Kiper examines Dallas' first-round options (ESPN)

Kchunda

Reaction score
"A Good Start"

"Although they filled major voids by signing Terrell Owens and Jason Fabini, the Cowboys still have many areas they need to address. In his latest mailbag, Mel Kiper Jr. examines Dallas' first-round options"

Anyone have a recap? It's on today's front page. . .

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/index

Thanks!

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score
Q: With Dallas signing wide receiver Terrell Owens and offensive tackle Jason Fabini, what area of need will the Cowboys address in the first round? -- Rob, Charlestown, R.I.

A: Two of the Cowboys need areas entering the draft were offensive tackle and wide receiver. Signing Owens and Fabini takes those two out of the equation. The other need areas are at free safety, where they could look at Virginia Tech's Jimmy Williams, or at linebacker, where they could take a player like Iowa's Chad Greenway or Ernie Sims from Florida State. Addressing two of their biggest needs through free agency also gives the Cowboys maneuverability to trade down.

dallasfan

Reaction score
shaketiller said:
Q: With Dallas signing wide receiver Terrell Owens and offensive tackle Jason Fabini, what area of need will the Cowboys address in the first round? -- Rob, Charlestown, R.I.

A: Two of the Cowboys need areas entering the draft were offensive tackle and wide receiver. Signing Owens and Fabini takes those two out of the equation. The other need areas are at free safety, where they could look at Virginia Tech's Jimmy Williams, or at linebacker, where they could take a player like Iowa's Chad Greenway or Ernie Sims from Florida State. Addressing two of their biggest needs through free agency also gives the Cowboys maneuverability to trade down.

I think Ernie Simms is going to be a great player, but when I see stuff like this, I believe that Mel Kiper Jr. is really just the name of a program that allows you to input a team's roster/player production, then it selects which player at a need position is more likely to fall to them, completely ignoring if they fit the system. They probably won't fix this until Mel Kiper version 3.0.

dwmyers

Reaction score
dallasfan said:
I think Ernie Simms is going to be a great player, but when I see stuff like this, I believe that Mel Kiper Jr. is really just the name of a program that allows you to input a team's roster/player production, then it selects which player at a need position is more likely to fall to them, completely ignoring if they fit the system. They probably won't fix this until Mel Kiper version 3.0.

Actually, this is a problem with all draft predictions and predictors, especially with the early predictions. They'll get to a point where they have good players and no teams in that range with that kind of positional need, and so you'll see a comment like:

The Flatbush Frogheads have other needs, but they couldn't pass up the Dimmsdale Brothers as their starting free safeties. Sarcasm of that quality doesn't come along very often, and they're sure to scoop them up.

It's called "fitting the mock draft to your idea of player value"..if you want to be impolite, you can call it dumping players into a slot to get them off your value list.

Later on, it's not that the prognosticaters get any smarter, but they start hearing things from execs on the various teams about who they like, and even if they think Player X sucks, suddenly he gets moved into the appropriate draft slot (for those with War Room access, think of how they treated LaDanian Tomlinson until they caught wind of San Diego's interest in the runner).

And then if Draft Pundit B thinks Draft Pundit A is onto something, he'll steal the info.

Kiper has a good quality, which is that he is something of a "talent optimist" and often sniffs out early a player's rising value. But it's something of a double edged sword, in that some of the people he touts aren't as good as he makes them out to be.

To be honest though, I think people object to Kiper for reasons of style: his pompadour is too big, his teeth too white, too loud, he comes off as a bit of a salesman (which he used to be). I tend to like him because I think he is a better writer than most of them. Unlike many pundits, he can generate a sound bite and turn a phrase.

ghst187

Reaction score
shaketiller said:

He's kidding right? Greenway is way overrated and i don't think we've even interviewed him. Ernie Sims is a few pounds from having to move to safety. Great player, but way to light to play in a 3-4 defense without serious weight gaining.
And does Kiper really think we'll use a first round pick on a safety? I don't see it because A) BP is unlikely to start a rookie at FS B) use another first round pick on the secondary?!? are you kidding me? C) there are a ton of good, even starting quality S's to be had in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, probably even the 4th.