Kudos to Bobby Carpenter

Tobal

Reaction score
I'm excited to see him after an offseason in an NFL workout regiment. I thought he was a very bright spot in a rough game to watch.

vlad

Reaction score
jbsg02;1294913 said:
I heard them say that Parcells was playing him at OLB but wanted him to eventually be an ILB. maybe he will take Bradie's place

We can only hope, but he looked pretty good where he was. Was surprised how quick and strong against the run he was.

I love Akin, I think he has been our 2nd best defensive player behind Ware. He blows blocks up like a proper 3-4 backer and plays with a fire and attitude.

It seems easier to find 3-4 outside linebackers, so if Carp can excel inside, move him in.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
I kept scratching my head last night, why was he taken out on 3rd down all of the time.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Jarv;1297962 said:
I kept scratching my head last night, why was he taken out on 3rd down all of the time.
Because he doesn't play nickel LB. He hasn't all season. That may change over the off-season, though.

cowboys4life

Reaction score
Rack;1294908 said:
Just wait till he gets Zimmerfied. Then he'll be average - at best - like the rest of our D (with the sole exception of Ware).

Hopefully we GROZ so it won't happen to him.

i know right....:laugh2:

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
It seems pretty obvious that Carpenter should have been playing sooner, as should Romo have been.

You get a little inexperience at first, but that quickly goes away, and then the young talent takes over.

Today's NFL is a young man's game.

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
to me, Bobby Carp's play was the most positive aspect of last night. Not only did he start, but he made a difference: 3 passes defensed and a tackle for loss. Not too shabby.

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
I enjoyed his coverage skills the most of all what he did last night.

Finally a LB covering a RB out of the backfield.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
WV Cowboy;1297999 said:
It seems pretty obvious that Carpenter should have been playing sooner, as should Romo have been.

You get a little inexperience at first, but that quickly goes away, and then the young talent takes over.

Today's NFL is a young man's game.
Don't forget that Carpenter looked very average or below average in every game he played this year with the exception of maybe two games.

He gets a lot of credit for the Atlanta game because he got 1.5 sacks. The problem is, it's not that unusual for LBs to get sacks against Vick. Carpenter only played 1.5 quarters in that game (he didn't even play two full quarters!) so it's hard to say it was a good game. To be honest, he really didn't look much better than Al Singleton, which is why he didn't receive much more playing time all season.

It's great that he had an incredible game in the playoffs and let's hope that's a sign of things to come, but let's not revise history.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
theogt;1298018 said:
Don't forget that Carpenter looked very average or below average in every game he played this year with the exception of maybe two games.

He gets a lot of credit for the Atlanta game because he got 1.5 sacks. The problem is, it's not that unusual for LBs to get sacks against Vick. Carpenter only played 1.5 quarters in that game (he didn't even play two full quarters!) so it's hard to say it was a good game. To be honest, he really didn't look much better than Al Singleton, which is why he didn't receive much more playing time all season.

It's great that he had an incredible game in the playoffs and let's hope that's a sign of things to come, but let's not revise history.

He didn't get a chance to play, and would not have gotten a chance to play had Ellis not gotten hurt.

Then when he does get his chance, he slowly gets better each game. Had he been given a chance earlier he may be further along than he showed last night which was pretty good.

I'm not rewriting history, I'm just questioning him not being given an opportunity earlier.

I am a WVU fan and last season Slaton and White only got to play because our 1st string QB got hurt and our 1st string RB fumbled too often.

How does that stuff happen ?

Carpenter should have played earlier and Romo should have played earlier. IMO

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
WV Cowboy;1298062 said:
He didn't get a chance to play, and would not have gotten a chance to play had Ellis not gotten hurt.

Then when he does get his chance, he slowly gets better each game. Had he been given a chance earlier he may be further along than he showed last night which was pretty good.

I'm not rewriting history, I'm just questioning him not being given an opportunity earlier.

I am a WVU fan and last season Slaton and White only got to play because our 1st string QB got hurt and our 1st string RB fumbled too often.

How does that stuff happen ?

Carpenter should have played earlier and Romo should have played earlier. IMO
I think it's a myth that "he slowly gets better each game." I didn't really see a gradual improvement. He played the same in the Lions game that he did in the Washington game. He has a few spikes in the season, but I'm not sure he would have done any better had he been starting since week 1.

If you remember, he got beat out for a LB roster spot by Hoyte.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
theogt;1298090 said:
What? Hoyte was active earlier because he was better on special teams, not because he was a better LB.

Hoyte was so much better a LB that he got moved to fullback.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1298106 said:
What? Hoyte was active earlier because he was better on special teams, not because he was a better LB.

Hoyte was so much better a LB that he got moved to fullback.
Hoyte was on the roster as a LB. Carpenter was inactive. Parcells wants to carry X number of linebackers to a game and wants some of them to contribute on special teams. Hoyte beat him out for one of those positions.

Hoyte was moved to FB because Polite and Fasano can't block and Parcells was thinking out of the box (knowing that Hoyte had played FB earlier in his life). He wasn't moved because he sucked at LB.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
theogt;1298090 said:
I think it's a myth that "he slowly gets better each game." I didn't really see a gradual improvement. He played the same in the Lions game that he did in the Washington game. He has a few spikes in the season, but I'm not sure he would have done any better had he been starting since week 1.

And who made that decision ? Parcells, ... doesn't make it right.

That's my point.

Someone else mentioned that Parcells make it more complicated than it is, just put the talent on the field and watch it grow.

He was a No.1 pick, let him see what he can do.

If he can't play, we would be able to tell, instead we see him showing up big in the big game.

I am not saying he is all-pro, I'm just saying he should have played earlier.

Watkins got a starting job and he still needs work.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
theogt;1298121 said:
Hoyte was on the roster as a LB. Carpenter was inactive. Parcells wants to carry X number of linebackers to a game and wants some of them to contribute on special teams. Hoyte beat him out for one of those positions.

Hoyte was moved to FB because Polite and Fasano can't block and Parcells was thinking out of the box (knowing that Hoyte had played FB earlier in his life). He wasn't moved because he sucked at LB.

Hoyte didn't beat Carp out at LB, period. Hoyte was active cuz he was better on special teams. BP even said so.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Say what you want fellow Cowboy fans, but this kid came to play last night and showed why Bill and the staff drafted him in the first round.

I for one was highly impressed with his play and hussle. I'm going to go ahead and say that #54 is going to be a good one for the Cowboys.

Now if we can get Zimmer out of Dallas before he begins to figure out that Bobby is going to be a great to good player and tries to make him insignificant in our defense.

Bobby came around a bit later than many of you wanted (you know who you are), but what are some of your thoughts on Carpenter's play?

Achozen

Sounds From The Lair
Reaction score
He was all over the place. I'm really excited to see how he improves this off season.

EastDallasCowboy

Reaction score
Don't forget to give kudos to Miles Austin as well.

That was a nice, and very well-timed, kick return for 6.

koolaid

Drink Me
Reaction score
i wouldnt give him too much credit, his dropped interception with that open lane to run it back hurt a lot