Kiwi in 3-4?

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Mathias Kiwanuka
DE, Boston College
War Room analysis

Strengths: Is tall with a huge wingspan and makes his presence felt on the field. Has a good first step with the speed to get to the edge on most offensive tackles. Gets his hands up in pass defense and bats down passes. Plays hard and shows a closing burst. Can break down and make plays in the backfield or in pursuit in the running game. Has a variety of pass rush moves. Always faces double-teams but keeps coming every play.

Weaknesses: Must add bulk and get stronger. Lacks leverage and doesn't anchor well at the point of attack. Needs to improve his bull rush. Must learn how to use his hands to disengage offensive tackles. Lacks intensity and doesn't play with a mean streak.

Bottom line: Kiwanuka, who could be the top defensive end in the draft, will be in the spotlight all season. He must show greater strength, leverage and intensity to stand up to the scrutiny.

Kiwi really struggling tonight. Scouting knock was he was not strong enough last year. And he stayed in school. For his height local rumour is he's struggled to keep 260 on his frame. Add on a MCL knee and this kid could drop draft day.

I don't see him an add here with Spears, Canty 290-300 size 3-4 DE's but some team may get value when he drops. Second to third rounder.....

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
isn't he 6'7"? he's gonna need to add weight to find a place in the 3-4, which would be most likely DE

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Bookend him with Canty and move Spears inside to DT next to Glover and that is a front line no one could stop.

Trip

Reaction score
I like that receiver for Vtech, the one that scored on the reverse.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Hos

This is 3-4, Glover is old and undersized. Kiwi really has no chance of being a Cowboy. Look at NT - Ngata - there's the DLine like beef we need.

I have talked to some on the know at BC, Kiwi has/had strength issues and with knee may drop in draft - Big
upside for a 4-3 d with patience.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Nors said:
Hos

This is 3-4, Glover is old and undersized. Kiwi really has no chance of being a Cowboy. Look at NT - Ngata - there's the DLine like beef we need.

I have talked to some on the know at BC, Kiwi has/had strength issues and with knee may drop in draft - Big
upside for a 4-3 d with patience.
I momentarily forgot your agenda Wilma. Heaven forbid we get good personnel and try to play them.

My bad.

Bizwah

Reaction score
Kiwi is certainly athletic.

Is he athletic enough to be a 3-4 OLB?

Good question.

At 6-7, he'd probably be a little too stiff. But if he could have that fluid COD, then, WOW! What a wingspan!

I don't think he'd have good enough size to be a 3-4 end.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Sandy:

Wanna talk football? or trade Barb's? He didn't declare for draft? Why - strength issues. Read his bio - strength issues. See his play and knee - issues.

We drafted 3-4 players, Ware, Spears, Canty. Kiwi is very OVERATED. Wilm not be a Cowboy! He'd fit great in New Orleans!

3-4 DE's that weigh 255 don't cut it.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Weaknesses: Must add bulk and get stronger. Lacks leverage and doesn't anchor well at the point of attack. Needs to improve his bull rush. Must learn how to use his hands to disengage offensive tackles. Lacks intensity and doesn't play with a mean streak.

Bottom line: Kiwanuka, who could be the top defensive end in the draft, will be in the spotlight all season. He must show greater strength, leverage and intensity to stand up to the scrutiny.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Nors said:
Sandy:

Wanna talk football? or trade Barb's? He didn't declare for draft? Why - strength issues. Read his bio - strength issues. See his play and knee - issues.

We drafted 3-4 players, Ware, Spears, Canty. Kiwi is very OVERATED. Wilm not be a Cowboy! He'd fit great in New Orleans!

3-4 DE's that weigh 255 don't cut it.
Since you don't talk football, can I choose trading Barbs?

You see someone mention a 4 man front and decide to remind people of something no one gives a crap about.

3 man front, 4 man front, I don't give a flying frick which one we run as long as they are good and Kiwi is good. If that upsets you grab your pacifier, because I just really don't care.

2much2soon

Reaction score
Bizwah said:
Kiwi is certainly athletic.

Is he athletic enough to be a 3-4 OLB?

Good question.

At 6-7, he'd probably be a little too stiff. But if he could have that fluid COD, then, WOW! What a wingspan!

I don't think he'd have good enough size to be a 3-4 end.

I was thinking LB, too, Ted Hendricks when I heard the height/weight, although I don't think Hendricks was that heavy.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
2much2soon said:
I was thinking LB, too, Ted Hendricks when I heard the height/weight, although I don't think Hendricks was that heavy.

As a 3-4 OLB opposite Ware makes more sense.Not sure he could handle coverage tho -

He'd never handle the pounding as a 3-4 DE.....

lkelly

Reaction score
I think Kiwi lost himself some money coming back for his senior year. The knee injury from that cheap shot UVA Tackle isn't going to help. He's playing with a "loose knee" now and isn't nearly as dominating. People will be looking at the knee closely at the combine.

I think he could have been a top 10 or 15 pick last year. Now, he may drop because of the knee and less production. Plus he misses a year of NFL salary.

Not sure his insurance policy cashes in either. I expect it would take a season ending injury to collect on that.

Dallas better draft some offensive talent next year. Their inevitable season swoon into 14-17 point games each year is getting old.