Twitter: La Canfora: Defensive coordinator market will be flooded this offseason

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Unfortunately we'll go with Nolan for another year ... we wont have a top notch defense with him around but team will give him all excuses to keep him around since his MM's hand picked favorite.

i have heard per Whispers from the Star that as someone will have to be the scape goat for failings - the team could be looking to replace the secondary
coaches (Al Harris and Maurice Linguist)

i remember report that Nolan was interested in retaining Kris Richard but he apparently declined.
Could he be approached to resurface in that role here next year ?

And would the Jones want a Plan B continuity if Nolan is an early season failure ? o_O

KRichard wants a DC or HC gig.

that’s why he left Dallas. Can you blame him? Nolan is a joke.

KR’s an elite coach.

lwehlers

Reaction score
I believe Bowles and Eberflus had stints with us as position coaches. Maybe I am crazy. I am getting older. Lol.
i do not think that eberflus is anything special his defense has been exposed the last three out four games now. i know the colts were missing four starters because of covid but still have struggled to stop anyone.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
There are some very good DC prospects in college, teams need to stop rehashing the same guys and get some fresh ideas in the building....

i have always liked Brent Venables from Clemson. the guy can coach defense and relates to his players. Dabo would not be Dabo without this guy coaching his defense. And Dabo ain't going nowhere. I agree, i am tired of retreaded head coaches. DC i would not mind Zimmer if he was fired.

quickccc

Reaction score

two players famiilar in past dayz with MM.... but neither established vet DC's ?
Guess you're hoping for the next Brandon Stanley (Rams)

Definitely don't want his other buddy Dom Capers either.
One of the biggest blemishes may be MM's hand pick choice for DC's

Hitting the ground running with a 4-3 scheme, i'd go with
Dan Quinn
Kris Richard
George Edwards

if MM insisting on a 3-4 scheme
Vic Fangio (he'll be fired, Broncos hideous)
Chuck Pagano (Bears)
Wade Phillips (last with Rams)

i used to be big on Jets Gregg Williams but his stock has really gassed out and he has baggage

Slick

Reaction score
With the exception of a handful of people Jerry can get who ever he wants
Those handful are the ones he really needs.

He proved with Parcells that the HC needs to toe the line, and take the blame.

Bill was promised some control, in the end it was a mirage. After the TO signing, you could see Bill knew it was false promises.
No real head coach will come here. Sean Payton could have had more money than NO would have paid. He didn’t even try.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
two players famiilar in past dayz with MM.... but neither established vet DC's ?
Guess you're hoping for the next Brandon Stanley (Rams)

Definitely don't want his other buddy Dom Capers either.
One of the biggest blemishes may be MM's hand pick choice for DC's

Hitting the ground running with a 4-3 scheme, i'd go with
Dan Quinn
Kris Richard
George Edwards

if MM insisting on a 3-4 scheme
Vic Fangio (he'll be fired, Broncos hideous)
Chuck Pagano (Bears)
Wade Phillips (last with Rams)

i used to be big on Jets Gregg Williams but his stock has really gassed out and he has baggage

Oh I'm not thinking DC coz I think Nolan comes back. I'm one or both possibly added as positional coaches. They both have long history with MM.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

Bill was promised some control, in the end it was a mirage. After the TO signing, you could see Bill knew it was false promises.
No real head coach will come here. Sean Payton could have had more money than NO would have paid. He didn’t even try.

Name one coach Jerry wanted who declined his request.......

Remember last year Urban Myers had not interested in an NFL HC job but clearly said if Jerry call, he has to take that call.

quickccc

Reaction score
Oh I'm not thinking DC coz I think Nolan comes back. I'm one or both possibly added as positional coaches. They both have long history with MM.

i wouldn't kick out George Edwards as a LB asst.. He's a past experienced DC and was once Mike Zimmer's right hand man that could prove useful if
we need to go to Plan B to fire Nolan at midseason, and anoint a interim DC.

i just don't think Jones are gonna be as patient as Packer staff was in GB with MM and his buddy choice of DC...

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
i wouldn't kick out George Edwards as a LB asst.. He's a past experienced DC and was once Mike Zimmer's right hand man that could prove useful if
we need to go to Plan B to fire Nolan at midseason, and anoint a interim DC.

i just don't think Jones are gonna be as patient as Packer staff was in GB with MM and his buddy choice of DC...

Agree 100% but remember the standard contracts for coordinators are 3 years, which of course means Nolan just going into his 2nd next year. He will def get next year and probably the 3rd year if he's at least average coz Jerry ain't a coach NOT to coach.....lol.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Forget all this talk of systems and defensive coordinators. Doesn't matter if the players can't/won't tackle and do not even know their responsibilities.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I just don't think MM and the front office will move on from Nolan after a shorten off-season, mass injuries, several bust fa signings and the loss of their #1 CB. Nolan should get a few high picks and will be tasked to get immediate results. If that fails to happen, 2022 is when we will see a new hire happen. Who knows, MM's job could be in jepoardy if that happens.
Agreed

cristglo

Reaction score
Nolan stays or go?????? Sounds like finding a replacement WILL NOT be easy unless we simply promote Edwards but is he interested? Not sure that's something we can auto assume.

BTW: Please remember ONLY coaches with expiring or no contracts are available WITHOUT their current team permission. In other words, teams can't block assist coaches from interviewing for HEAD COACHING jobs but other assistant jobs, including coordinators they can. See Jerry and former OL coach Bill Callahan.

NFL coaches, general managers bracing for defensive coordinator purge during 2021 offseason
Dozens of NFL teams could be hiring new coaches to fill various defensive coordinator vacancies for 2021

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...sive-coordinator-purge-during-2021-offseason/

By Jason La Canfora

26 mins ago1 min read

I have to admit I truly dont understand the defense that Nolan is running. Its like he is running a 4-3 and 3-4 . Like one poster stated sometimes the ends are standing up sometimes hands on the ground. The thing I dont understand is even after they hired Nolan the FA pick ups seemed to be more of a 4-3 style with the exception of Smith who played the 3-4. Maybe one can help me understand these FA signings. Our personnel was more in line with the 4-3 then 3-4. It would have made more since to go after 3-4 type players.
Knowing Jerry's track record I dont see them getting rid of Nolan unless they plan on moving away from MM also. Jerry in the past has always seemed to let players/coaches overstay their welcome. Im not saying that I want to get rid of either even though I have to question some of the decisions that MM has made. For the life of me this going for it on 4th when your in the others end zone is baffling. Its also baffling when you go for it with 10 yards needed on a fake punt. lol I also dont understand Pollard he was a beast in college as a returner but he sucks here. I hate it when he takes off from the end zone on kickoffs.
This whole season is FUBAR for this team. I would personally shut Zack down and start getting playing time for the younger ones. The problem is that in some eyes we are still in this and see a possible SB. lol
For the most part this Offense has kept us in the game but this Defense is much to be desired.
Is it the players the coach the system I dont know but I dont want to see this type of play next year. If Dallas wants to compete next year this defense has to be fixed!

Hoofbite

Reaction score
The rules of the game are in place to promote scoring for fantasy football in order to line the pockets of the greedy owners.

DC jobs are a great way to fail. No one can be any good in this league.

Going into this week, half the league has given up 1 TD less than Dallas per game. Dallas is dead last, and the 2nd worst scoring defense is just shy of a FG better. 9 teams give up 10 fewer points each week than Dallas. Best defense is 2 TDs+ ahead of Dallas.

There are defensive teams in the NFL. Dallas just isn't one of them.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
I have to admit I truly dont understand the defense that Nolan is running. Its like he is running a 4-3 and 3-4 . Like one poster stated sometimes the ends are standing up sometimes hands on the ground. The thing I dont understand is even after they hired Nolan the FA pick ups seemed to be more of a 4-3 style with the exception of Smith who played the 3-4. Maybe one can help me understand these FA signings. Our personnel was more in line with the 4-3 then 3-4. It would have made more since to go after 3-4 type players.
Knowing Jerry's track record I dont see them getting rid of Nolan unless they plan on moving away from MM also. Jerry in the past has always seemed to let players/coaches overstay their welcome. Im not saying that I want to get rid of either even though I have to question some of the decisions that MM has made. For the life of me this going for it on 4th when your in the others end zone is baffling. Its also baffling when you go for it with 10 yards needed on a fake punt. lol I also dont understand Pollard he was a beast in college as a returner but he sucks here. I hate it when he takes off from the end zone on kickoffs.
This whole season is FUBAR for this team. I would personally shut Zack down and start getting playing time for the younger ones. The problem is that in some eyes we are still in this and see a possible SB. lol
For the most part this Offense has kept us in the game but this Defense is much to be desired.
Is it the players the coach the system I dont know but I dont want to see this type of play next year. If Dallas wants to compete next year this defense has to be fixed!

This is all in bold font....so you must have really meant it.

conner01

Reaction score

Bill took the job
Payton wasn’t available to hire
It’s just a fantasy that no good coach will come her
It’s very hard for any team to hire a “good coach” because they are under contract
The key is hire the right young coach who becomes a “good coach” for you

conner01

Reaction score
Has that really been the case, though, in the past?
Ability to hire has never been the problem
Picking the right guy has been the problem
Great head coaches are discovered not hired
A proven great head coach is gonna have a job
The key is hiring the young guy who can become a great head coach
We’ve mixed a chance many times to hire guys who have went on to other teams and may now get HC jobs because Jerry thought Garrett was the young guy who could become a great coach
And who knows, had Jerry let him run the team he might have