CFZ Key roster decision question: Does keeping that guy make us better?

Carson

Reaction score
Gonna be hard to do this year in a draft where we lack all of our picks
We are missing a 4th.

We are going to get a 5th for McGovern, 6th for Schultz and 7th for Brown.

Per Big Dog
1st Round: No. 24
2nd Round: No. 56
3rd Round: No. 88
5th Round: Comp Pick (Connor McGovern)
6th Round: Comp Pick (Dalton Schultz)
7th Round: No. 234 (Raiders)
7th Round: No. 245

Possible additional 7th comp pick for Noah Brown.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We are missing a 4th.

We are going to get a 5th for McGovern, 6th for Schultz and 7th for Brown.

Per Big Dog
1st Round: No. 24
2nd Round: No. 56
3rd Round: No. 88
5th Round: Comp Pick (Connor McGovern)
6th Round: Comp Pick (Dalton Schultz)
7th Round: No. 234 (Raiders)
7th Round: No. 245

Possible additional 7th comp pick for Noah Brown.
If all correct there, that can still have some impact.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
The "tons of fresh new names" has never been an approach this franchise has taken. What makes you think this will be any different? They will go out and sign a low grade FA and make a few moves and then draft.
It's not the approach that any team takes, because you can't in the cap era.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The "tons of fresh new names" has never been an approach this franchise has taken. What makes you think this will be any different? They will go out and sign a low grade FA and make a few moves and then draft.
This FO seems to misunderstand the definition of “close”. If just making the playoffs is considered close to a championship, they are already missing the point.

I keep coming back to this simple idea: if the same core group of players have given you some regular season wins and a wild card win once in a while, how is that in any way seen as “close”?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
One thing we too often do as fans is become attached to good players because they play for our favorite team and maybe have for years. We see it all the time. Fans love players because, “Look at what they did for us this year”, or “He was a pro bowler”, as if we would be foolish to ever even consider getting rid of one of our players we like.

Sadly, that description above is too often a spot on representation of our GM who thinks more like a fan than a cold eyed talent evaluator that would move any player to get better.

Here‘s a real important question I seriously hope our FO is asking when making key roster decisions this off-season:
Does keeping that player make us BETTER? Not as good as last year. BETTER NEXT YEAR. If not, why are we keeping them?

Here’s some cold truth that needs to be inhaled at the Star: Our roster as constructed last year was not good enough to win a single playoff game. It’s one thing to have lost in the SB or even the conference final. This team has been to neither in 28 years.

Has it ever occurred to our GM and son that perhaps the best players we need right now for 2024 are either on a college campus right now training for the draft or are about to be a FA? We have 16 players about to enter free agency. A few may need to stay. But I hope we get a ton of fresh new names with talent, toughness and a commitment to the idea that this team has done almost nothing the last three decades. There are no laurels to be proud of.
Totally agree, it's time to get some talent in here, some of these players on here it's high time that they find a new team

1942willys

Reaction score
Jerry is actually a very good businessman everywhere except as regards salary for the players. Its the one place where he is NOT that good.
I read once that when he was a wildcatter he had a set time and budget for each well; if it did not reach it he dropped it fast.
Wish he did that with the team. ESPECIALLY COACHES

Gambit

Reaction score
We have a math problem.

16 FA
1 possible retiree

7 maybe 8 total picks with 4-5 of them 5th round or later.

Best case scenario is 8 open spots.
And remember 5 of the non open ones are 5th round or later picks.

This means we must either bring at least half our FA back or bring in new ones. This is best case scenario.

Now factor in we lose not only Gilly but JLew as well, Tyron may opt to move onward.

Let Bidasz go too

Now we need 2 corners
2 OL
DT
At least 1 LB of LVE leaves 2 LB.

A lot of pressure placed on just the draft to replace those.

1942willys

Reaction score
We have a math problem.

16 FA
1 possible retiree

7 maybe 8 total picks with 4-5 of them 5th round or later.

Best case scenario is 8 open spots.
And remember 5 of the non open ones are 5th round or later picks.

This means we must either bring at least half our FA back or bring in new ones. This is best case scenario.

Now factor in we lose not only Gilly but JLew as well, Tyron may opt to move onward.

Let Bidasz go too

Now we need 2 corners
2 OL
DT
At least 1 LB of LVE leaves 2 LB.

A lot of pressure placed on just the draft to replace those.
sadly I see more dumpster diving in FA

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
One thing we too often do as fans is become attached to good players because they play for our favorite team and maybe have for years. We see it all the time. Fans love players because, “Look at what they did for us this year”, or “He was a pro bowler”, as if we would be foolish to ever even consider getting rid of one of our players we like.

Sadly, that description above is too often a spot on representation of our GM who thinks more like a fan than a cold eyed talent evaluator that would move any player to get better.

Here‘s a real important question I seriously hope our FO is asking when making key roster decisions this off-season:
Does keeping that player make us BETTER? Not as good as last year. BETTER NEXT YEAR. If not, why are we keeping them?

Here’s some cold truth that needs to be inhaled at the Star: Our roster as constructed last year was not good enough to win a single playoff game. It’s one thing to have lost in the SB or even the conference final. This team has been to neither in 28 years.

Has it ever occurred to our GM and son that perhaps the best players we need right now for 2024 are either on a college campus right now training for the draft or are about to be a FA? We have 16 players about to enter free agency. A few may need to stay. But I hope we get a ton of fresh new names with talent, toughness and a commitment to the idea that this team has done almost nothing the last three decades. There are no laurels to be proud of.
Not gonna get better at every position. Will inevitably get worse at some. Doesn't mean that keeping that player is a bad choice. Could still be the best alternative.

I think the relevant question for our current players is whether you'd want the player and his contract if he were on another team today.

Many tend to overvalue *our own* assets because in the back of our minds they're weaving dreams of trading them for mountains of gold from another team. And they similarly have dreams of getting Mahomes for a nickel. Gotta at least balance the *overvaluing* of our own by *considering* the scenario where they are not our own, and we're *undervaluing* them.

Creeper

Reaction score
I believe that a team should try to upgrade every position when they have the opportunity depending on CAP implications. But it has to start with team weaknesses. If I could get a better TE than Ferguson for example, I would not make it a priority. I would start with my worse players and begin the upgrades there. Then there is the degree of impact. Maybe a better TE than Fergie comes along, but he is only slightly better. But I have a chance to sign a player who is light years ahead of Gallimore. Obviously I apply my resources to the replacement of Gallimore.

I hope the Cowboys sit down and ask themselves what can we do better? The answer has to be run the ball and stop the run. Start faster might be there too but maybe that's connected to not being able to run the football.

I would also ask what do I do well? Those a re things you do not want to destroy fixing the things you do poorly. Example, the Cowboys rush the passer really well. But it looks like they backed off pressure to stop the run and all that got them was a lousy defense that stopped nothing, got no pressure and not turnovers. They need to be able to keep up the pressure and still stop the run. .

MarkP88

Reaction score
Self-scouting might be this organization's biggest weakness. I don't expect it to change this year, unfortunately.

quickccc

Reaction score
The Jones boys will do everything they can to keep their "stars" even though they've never won anything more than a wild card game. It's what they do.

Very True.
They re-sign the guys they consider core players. .

Otherwise they allow them to walk per FA, ala Demarco Murray, Conner Williams, Byron Jones, Dalton Schultz, Conner McGovern, ,etc..

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Belichick was great at moving on from players. And he usually got a good trade for them as well.

We have several players that fit this. But I doubt Jerry will do anything close to that.
However, it depends on how they think the draft will fall.

FVSTONE

Reaction score

Maybe it's time JJ plays hardball with Prescot. Don't sign him to an extension and when the draft rolls around trade both our 1st and 2nd to move way up in the draft to pick maybe Bo Nix from Oregon. Heck, JJ pretty much threw away our 1st and 2nd rd picks away in the 2023 draft when HE drafted those two questionable players out of Michigan and we still finished with a 12 - 5 season. Our brand-new QB Bo Nix could sit while Prescot goes out, plays hard to earn a big contract from so other team next season and if Prescot is tearing it up then JJ could possibly trade him to a team for a couple of high picks and let either Rush or Lance or MAYBE BOTH QBs to takeover the QB duties and when the 2025 season starts slide our shiny new QB Bo Nix into the starting QB spot. Going into the 2025 season the Cowboys would be flush with CAP SPACE money since they won't be burden with Prescot's ridiculous contract anymore and go after some game changing FAs to complete the quick and clean re-build.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Local Dallas sports radio host Craig Miller did a segment this week saying that he thinks 2024 will another 2010 where the bottom falls out. In 2009, Wade’s third year, the Cowboys won the east and a wild card game. Then they got blown out by the Vikes 34-3 in the divisional round.

Jerry was asked if big changes were coming. They rolled it back with Wade, starting 1-4 that next year in 2010, then Romo broke his collarbone, before Jerry fired Wade at midseason. Then Jason Garrett was promoted for what would turn out to be a decade of making The playoffs only 3 times. Deep sigh.
I hope Mr. Miller gave me credit for using my thread from last week. :muttley:

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/2024-has-2010-vibes-to-me-given-the-similarities.521085/

rambo2

Reaction score
This team needs a serious overhaul.
I don't know if Jerry will embrace that.
Status quo seems to be the motto.
They need linebackers, better dtackle play, sign a good back like Henry, and draft the center from Oregon.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
2 CB
2 OL
DT
At least 2 LB

but we will get a TE, Hurt guy, DE, WR, and a reach at a QB in the final round.

Hope baby,