Kiper's latest Mock Draft: Chad Jackson

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
Plenty of depth at tight end position

By Mel Kiper Jr.
Special to ESPN Insider

The most intriguing position, by far, in this year's NFL draft is tight end. There is big-time talent at the top with Maryland's Vernon Davis, who had great workouts at the combine and should be the first tight end taken off the board.
I project that three tight ends will go in the first round, but teams will be able to get a quality tight end well into the second day of the draft, with players like: Leonard Pope, Georgia; Joe Klopfenstein, Colorado; Anthony Fasano, Notre Dame; Tim Day, Oregon; Tony Scheffler, Western Michigan; and Wisconsin's Owen Daniels, who could be used as an H-back in the NFL, similar to Chris Cooley of the Washington Commanders.

*First-Round Projections
1. Houston Reggie Bush, RB* USC
2. New Orleans Matt Leinart, QB USC
3. Tennessee Vince Young, QB* Texas
4. N.Y. Jets D'Brickashaw Ferguson, T Virginia
5. Green Bay Mario Williams, DE* NC State
6. San Francisco A.J. Hawk, LB Ohio St.
7. Oakland Jay Cutler, QB Vanderbilt
8. Buffalo Haloti Ngata, DT* Oregon
9. Detroit Michael Huff, DB Texas
10. Arizona LenDale White, RB* USC
11. St. Louis Vernon Davis, TE* Maryland
12. Cleveland Tamba Hali, DE Penn St.
13. Baltimore Brodrick Bunkley, DT Florida St.
14. Philadelphia Ernie Sims, LB* Florida St.
15. Atlanta Johnathan Joseph, CB* South Carolina
16. Miami Winston Justice, T* USC
17. Minnesota DeAngelo Williams, RB Memphis
18. Dallas Chad Jackson, WR* Florida
19. San Diego Santonio Holmes, WR* Ohio St.
20. Kansas City Tye Hill, CB Clemson
21. New England Ashton Youboty, CB* Ohio St.
22. Denver (from WSH) Sinorice Moss, WR Miami
23. Tampa Bay Chad Greenway, LB Iowa
24. Cincinnati Jimmy Williams, CB Virginia Tech
25. N.Y. Giants Kelly Jennings, CB Miami
26. Chicago Dominique Byrd, TE USC
27. Carolina Marcedes Lewis, TE UCLA
28. Jacksonville DeMeco Ryans, LB Alabama
29. Denver Kamerion Wimbley, DE Florida St.
30. Indianapolis Laurence Maroney, RB* Minnesota
31. Pittsburgh Mathias Kiwanuka, DE Boston College
32. Seattle Bobby Carpenter, LB Ohio St.

* denotes underclassman

pjt

Reaction score
He needs to switch the Seahawks and Steelers pick.

cjr126

Benched
Reaction score
couple of real nice looking players. where do the scouts rank either of these 2 guys?

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
I Doubt Carpenter pass us, Maybe Jerry trades down 4 or 5 spots then takes him.

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
thats descent, I was just looking at Footballsfuture latest mock, it has the cowboys taking Jimmy Williams at 18 the Ryan O Callahan in the second. But strangly had Many Lawson going at 11 and Bobby Carpenter in the mid 2nd round,

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
I dont like that pick. I don't think WR is a position we have to address high in this year's draft. WR can be picked and play effectively in thier first year, so I think maybe we go after a quailty one next year. We need more help on the OL and LB's. That is where I would spend my first 2-3 picks. Unless we make a big splash in FA for those needs. Then I would DL, esp NT with my first pick. I would still Love for us to draft Marcus Mcneil,, prob in the second. I would bet, we trade down, pick up another 3 and concentrate on WR with that extra pick. But no way do I go WR at 18.

neosapien23

Reaction score
I would love Chad Jackson with the 18th pick. He has everything you could want: Size, speed, strength, and hands. Those who argue that he wasn't dominant in college forget one thing and that is Chris Leak was his quarterback. The guy has impeccable character, and he has talent. If Dallas lets him get away for the sake of a NT, we will regret that move for the next three to four years. Scew this win now mentality, Dallas needs to take the BPA.

rw54

Reaction score
I would like this pick. When I have watched him he kind of reminds me of Eric Moulds. He could start opposite of Key and let Glenn be the third receiver. I doubt that it happens however.

2much2soon

Reaction score
cowheel said:
The Cowboys are NOT drafting a receiver in the 1st round.
Book It.

Not while Parcells has any say in things.

And whats with Kiper picking Mathias Kiwanuka to go to Pittsburgh? He's light for a 3-4 end, so has their been talk of them taking him and converting him to LB? Or is Kiper just slotting guys to where he thinks they should be drafted at, regardless of what the team drafting at that position needs?

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
When I look at the top teams in the NFL and how we used to be in the 90's, we had a 3 players on offense that drove us.

Aikman, Irvin and Smith.

In the 70's, it was Staubach, Dorsett and Pearson.

In the 2000's..?

Sorry..I see a possible in Jujo but you'd have to get way out on a limb to say he's Dorsett or Smith.

I'll wish that Bledsoe is Aikman reborn but he'd have to prove it this coming season and nobody convinces me that either Key or Terry Glenn is Michael Irvin or Drew Pearson.

So I think if this team is going to succeed, that it will have to have a stud, young WR that is going to light up the defense to go along with the running of Jujo if healthy and Bledsoe if he can remain upright.

Our WR's are too slow and no threat. I'm sorry, but there are few top teams out there that are concerned with our WR's doing damage. Even Witten isn't drawing that much double-coverage these days.

It takes three dominant players at WR/RB/QB on offense to win in the NFL consistantly.

We need a primary WR with game breaking skills. Until we get one and stop playing WR by committee with guys like we have..it's not going to get us to the SB.

I'd prefer to draft a guy like Jackson and start him and stay with him and let Glenn and Key play the 2nd and 3rd WR roles along with Witten at TE. Let Bledsoe do with him what he did with Terry Glenn his rookie year in NE.

The changing of the guard is coming next year for certain with either Key not being resigned or a FA being brought in.

I'd much rather draft a replacement now and do as was done with Glover this year, let the vet have his last year and let him show the younger guys how to play.

Key can't be paid as the #1 WR when he isn't putting up #1 WR numbers..we need somebody for now and beyond.

I just don't see how we can afford to pass at #18 on a guy like Jackson...a big need position IMO.

Parcellswaterboy

Reaction score
neosapien23 said:
I would love Chad Jackson with the 18th pick. He has everything you could want: Size, speed, strength, and hands. Those who argue that he wasn't dominant in college forget one thing and that is Chris Leak was his quarterback. The guy has impeccable character, and he has talent. If Dallas lets him get away for the sake of a NT, we will regret that move for the next three to four years. Scew this win now mentality, Dallas needs to take the BPA.

Yeah and Chris Leak is chopped liver. :rolleyes:

Bledsoe4MVP

Benched
Reaction score
I really don't see this team taking a receiver in the first round, especially given the big names that are or will become availble in free agency. Having a QB like Bledsoe would be a great benefit to a young receiver at least in terms of development, but I would rather sign a veteran that has at least in been in the league a few years. We will definitely need to get younger at the position at some point, so maybe drafting one in the later rounds to develop might not be a bad idea. Also I'm still on the Crayton bandwagon and feel he could develop into a great #2 guy with Bledsoe's arm leading the way.

Hailmary

Reaction score
1. We SHOULD take a WR high in this draft, but we won't (sigh....).

2. W/ the lack of WR talent in the first round this year, I wouldn't be at all surprised if some team reaches big time long before we even get a chance to draft him.

3. If we don't take either Chad or Santonio in the first, we HAVE TO take one in the first day. Our O needs to catch up (talent and age-wise) to the D. It's true that Defense wins championships, but no matter how good the D is, it becomes less effective when the O can't sustain a drive forcing the D to constantly be on the field.

Balance people.

Just my $.02.

Hailmary

Reaction score
Bledsoe4MVP said:
I really don't see this team taking a receiver in the first round, especially given the big names that are or will become availble in free agency. Having a QB like Bledsoe would be a great benefit to a young receiver at least in terms of development, but I would rather sign a veteran that has at least in been in the league a few years. We will definitely need to get younger at the position at some point, so maybe drafting one in the later rounds to develop might not be a bad idea. Also I'm still on the Crayton bandwagon and feel he could develop into a great #2 guy with Bledsoe's arm leading the way.

I would love such a scenario, but who is available that is good and have only been in the league a few years. All the names currently available that's even worth mentioning are TO, Bruce, and Moulds. TO still has a lot to offer, but comes w/ a ton of baggage. Moulds and Bruce are ancient by today's NFL standards. Randle-El? I don't see him coming to Dallas. Kevin Curtis is a RFA and require compensation. Might as well use that comp in the draft.

If Chad Jackson's there for us when we pick, we should jump at the chance. He has the physical tools to eventually be a #1.

The only name that fits your description that may be available is Charles Rogers. I'm probably in the minority, but I still think he's talented enough and young enough to reach his potential.