Kirk Cousins' advice to Dak: Franchise tag can be your friend

Wood

Reaction score
If he really thinks he's an elite player, he should welcome playing on the franchise tag, he'll get paid way more if he shows up this year.

I think Dak knows last years stats were sham and artificially inflated. He also knows by now stats by themselves don't convince Jones. But he asked for the moon anyway. He also knows he wont be happy with their contract offer so really his only option is to sign tag and hope he lead team deep into playoffs - that will get him paid faster than any stat.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I agree but no question the stakes are raised but comes with the territory. Something he going to see real quick is the level of expectation will be 10x higher from what they were prior to his contract/new salary. That's the pressure that comes with it.

Being the starter for the Dallas Cowboys is pressure enough. I don't think Dak gets a pass now if he under performs. With a big contract extension, the same pressure will exist. The Cowboy Franchise is like the Yankees/Lakers they are expected to contend every season, when they don't their will be immense criticism coming at them nationally. Dak is the QB and he will take on the most, next will be the Jones Family, followed by their HC.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
With the salary cap likely to go down Dak and his agent made a mistake by holding out for more.

They need to adjust to the world we are now living in.
They haven't made any mistake yet. The Cowboys' offer has only gone up.

Proof

Reaction score
he wants the money up front because like every player, he wants the guaranteed $$, not because he knows he might be able to deliver. I am pretty sure he has not even considered not being able to deliver.

for real, or he’d have signed an extension last year instead of playing for like 1.5 mil

Proof

Reaction score
Cowboys wont use tag again next year. Thats where Dalton comes in. Think I read the tag would go up to 45m for next year

Dalton is signed for one year. Unless you’re suggesting they’d tag him instead lmao

Proof

Reaction score
What I worry about Dak if he's playing on the franchise tag that he will be playing careful, not to risk any injury. Last season he looked very hesitant running the football, more so then what we seen in the prior years. He is a dual threat QB and needs to use his legs if opportunity presents itself.

Valid concern I believe. I don’t know that he was making “business decisions” but he certainly wasn’t running nearly as often as he has, or could have.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Valid concern I believe. I don’t know that he was making “business decisions” but he certainly wasn’t running nearly as often as he has, or could have.

It's certainly something to watch.

fredp22

Reaction score
Dalton is signed for one year. Unless you’re suggesting they’d tag him instead lmao
no but if they dont sign Dak instead of franchising him again (it'll be to expensive) they will resign Dalton and to longer than 1 year

Last edited:

Flamma

Reaction score
They are going to sign him buddy. This all to do over nothing.

Honestly, this is all wasted talk. Neither Jerry or Dak are going to let this roll into the season.

I agree. The exclusive tag should tell everyone that. The Cowboys do not plan on letting him play under that cap hit. It's a placeholder so that only they can talk to him and make a deal. The only wrinkle I can think of that might cause a problem is the 2021 cap adjustment. This is not a good year to be giving anyone a huge extension.

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
As some would say around here..

That's ancient history.

Time for a fact check.

I have no time right now.

I am losing my business these days and the refrigerator is getting less and less full.

Later. Got some reality to deal with.

Yikes.
Yet you are the one who brought this up by suggesting Walter Payton did it hahahahaha. You need to look this up not me. But since you are sooooo busy, here it is for you.

With Emmitt Smith, the Cowboys get a back who has won the National Football Conference rushing record three straight years in a row (awarded in 1992, 1993, and 1994), the only league-leading running back who played for a Super Bowl championship team at the time he won his rushing titles, and the NFL’s 1993-94 Most Valuable Player.
https://www.encyclopedia.com/people/sports-and-games/sports-biographies/emmitt-smith

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Yet you are the one who brought this up by suggesting Walter Payton did it hahahahaha. You need to look this up not me. But since you are sooooo busy, here it is for you.

With Emmitt Smith, the Cowboys get a back who has won the National Football Conference rushing record three straight years in a row (awarded in 1992, 1993, and 1994), the only league-leading running back who played for a Super Bowl championship team at the time he won his rushing titles, and the NFL’s 1993-94 Most Valuable Player.
https://www.encyclopedia.com/people/sports-and-games/sports-biographies/emmitt-smith
Hey..

This has been an axiom in pro ball for years.

I did not invent the statement.

If you want bulletproof quotes, go check the EsPN website.

They can be wrong daily.

Sure, Emmitt blah blah blah.

No problem. But he has been by far the exception to the rule. So wasn't that whole team.

So stop with the fingerwagging.

It makes you look like an old school teacher.

Cmac

Reaction score
Everybody violating the unwritten, but known rule.....stay out of other's pockets.