Video: Key to stopping Russell Wilson

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
This guy gives a great breakdown of the weaknesses on Seattle's O Line and what our Defense needs to do in order to stop and limit Wilson on Saturday night.

Fritsch_the_cat

Reaction score
I'm not sure what type of playing shape he is in, but I've wondered if it would work to replace a d-lineman with Sean Lee and have him do nothing but go after Wilson. Have him stunt/blitz every down. Crazy stupid, I know.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
"You can't stop him. You can only try to contain him".
Wow, I wonder if anyone else has ever used that line? :facepalm:

CB61

Reaction score
I'm not sure what type of playing shape he is in, but I've wondered if it would work to replace a d-lineman with Sean Lee and have him do nothing but go after Wilson. Have him stunt/blitz every down. Crazy stupid, I know.
Not a bad idea too unconventional for our coaching staff to think of that but not a bad idea with the exception he probably hurt his hamstring on the second play LOL

McKDaddy

Reaction score
collapse the pocket and maintain contain
easier said than done but exactly right. If our D line was at full strength, maybe even Irving with his head on straight I would be more confident we had the tools to do it. Right now, I would say its dicey.

Willfreedom909

Reaction score
"You can't stop him. You can only try to contain him".
Wow, I wonder if anyone else has ever used that line? :facepalm:
It’s true though. Elite QBs don’t really falter. Wilson is the most dangerous QB after December. His #1 passer rating of all time in December/January speaks volumes.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys DE Tyrone Crawford vs. Seattle Seahawks OT Duane Brown

The last time these two teams met, Tyrone Crawford was lining up at defensive tackle. In this matchup, Crawford will be the starter at right defensive end. His opponent this week is the veteran tackle Duane Brown.

When you study Brown’s game, he’s not the type of blocker that’s going to impress you with his power. His technique is “catch and steer,” all while attempting to maintain his position throughout the block. The strength of his technique is that Brown does play with balance. It’s not often that you see him on the ground. Taco Charlton and Randy Gregory took the majority of the snaps against him in Week 3 and had problems with him in this area. They just couldn’t get him to overextend or reach on his blocks.

Where Crawford will have an advantage is that he does play with enough quickness off the snap to get into Brown, but it’s his power that will give him the majority of the problems. There were snaps in that game where Crawford was in a wide enough technique and Brown was unable to cut him off from the play. Crawford just powered himself in the direction of the ball and Brown couldn’t do anything about it.

The Seahawks like to run the ball on the edges, so how well Tyrone Crawford and DeMarcus Lawrence handle those attempts will be a real key here. Tyrone Crawford played one of his best games of the season against these Seahawks and I don’t expect anything different as these two teams meet again.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/flip-side-how-will-seattle-cover-cooper

ItzKelz

Reaction score
I'm more worried about stopping their running backs.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
easier said than done but exactly right. If our D line was at full strength, maybe even Irving with his head on straight I would be more confident we had the tools to do it. Right now, I would say its dicey.
The Seahawks have some issues on their OL right now. Collins and Crawford will get a lot of combo blocks with one of them mostly blocked man to man. Flooding the A gaps with stunts and timed blitzes could very effective for face pressure on Wilson. Gregory and DLaw have to play smart in this game and not rush the passer like mad men or the above strategy will kill the Cowboys.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Sounds like a good plan, Attack the right side - Flush wilson to the left and man the receivers. Spy wilson with Jaylon. Should be doable. While it may not work allways , if it works most of the time , D can get off the field and it will be upto Dak and Zeke/ Amari/ Bease / Jarwin / Gallup ....

DenCWBY

Reaction score
Not a bad idea too unconventional for our coaching staff to think of that but not a bad idea with the exception he probably hurt his hamstring on the second play LOL
Could actually see a blindside CB blitz or two which is rare for us. Esp if he starts getting comfortable in the pocket.

Zman5

Reaction score
The problem with the plan he is suggesting is that they've shuffled their OL. The OT (Ifedi) he thinks we need to attack is now playing guard.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
The problem with the plan he is suggesting is that they've shuffled their OL. The OT (Ifedi) he thinks we need to attack is now playing guard.

The Seahawks weakness is their OL. Period. It doesn’t matter a whole lot where they line people up— there are matchups that favor our DL that we should and have to win in order to take care of business.

DLaw, Gregory, and Crawford are all playing at very high levels— and Woods and Collins are solid as well.

Everything starts with stopping the run... gonna be a challenge— but I believe we are up for it

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think best way to stop him is force him into longer yardage passing situations. Seahawks are a run team they run, hell on the season they have ran it 534 time vs 427 passes, everything they do is set up by the run. Keeping them in bad down and distance situation is the big key.

Zman5

Reaction score
The Seahawks weakness is their OL. Period. It doesn’t matter a whole lot where they line people up— there are matchups that favor our DL that we should and have to win in order to take care of business.

DLaw, Gregory, and Crawford are all playing at very high levels— and Woods and Collins are solid as well.

Everything starts with stopping the run... gonna be a challenge— but I believe we are up for it

It does matter huge where you lineup. Playing OT is totally different than playing center or OG. A player can totally suck at OT but serviceable at OG and vice-versa.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Not a bad idea too unconventional for our coaching staff to think of
It's exactly what they did with Justin Durant against Aaron Rodgers. They had all 3 rushers collapse the pocket one direction, and then Durant delay and go after Rodgers when he had to move.

Lee is the wrong guy to do it though, because it needs to be a much bettter athlete to be effective against Wilson. I'd do it with Jaylon, if at all.