Twitter: La Canfora: Defensive coordinator market will be flooded this offseason

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I'm no Nolan fan but he will get another chance. Hopefully with a strong draft and maybe the FO actually trying to get a decent FA player or two, it could really bode well for Nolan. If not, then yeah he should go. The defense has been up and down this year, but to his credit, our secondary is trash. (plus injuries)

Cowboyny

Reaction score
1000%.......exactly
MM would basically have to admit to Jerry and Stephen he made a mistake hiring Nolan. They will have to pay off the last 2 years of his deal AND he needs MORE budget money to hire another DC. That ain't happening......lol

Even though still a poor unit, defense has shown improvement with better health and some personnel changes made. MM was fully aware and even stated the Defense/Special Teams needed a major overhaul. Growing pains were expected. However, his leash will get shorter and pressure will be on to produce results.

maryquality

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Interesting name. But do you think he would want to work for the Jones clan again after they fired him?
I guess it depends on if it was an amicable parting of ways. Also, he may put his ego aside if he is NEEDING a job. I honestly don't know.

Majic

Reaction score
Todd Bowles will be a H/C next season, we interviewed him in the past but decided to pass. The last thing we want is a change of DEF Co-ordinator. We need to give both Mikes one more year and there has to be improvement next season. The players are now buying in to the scheme, we just need to improve our depth quality wise

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Honestly if they were going to keep Moore for OC and play caller they should have brought in a
Defensive HC. MM’s specialty is offense, if he is yielding that to Moore he brings nothing to the table.
I have the right to overturn my opinion right now, but I think because the offense was so successful, MM is giving it a year to understand the scheme. I think he'll take over next year knowing the offense a lot more.

817Gill

Reaction score
I have the right to overturn my opinion right now, but I think because the offense was so successful, MM is giving it a year to understand the scheme. I think he'll take over next year knowing the offense a lot more.
Or wants to wait till a full offseason to install his own. I think he mentioned that as one of the contributing factors to giving Moore the reigns.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I'm no Nolan fan but he will get another chance. Hopefully with a strong draft and maybe the FO actually trying to get a decent FA player or two, it could really bode well for Nolan. If not, then yeah he should go. The defense has been up and down this year, but to his credit, our secondary is trash. (plus injuries)

why wait another year on Nolan?

we know what will happen.

bad defense.

quickccc

Reaction score
Unfortunately we'll go with Nolan for another year ... we wont have a top notch defense with him around but team will give him all excuses to keep him around since his MM's hand picked favorite.

i have heard per Whispers from the Star that as someone will have to be the scape goat for failings - the team could be looking to replace the secondary
coaches (Al Harris and Maurice Linguist)

i remember report that Nolan was interested in retaining Kris Richard but he apparently declined.
Could he be approached to resurface in that role here next year ?

And would the Jones want a Plan B continuity if Nolan is an early season failure ? o_O

conner01

Reaction score
Who with a proven record would come here?

Same problem finding a good HC. With Jerry in charge it’s not going to happen.
With the exception of a handful of people Jerry can get who ever he wants

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Base defense like 3-4 and 4-3 is a very small part of today’s scheme. It’s all about your nickel looks. Nolan is going with a 4-2-5 look all year and the difference is sometimes the ends stand up and sometimes hand is on the ground.

Very true and good point. I don't think that the Cowboys could copy the Steelers other than just conceptually picking a good system and sticking with it for a long enough time to get good at it and pick players for it.

I will say this, the nickel that the Steelers run looks very different than what many other teams do because they are coming into it from the 3-4.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Unfortunately we'll go with Nolan for another year ... we wont have a top notch defense with him around but team will give him all excuses to keep him around since his MM's hand picked favorite.

i have heard per Whispers from the Star that as someone will have to be the scape goat for failings - the team could be looking to replace the secondary
coaches (Al Harris and Maurice Linguist)

i remember report that Nolan was interested in retaining Kris Richard but he apparently declined.
Could he be approached to resurface in that role here next year ?

And would the Jones want a Plan B continuity if Nolan is an early season failure ? o_O

Keep an eye on these two......Joe Whitt Jr. and Winston Moss

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Whitt_Jr.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winston_Moss