team just because a player has acquired quite a few accolades.

The Cowboys have some very tough calls to make this offseason. Retaining both CeeDee and Micah while dealing with the Dak Prescott monster cap hit this year will be extremely challenging and probably limit this team’s ability to upgrade the roster very much at all. Could trading Lamb or Parsons while they are at the height of their value for two first rounders be a wiser path forward? I believe there is a very valid argument to be made for this move.

Either way, I hope the tough decisions are made and not shied away from like they have been so many times by this front office. The status quo cannot be run back again next season. It clearly is not enough.
Good post.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This year's schedule is going to be a little more brutal than the cupcake walk we've had the last three years.
We have some young building blocks on the OL and defensive lines. It's time to solidify those , find a QB, and get ready to compete in 2 seasons.

However, if we go the bandaid route you can start looking for your top 5 pick in 2025

Redline360

Reaction score
Firstly the term "pro bolwer" imo means hardly anything nowadays. More of a popularity contest nowadays and has been a joke for the longest time now.

Can't locate the post but someone summed it up perfectly. Went along the lines of JJ and Stephen are not held accountable as they are not true GM's. They don't have to worry about getting fired and etc.

Sadly we will never win another superbowl as long as JJ or Stephen is in charge. However miracles can happen but I'm not counting on it.

We keep coaches/players to long and get worked for bad contracts(it happens to all teams though). JJ and Stephen do not realize or admit mistakes until its years to late.

Plus JJ wants to win another superbowl before he passes away so rebuilding is out of the question. So we will be keeping "that" guy like it or not

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Honestly, I am starting to think the problem with this team isn't Jerry, coaches or players but Stephen Jones. He is structuring contracts and making calls on the quality of free agents we sign. Why is it other teams can sign affordable quality free agents year after year but we are always scraping the bottom of the barrel? Why can't we for example sign one, two maybe three quality free agency vs 4-5 bottom feeders? Look at the mess we are in with Dak's contract coz he refused to believe every franchise QB is different and counting one to play up to their value for the entire deal is risky. I mean he structured Aikman, Romo and Dak contracts using the same concept........like a line of credit to pay other players but increasing unpaid balance down the road. Hell, it worked out fine with Aikman and Romo but has created a mess with Dak.

I just think his approach to signing players is lazy and way too conservative.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
The "tons of fresh new names" has never been an approach this franchise has taken. What makes you think this will be any different? They will go out and sign a low grade FA and make a few moves and then draft.