LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Article Launched: 01/05/2006 01:00:00 AM
broncos notes
Losing Kubiak looks like a lock
By Mike Klis
Denver Post Staff Writer

The Broncos are confident, if that's the right word, they will need a new offensive coordinator once their season ends.

Confident they will lose Gary Kubiak is one way to put it. Resigned is another.

"Probably a good chance," Broncos coach Mike Shanahan said. "Gary should have a number of opportunities."

Gary Kubiak, Shanahan's right-hand man since they took control of the Broncos' offense in 1995, is among the top candidates for head coaching vacancies with the Houston Texans and Detroit Lions.

The St. Louis Rams and Kansas City Chiefs also have expressed interest in Kubiak, but Houston and Detroit are the most serious. The Rams likely will interview Kubiak once the Broncos' season ends. The Texans will fly in a contingent that includes owner Bob McNair and former Broncos coach Dan Reeves, now a Houston consultant, to meet with Kubiak on Friday. Detroit president Matt Millen also is expected to interview Kubiak in Denver, perhaps Saturday.

The Texans also will give strong consideration to University of Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz - a hot candidate in part because he, like Miami's Nick Saban, was an assistant under Bill Belichick in Cleveland in the early 1990s.

The Texans want to build their offense around talented but mistake-prone quarterback David Carr and, most likely, USC running back Reggie Bush, the probable No. 1 pick in the draft. Kubiak's work with Broncos quarterback Jake Plummer, who cut down his interceptions from 20 to seven this season, and the team's running back committee, makes him a logical choice.

How much would the Broncos miss Kubiak? Perhaps more than fans might think. The perception has been that Shanahan is "The Mastermind" behind the Broncos' prolific offense. Shanahan said Wednesday he gets too much credit.

"Gary calls the plays," Shana- han said. "Gary has run every offensive meeting since I've been here. Being a (former) quarterback, he's used to making quick decisions."

Then again, there may be no such thing as an irreplaceable NFL assistant. No offensive coordinator was credited for having a bigger

impact in recent years than New England's Charlie Weis. Yet, after Weis left to become Notre Dame's head coach this season, the Patriots finished seventh in total offense, just as they did in 2004, and again made the playoffs by repeating as AFC East champs.

OR

Bring in Kubiak for one year under BP and let him be Head Coach next year. IMO I think that could work.

DeaconBlues

M'Kevon
Reaction score
YoMick said:
Article Launched: 01/05/2006 01:00:00 AM
OR

Bring in Kubiak for one year under BP and let him be Head Coach next year. IMO I think that could work.[/b][/color]
[/size]

I don't think that's possible. Kubiak is an assistant head coach, and Denver can block lateral moves. It's either move to a head coach position or stay.

conner01

Reaction score
i've wanted him for a long time. but i don't think now is the time to start all over again. we are close to being a good team. 9 wins is not that shabby, and with a little help form the fg kickers we could have easily made the playoffs.if bill leaves he would be on the list but he runs a totally differenr offense and defense and that means starting all over again. not sure this teams needs a new start more than someone to continue the direction we are going

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
conner01 said:
i've wanted him for a long time. but i don't think now is the time to start all over again. we are close to being a good team. 9 wins is not that shabby, and with a little help form the fg kickers we could have easily made the playoffs.if bill leaves he would be on the list but he runs a totally differenr offense and defense and that means starting all over again. not sure this teams needs a new start more than someone to continue the direction we are going

starting all over again is no big deal... offense was not good anyways

would you not want that O-line and the fact that EVERY running back runs for over a 1,000 yards EVERY YEAR, EVERY RUNNER... I say start over(we have nothing anyway) and do it right this time....

Compacity

Benched
Reaction score
Another conservative but good at getting the running game going type coach... we need to take a more aggressive approach...

Norv Turner Offensive Cordinator
Jimmy Johnson Head Coach
Dave Wanstead/or Dave Campo as Defensive Cordinator..

We need to move back to the 4-3 defense... Back to the Dooms Day not the Steel Curtain...We are the Cowboys not Steelers...

Greg Ellis probably would be back if we switch back to the 4-3...

Thoughtz?

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
YoMick said:
starting all over again is no big deal... offense was not good anyways

would you not want that O-line and the fact that EVERY running back runs for over a 1,000 yards EVERY YEAR, EVERY RUNNER... I say start over(we have nothing anyway) and do it right this time....

Man, thats a real good argument. At this point I'm so down on BP that I would take this guy in a heartbeat.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hiero said:
no thanks. we dont need flavor of teh week.
Kubiak is not a flavor of the week coach. The guy has been on the head coaching radar for several years. Apparently the only reason he's not one now is because he didn't want to be. With so many openings, he probably thinks now is as good a time as any.

Kubiak is a good OC. Any team getting him would be getting a good coach, tho I'm not sure about his defensive background, even tho I know he's a former player. Lber maybe?

As for bringing him in. Well as far as I know, we still have a HC.

Hiero

Reaction score
YoMick said:
by no means is he "flavor of the week" - wanted him for a long time... get 'er done Jerry!
I see. I must admit im not really a fan. Plus we'd have to draft an entire new offensive line except Al J to run the broncos scheme. Im just not a fan ofteh denver offense except their running game, which can't be easily duplicated here with our OL.

KingTuna

Reaction score
IF we don't have Parcells then we need to sign Mike Martz!!!

Air Bledsoe 2006!!

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Hiero said:
no thanks. we dont need flavor of teh week.

I look at Kubiak this way.

He was on our short list when we hired Chan Gailey. Yes, that was that long ago.

Why is it he hasn't gotten nearly as many feelers since then?

The Broncos offense has a hot year and he gets credit for helping Plummer, but this is the same person who has been there for the past six years.

Flavor of the week is right. It is just that it once was "in", went "out" and is now back "in". But why did it go "out" in the first place is my question.

Alexander

Reaction score
KingTuna said:
IF we don't have Parcells then we need to sign Mike Martz!!!

Air Bledsoe 2006!!

That is an utterly idiotic thought. Martz as a coordinator is great. As a head coach, he makes the type of game decisions that got Campo drummed out of Dallas.

conner01

Reaction score
i was'nt talking about starting over on the offense. i was referring to the rest of the team and the system. we would be learning a whole new system.i like kubiak, but what defense will he bring? what would we dio with all the 3-4 personel we have.if bill leaves he is a fine candidate but i don't want to change the defense again.if he wants to keep the same defense, and bill decides to leave i certainly could live with him but i would not tinker with the defense and i really don't think bill is leaving

Doomsday101

Reaction score
If Bill did step down I would love to have Kubiak. He has passed on HC jobs in recent years so it is not as if he is the flavor of the week. Kubiak has been well thought of for a while

Alexander

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
He has passed on HC jobs in recent years so it is not as if he is the flavor of the week. Kubiak has been well thought of for a while

What head coaching jobs did he "turn down"?

He was well thought of years ago when the Broncos won Super Bowls. Then the interest cooled as far as I can remember.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Hiero said:
I see. I must admit im not really a fan. Plus we'd have to draft an entire new offensive line except Al J to run the broncos scheme. Im just not a fan ofteh denver offense except their running game, which can't be easily duplicated here with our OL.

My friend we have to do that anyways...

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Alexander said:

He was well thought of years ago when the Broncos won Super Bowls. Then the interest cooled as far as I can remember.
He did pass on Colorado. I don't know of any others.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Alexander said:

He's never turned down any offers as far as I know. But I know his name comes up every year as a potential HC candidate. And generally the follow-up story has been that he's not looking to make a move.

This year is the first time in a long time where he's actually expressed interest in a HC position. Houston was actually looking at him before they hired Capers.