Kliff Kingsbury resigned from USC as OC

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well I should say that's the rumor, it's not a fact. Jay Glazer is reporting that he apparently interviewed with some NFL teams which would likely mean he had officially resigned from USC.

USC had blocked him from interviewing for NFL head coaching positions.

If I were the Cowboys, if it shook out that he couldn't find any HC opportunities in the NFL, he'd be a guy I'd look long and hard at as a potential OC here. Regardless of what happens the remainder of this season, I think a change at OC needs to happen.

I read that USC gave him permission to talk to the Cardinals, and maybe the Jets.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Tech could put up the points, they just couldn't stop the points being put on them. Maybe there was a time when they had a good defence but I can't remember it. Of course I've been wrong before.

What does it say about a head coach who cannot even put together a decent defense? Is it because he just doesn't value defense. Or is it because he just couldn't recruit defensive talent? Does he even know anything about defense? Is he just going to leave everything up to his defensive coordinator?

CowboyWay

If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State
Reaction score
Tech hasn't played Defense in 30 years.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/07/report-jets-interview-kliff-kingsbury/
eport: Jets interview Kliff Kingsbury
Posted by Josh Alper on January 7, 2019, 4:53 PM EST
GettyImages-933277116-e1546897991950.jpg

Getty Images

Monday afternoon brought a report that Kliff Kingsbury would be interviewing for NFL teams after initially being blocked from such meetings by USC and it wasn’t long before we had word of his first interview.

DandyTom64

Reaction score
What does it say about a head coach who cannot even put together a decent defense? Is it because he just doesn't value defense. Or is it because he just couldn't recruit defensive talent? Does he even know anything about defense? Is he just going to leave everything up to his defensive coordinator?
I sometimes thought that Tech didn't even care about their defense, like the university was telling them they can have one or the other but not both. Don't have the money. Must have used all that money adding on to the stadium. And paying off Leach.

gmoney112

Reaction score
I'm a Tech alum. Wreck 'em you softies.

First of all, Kliff got all the ladies.

Secondly, he's going to be in demand, the guy can develop QBs. Manziel, check. And a lot of people forget Mahomes went to a school surrounded by dirt and windmills in Lubbock, where he was taught by Kliff. He had Mayfield for a bit too, although that was a weird relationship, I think that may have been an executive move on Kliff's part, no one's perfect. He was also the QB coach for Case Keenum when he was setting NCAA records. Ha.

Thirdly, McVay with the Rams made a play for him when he left TTU. That's a pretty good place to end up for a coach coming up, so we'd have to one up whatever they offered him Here's the thing, McVay and the Rams don't even have an Offensive Coordinator right now, so what do people think he was offered? It had to be OC, if not that then maybe offensive consultant, or they'd promote the guy they made QB coach in 2018 to OC and Kliff takes that position. That guy was pretty green though and McVay likes him, doubt he'd get demoted, who knows.

That's pretty interesting though. Now he's getting some HC interviews, which he's probably going to take if he gets an offer, let's be real. I think Dallas would be a great spot for him professionally, and hopefully we keep Richard's, Kliff would be in the limelight with an already stocked cabinet and be able to learn some new age pass defense with Richard's. Or at least be a good judge of defensive talent, both coaching and personnel. And maybe actually win something.

If he succeeded in Dallas, he'd probably go anywhere he wanted and not have to deal a few years with a defunct NYJ club or a question mark in Arizona. I mean, a couple years as a HC in those places, getting let go, might move him backwards to OC for a bit in the league. That's my argument for us anyway ha ha.

I haven't heard anything about Jerry being interested, but he should be. I hope he is, he's a very talented young coach and I can't believe I'm going to say this, would compliment Garrett's conservative style, to each others benefit. Jerry also cannot simply ignore the possibilities he can improve Dak, who is in consideration of being your young franchise QB. That is a heavy ROI by itself.

I don't think we'll hear anything about Dallas until playoffs are over, hopefully he isnt hired anywhere. If he really did leave USC, he's going somewhere. If not a HC, then somewhere on offense. It might as well be us. Jerry needs to be working the double secret backchannels. I'm not confident at all, but if he dropped USC then something's up.

Sydla

Reaction score
I read that USC gave him permission to talk to the Cardinals, and maybe the Jets.

They probably realized they were backed into a corner here. He probably told them he was interviewing and they had little choice but to let him.

cowboyec

Reaction score
if he does resign from usc its for a HC gig.
if he doesn't...he's staying put.
sounds like reports of his resignation might have been premature.
wouldn't surprise me if he gets a NFL HC spot...league is bending now in that direction.

coogrfan

Reaction score
Lane Kiffin was once the king of failing upwards. Looks like their might be a pretender to that throne...