Kiper's latest mock has Safety Landry going to Washington

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1459966 said:
just replace their whole roster :)

They can't. They only have a few picks this year. They really should drop down with that 6 and pick up some more picks. In fact they should drop down a couple of times if they can find someone to play with them.

Of course not picking those blue chip players and throwing away picks is why they're in this position. Sux to be Washington these days. Wonder if Joe Gibbs really knew what he was in for and if the money is worth tarnishing his rep some.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
jobberone;1460015 said:
Wonder if Joe Gibbs really knew what he was in for and if the money is worth tarnishing his rep some.

disregarding the draft is the Joe Gibbs way

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1460051 said:
disregarding the draft is the Joe Gibbs way

It seems Gibbs has been slow to learn the new NFL and how to acquire and keep talent.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
jobberone;1460140 said:
It seems Gibbs has been slow to learn the new NFL and how to acquire and keep talent.

he probably feels sorry that he went to a team who's Defensive coordinator calls the shots in who is added to the defense

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
jobberone;1460140 said:

Haven't the Skins been doing this even before Gibbs came back? How long has it been since they started not liking draft picks and trading them away all the time?

:confused:

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1460145 said:
he probably feels sorry that he went to a team who's Defensive coordinator calls the shots in who is added to the defense

I didn't know that. It appears a non-football guy has been calling the shots for awhile there. I thought Gibbs would tidy things up.

5Stars;1460153 said:
Haven't the Skins been doing this even before Gibbs came back? How long has it been since they started not liking draft picks and trading them away all the time?

You're right. What was I thinking. They do have 4 or 5 this year.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
jobberone;1460223 said:
I didn't know that. It appears a non-football guy has been calling the shots for awhile there. I thought Gibbs would tidy things up.

You're right. What was I thinking. They do have 4 or 5 this year.

:laugh2:

Reaction score
You would think Washington is smart enough to draft a guy like Gaines Adams because they have ZERO pass rush..

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80;1460278 said:
You would think Washington is smart enough to draft a guy like Gaines Adams because they have ZERO pass rush..

Well it's hard to mess up the number six pick but if it can be done old Danny boy will do it. Adams makes way too much sense. Picking him would have no drauma so its out.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ThreeSportStar80;1460278 said:
They did get 3 of 19 against us.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
big dog cowboy;1460350 said:
They did get 3 of 19 against us.

1/6th of their sacks came against us. Well I guess we stoke their fires.

Dang, that sux to hear.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jobberone;1460377 said:
1/6th of their sacks came against us. Well I guess we stoke their fires.

Dang, that sux to hear.
Yeah but it did take two games. :rolleyes:

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
big dog cowboy;1460394 said:
Yeah but it did take two games. :rolleyes:

Well that cannot be allowed any further.By official degree we shall not give up more than...... Wait it was only three right. Ok that's actually not too bad. If Washington would do their job then we wouldn't give up such a high ratio of sacks to them. I change my degree to Washington will field a real defense this year so they may increase their sack totals thereby making us look better.

I may amend that later.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
PFT seems to think that they possibly might move up to #2. \

How this could happen is a mystery as they have little to no assets to do it unless they trade Portis, their 1st next year, etc.

Phrozen Phil

Reaction score
5Stars;1460153 said:

If you recall, the Skins got Champ Bailey in 1999,used two first rounders in 2000 to picked Arrington and Samuels and in 2001, took Rod Gardner, despite some of the coaching staff wanting Santana Moss.A good look at the drafts between 98 and 2002 reveals a significant number of misses in the draft. One of the few teams to draft worse was the Dallas Cowboys in 2001. That's the year we lead off with Quincy Carter and Tony Dixon in round two. The Commanders had few gems in later rounds. Ladell Betts in round two and Rock Cartwright in round seven are the only two players left from the 2002 draft. Roy Willams from round one and Andre Gurode from round two are the only two left from the Cowboys draft of that same year.

In 2003, the Skins only had three draft picks and none of them are left from that year.The Boys have three left from that year and would have had four, but Al Johnson left. In 2004, the Boys got Julius, Crayton and Reeves. THe trade down revealed two busts in Rogers and Peterman. The Skins got Taylor and Cooley.

In 2005, the Skins got Carlos Rogers and traded up for Jason Campbell. THe Cowboys still have six of the eight players they drafted from that year on the roster.

My belief is this: You need to get at least two to three contributors a year from the draft to really build a team. When the Cowboys got cute, they didn't benefit from the process. When they stuck to a disciplined draft strategy, they got better as a team. (See 2005 and 2006) When I say contributor, it does not necessarily mean a starter, but at least someone who will play half the games at their designated position, including special teams. The Commanders have abandoned a draft strategy with the idea that they could find capable vets, but they've overpaid and given away picks. How they didn't benefit from the deal they made in 1999 is one of most baffling questions and it points to incredible mismanagement of the draft by front office. Hopefully Jones has learned his lesson and will allow Ireland to flesh out the draft board. I'm not sure that Commanders management has figured it out yet.