Kiper's latest Mock Draft: Chad Jackson

RealCowboyfan

Championship
Reaction score
Jimmy Williams @ 24? I think that the Cowboys could draft him to be on the other side of Terrence Newman...

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
parcellswaterboy said:
Key can't be paid as the #1 WR when he isn't putting up #1 WR numbers.
Key isn't paid #1 money. In fact, he is probably underpaid.

ravidubey

Reaction score
Parcells took Ingram in 1987 and Glenn in 1996 (though he had no choice on the second one). Glenn was the more successful by far, though Ingram has a Superbowl ring.

Bledsoe4MVP

Benched
Reaction score
Hailmary said:
I would love such a scenario, but who is available that is good and have only been in the league a few years. All the names currently available that's even worth mentioning are TO, Bruce, and Moulds. TO still has a lot to offer, but comes w/ a ton of baggage. Moulds and Bruce are ancient by today's NFL standards. Randle-El? I don't see him coming to Dallas. Kevin Curtis is a RFA and require compensation. Might as well use that comp in the draft.

If Chad Jackson's there for us when we pick, we should jump at the chance. He has the physical tools to eventually be a #1.

The only name that fits your description that may be available is Charles Rogers. I'm probably in the minority, but I still think he's talented enough and young enough to reach his potential.

David Givens is a player that really intrigues me, I still think he will end up staying with New England though.

As far as the Chad Jackson/Santonio Holmes scenario, I honestly wouldn't know which one to take if we were going to draft a WR at the 18 spot.

Derinyar

Reaction score
MsCowboy said:
I dont like that pick. I don't think WR is a position we have to address high in this year's draft. WR can be picked and play effectively in thier first year, so I think maybe we go after a quailty one next year. We need more help on the OL and LB's. That is where I would spend my first 2-3 picks. Unless we make a big splash in FA for those needs. Then I would DL, esp NT with my first pick. I would still Love for us to draft Marcus Mcneil,, prob in the second. I would bet, we trade down, pick up another 3 and concentrate on WR with that extra pick. But no way do I go WR at 18.
WR's rarely play particularly well in their first season. The vast majority of them take a year or two to round into form. There have been exceptions recently, but even if you look at most of the high 1st round picks most of them have taken time. If you were talking RB, I'd agree it could wait. Talking WR you need to draft one now and get them into the offense if you want to fix the position though the draft. If not realize your going to have to over pay on the FA market when you need one for that year then.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
Derinyar said:
WR's rarely play particularly well in their first season. The vast majority of them take a year or two to round into form. There have been exceptions recently, but even if you look at most of the high 1st round picks most of them have taken time. If you were talking RB, I'd agree it could wait. Talking WR you need to draft one now and get them into the offense if you want to fix the position though the draft. If not realize your going to have to over pay on the FA market when you need one for that year then.

Excellent point...

While I might go Defense to fix any holes left...You bring up a very good point...but it is that way with most offensive position except RB... and by the time this Defense is ready to rock we may no longer have any fire power on offense left...

PacoReloaded

Reaction score
parcells316 said:
18. Dallas Chad Jackson, WR* Florida
a_jones_412.jpg

A picture is worth a thousand words when it comes to this selection.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
Key isn't paid #1 money. In fact, he is probably underpaid.
But the problem is that Key is due a new deal next year as I recall.

And he's being paid overall with his bonus to sign and such as if he was a #1 WR for us. At least 2 years ago, that was the case when he came from Tampa.

So I'm going to assume that after next year, we are looking at needing to let him go or resign him at top dollars to keep him.

And that would be a mistake.

I like Key, I like Glenn.

But they are not Key or Glenn in their prime.

To get to the next level as an offense, we need players at key positions with playmaking ability and able to change games. Key and Glenn can't do that.

Unfortunately, in the second half of last season, the Cowboys of '05 reminded me an awful lot like the old Cowboys of '96 and '97. There were a significant number of aging vets on those old Cowboy teams and they slowed in '96 with injuries and then crashed in '97 with those same vets who couldn't get it done.

I'm concerned that to much reliance on too many aging vets for too long is going to have the same outcome if more youth isn't drafted this year to followup on last year's draft.

So I think you have to make a decision on what's best for the team now and down the road.

Which to me means, as far as WR, getting a primary WR that is young and will be with us a few years and get him involved immediately.

If we secure a top WR in this draft, along with Jujo from 2 years ago, we probably has 2 out of the 3 key incredients in place to continue with rebuilding the offense later on.

What we'll lack is the QB and that is the next position I wish Jerry Jones and Parcells would address now, as well. Is it possible we could take one of these young QB's that is going to be available in the 2 or 3 rds. and develop him rather than trying to work with retread baseballers and over the hill FA's..?

I'd wish for it, but not realistically expect it...not while Bledsoe and Henson are still here. But it's pretty clear that this year might be the year we could afford to do it.

If the CBA does get settled, it would seem to me that with the $ 25mil+ cap we supposedly might have available this year, most of our immediate improvement needs could be met to fix our problems..

..and the draft could be then used to build for the future, with positions like OL, WR Lber and QB.

It would give us a much better value in draft selections if we did that than if we waited until next year or the year after BP leaves when the costs will be higher to acquire them and the only way we will draft good replacements will to be by losing big again.

That means we have to be doing 5-11 seasons or worst. According to what I read here, that's not going to happen..

so..

..supposedly, if BP does make us a SB contender this year and next..then we aren't going to be drafting very high next year or the following year and that's going to hamper the rebuilding process even more, if we are picking 30+ or higher in the next two years.

That clearly makes me think this year is the year to pull the trigger on drafting for the future while we have the chance.

But will we..?

We'll see.

parcellswaterboy