Kicker Eddy Pineiro

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I wanted us to pick him up last year when he was released to compete with Maher. He ended up in Carolina and made 94 percent of his field goals. He's only 27 years old and has just three years in the league. The first one wasn't great, but he's been 41 of 43 on field goals since then and 39 of 42 on extra points.

I'm not sure why Carolina hasn't re-signed him. I assume it's because they are getting their injured kicker back. But it seems like he'd be a good pickup to at least compete with Maher.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wanted us to pick him up last year when he was released to compete with Maher. He ended up in Carolina and made 94 percent of his field goals. He's only 27 years old and has just three years in the league. The first one wasn't great, but he's been 41 of 43 on field goals since then and 39 of 42 on extra points.

I'm not sure why Carolina hasn't re-signed him. I assume it's because they are getting their injured kicker back. But it seems like he'd be a good pickup to at least compete with Maher.
Good call. If he is available we should bring him in and check him out.

I'm not sold on Vizcaino being the answer to our kicker needs.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I think Vizcaino is the competition and we see either a Maher or Pinero brought in. Sportstrac estimates market value for Maher to be around $3.6M. I have to believe that Pinero is similar. No chance Dallas brings in two high paying kickers to compete.

NotForLong

Reaction score

What's His 40 time? . . . I heard on another thread that bs k must have a sub 4.65 forty to be effective

gimmesix

Reaction score
Really? So what have they been doing this off season so far? Seems they been competitive.
Just more complaining as usual I guess.
Cooks is entitled to be one of our top three WRs. Gilmore is entitled to start at corner.

Why haven't the Cowboys come out and said that even though we traded for them, they will have to compete if they want to be starters here?

gimmesix

Reaction score
I think Vizcaino is the competition and we see either a Maher or Pinero brought in. Sportstrac estimates market value for Maher to be around $3.6M. I have to believe that Pinero is similar. No chance Dallas brings in two high paying kickers to compete.
I agree with that. It will probably end up being Maher because Dallas likes to stick with who it knows, but I'd prefer Pineiro.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I agree with that. It will probably end up being Maher because Dallas likes to stick with who it knows, but I'd prefer Pineiro.
Agreed. I'm fully expecting Maher to come back, but would love to sign Pineiro if nothing else than having the guy who is 27 years old. Would love to hit on a sub 30 year old kicker that could realistically be here for the next half decade and we not be in the exact same situation this time in 2024.

exciter

Reaction score
Eh, I thought it was made clear Maher wasn’t coming back during the playoff fiasco… did I read that wrong? I’d thought they would have done so by now, if they were going to.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Eh, I thought it was made clear Maher wasn’t coming back during the playoff fiasco… did I read that wrong? I’d thought they would have done so by now, if they were going to.
Wouldn’t say it’s clear at all. Right now they’re running thin on other options besides Maher. Idk what the K draft class looks like but the fa market is pretty thin.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Not sure. Jerry seemed to be locked in on that, but we haven't really heard much regarding kicker since then, other than the team signing Vizcaino, who seems more like camp competition than the true kicker.

Could use a draft pick on one, but we haven't done that since David Buehler and that one didn't work out so well.

gimmesix

Reaction score
They cannot bring Maher back after the setting the missed extra points record
What? He's billing himself as a record-setting kicker. I don't trust him to get his head straight. He was hit and miss his first time with us, then seemed to get it figured out while with the Saints and continued on that path through the regular season with us until we got to the playoffs. Don't know if the rule enforcement messed him up or what, but it's hard to consider him reliable right now.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cooks is entitled to be one of our top three WRs. Gilmore is entitled to start at corner.

Why haven't the Cowboys come out and said that even though we traded for them, they will have to compete if they want to be starters here?
Why should they have to even say that. Usually most position are up for grabs. It is why they draft players to compete to eventually become starters.