KFFL: J.Walker would rather retire

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Eskimo said:
I think this is an issue of respect - he feels he was treated poorly by the front office, Favre and the fan base. I would be very surprised if he played another down in GB.

GB has to take the position they won't trade him because otherwise it would drive down his trade value. I think they are waiting for some team to become desperate for a WR and offer them something of value. Lots of teams still have cap dollars so that helps out GB a great deal.

I wouldn't be surprised if a team like NE or Philly made a play for him before all is said and done.

I would bet you are correct....What team is in most need of a WR?..Philly.

The is close to being desperate. ;)

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
SouthernStar said:
And what "need" would that be? We are "set" at wide receiver.
Your willingness to trade a pick that we don't have is another indication that you are not "in tune" with this ball club.
If/when Glenn goes down again then we will not be so "set" at WR and we would all be crying for Walker. We have our top three but we are only one injury away from being in trouble and we have at least one injury prone WR on the team. Plus Crayton is coming off of an injury riddled season last year.

vpr532

Reaction score
Perhaps he's sick of Favre breaking his fingers with his bullet passes.

cowboyfan4life_mark

5 outta 8 ain't bad
Reaction score
Eskimo said:
I think this is an issue of respect - he feels he was treated poorly by the front office, Favre and the fan base. I would be very surprised if he played another down in GB.

GB has to take the position they won't trade him because otherwise it would drive down his trade value. I think they are waiting for some team to become desperate for a WR and offer them something of value. Lots of teams still have cap dollars so that helps out GB a great deal.

I wouldn't be surprised if a team like NE or Philly made a play for him before all is said and done.
:hammer:

He played on a one year tender and got injuried. Green Bay knows that he won't play for them again, but they have to take their "stand" in the media so they can get top billing for him.

Eskimo

Reaction score
JackMagist said:
If/when Glenn goes down again then we will not be so "set" at WR and we would all be crying for Walker. We have our top three but we are only one injury away from being in trouble and we have at least one injury prone WR on the team. Plus Crayton is coming off of an injury riddled season last year.

If you are going to win a championship, sometimes you just have to be lucky. If you spend all your picks and money on depth you won't have enough frontline starters to get anywhere.

Now Glenn has played pretty 3 of the last 4 seasons without major injury which is actually equivalent to Walker.

The FO has definitely decided to roll the dice at WR. We probably have the most explosive WR-tandem in the league right now in TO and TG. TO has attitude problems and TG has an injury history. We just have to hope for the best and that other players (Witten, Crayton, Julius) can step it up if one goes down for a short period of time.

I do think we need to seriously consider spending a first day pick on a WR for developmental purposes. The only player drafted the past 3 years has been Crayton and we are definitely in need of some youth at this position.

Eskimo

Reaction score
cowboyfan4life_mark said:
:hammer:

He played on a one year tender and got injuried. Green Bay knows that he won't play for them again, but they have to take their "stand" in the media so they can get top billing for him.

Actually, I think he is still on his rookie deal.

I think Favre publically called him out and Walker decided to come back in hoping an extension could be worked out. I think things escalated because the fans turned on him, he got injured and then FO wouldn't give him the extension he wanted. He probably feels betrayed by the fan base, FO and players (re: Favre - aka God of Wisconsin).

He will not play in GB again. The only question is how much GB gets for him and where he ends up.

It'll be nice to see GB in the gutter again. I never could stand them or their fans.

Hailmary

Reaction score
SouthernStar said:
And what "need" would that be? We are "set" at wide receiver.
Your willingness to trade a pick that we don't have is another indication that you are not "in tune" with this ball club.

First of all, I've already admitted to having forgotten we don't have a 4th this yr. As I've said earlier, my bad.

Secondly, as of now I do consider WR as a "need". If you think TO is a long term answer, well, then you haven't been paying attention to his past antics. He's also on the wrong side of thirty. Sure he's still performing at a very high level, but once you reach a certain age, things can go downhill overnight. You can also include Glenn in this category. Crayton has shown that he has a high ceiling, but if one of the top 2 misses any significant time due to injury, well, I'm not sure how comfortable I'd feel having him as our #2 (at this point in his career anyway).

Also, consider the fact the time it usually takes to develop a young receiver. On average, it's 2 to 3 yrs. If we draft one now, he should be able step in when Glenn calls it quits or when we grow tired of TO's antics. Drafting a WR would be taking the future into consideration.

Trdaing for someone like Walker would eliminate a "need" b/c he's proven he can produce and b/c he's young enough.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Eskimo said:
It'll be nice to see GB in the gutter again. I never could stand them or their fans.

I couldn't agree more. It's hard to not like Brett Favre. I think he's a fun plyer to watch and has fun playing the game. But, when Mike Holmgren made the "real America's team" comment, that was it. I will root agianst the Packers or any Holmgren lead team from now til eternity.

SS

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
Hailmary said:
He may sound a bit whiney, but you can't argue w/ the numbers he's put up in GB. And I for one wouldn't want to stay somewhere where I am greatly underappreciated by my employer.

I wonder if this is going to affect GB's ability to sign FAs in the future. I can see how some potential FAs might view the GB organization as being "cheap".

I doubt it, they will look as cheap as their offer they give a potential FA.

jcblanco22

Reaction score
The interesting thing is, Walker raised these very same issues right before camp last year, and ended up reporting. Does anyone else recall that?

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
JackMagist said:

This still does not necessitate a walker trade. There is the draft to consider for youth and additions whether the draft is deep in premium WR's or not. Our starting line-up is "set" and Glenn did finish this past year injury free. So in terms of depth, it makes more sense to draft or sign a FA rookie then to trade for a WR coming off an acl tear which is in itself problematic not withstanding the draft pick.

Further, it is common knowledge Walker wants crazy money thus his displeasure with GB. Sorry, this deal is not gonna happen!!

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jcblanco22 said:
The interesting thing is, Walker raised these very same issues right before camp last year, and ended up reporting. Does anyone else recall that?
That was before he blew his knee out.

A lot has changed in the past year...

I like Walker. Coming off an injury or not, I'd at least inquire. See what it would take to make the Packers and Walker happy.

notherbob

Reaction score
Looks to me like this is yet another situation which could have been avoided if both sides were a little more reasonable and a little less stubborn.

Poor organizational management on the part of the team and poor personal management on the part of Walker is a formula for failure. Had the team seen the wisdom of keeping a good player from going bonkers by renegotiating a contract his performance has surpassed, they would have retained his good will and had he not been so confrontational in his approach, there would have been room for the team to save face.

Yeah, the team can sit on his contract this year and even franchise him later. The team basically owns him but will lose him in time no matter what they do but they could have made him happy and kept him for the long run. He's gonna lose a lot of money and they're gonna lose a good player. Who's the winner?

Sometimes I just don't understand people.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Bullet22 said:
Farve should have kept his mouth shut...and as long as a player doesn't file the proper paperwork with the league, saying you are retire means nothing..

I agree, Walker had no say in Favour's contract and Favour should have no say in Walker's.

SouthernStar

Reaction score
JackMagist said:
A bigger need is a veteran backup quarterback. What are we gonna do if Bledsoe goes down?
If we lose a receiver to injury, we'll be a "little short" at WR, yeah, but T.O., Crayton, and Witten could carry the load "fairly well".
If we lose Bledsoe, it's ALL OVER, my friend. Romo has never taken a single NFL snap and Henson has gotten just a few.
Also, Javon Walker CAN'T retire. It takes 5 years to retire and he's got only four.
I can't figure out how you guys can "miss" these things......

BeWare94

Benched
Reaction score
neosapien23 said:
I think he is a little ticked off that Brett Favre spoke out against him. He stated that the public treated him pretty badly afterwards. There is too much bad blood their for him to stay.

When a "great" and beloved quarterback throws a receiver under the bus the public is going to treat the receiver badly, but Green Bay with Brett Favre is the one place where that poor treatment would conceiveably be ten times worse. Those myopic, racist inbreds up in Dairyland probably made it so bad that poor Jevon couldn't even leave his house. Up there I'm pretty sure that the song pretty much goes, "Brett Favre said it so it's gotta be true".

Eskimo

Reaction score
BeWare94 said:
When a "great" and beloved quarterback throws a receiver under the bus the public is going to treat the receiver badly, but Green Bay with Brett Favre is the one place where that poor treatment would conceiveably be ten times worse. Those myopic, racist inbreds up in Dairyland probably made it so bad that poor Jevon couldn't even leave his house. Up there I'm pretty sure that the song pretty much goes, "Brett Favre said it so it's gotta be true".

I suspect there is a strong element of truth to what you have said. I would be absoutely shocked in Walker ever suited up for the Packers again. He will eventually be traded, probably for a second rounder.

If we can get him for a cap friendly deal for the first couple of years plus a reasonable SB ($5M on signing with $5M roster bonus in 2007) and the price is a 3rd rounder in 2006/7, I could actually go for this trade.

BeWare94

Benched
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan said:
I agree, Walker had no say in Favour's contract and Favour should have no say in Walker's.

I agree.

It's also easy for me to say that you should report to camp, shut up and play when I've already got my uber contract in hand and you are playing on/outperforming your rookie deal.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
Eskimo said:
I suspect there is a strong element of truth to what you have said. I would be absoutely shocked in Walker ever suited up for the Packers again. He will eventually be traded, probably for a second rounder.

If we can get him for a cap friendly deal for the first couple of years plus a reasonable SB ($5M on signing with $5M roster bonus in 2007) and the price is a 3rd rounder in 2006/7, I could actually go for this trade.

he has to suit up at least by mid season or the packers retain his rights and he lose his who paycheck in fines

They all talk but they all break when they are not getting that paycheck