LaCanfora: Eagles expected to be aggressive at trade deadline

Mr_437

Reaction score
Who would even trade for JJ Watt now? That's the most interesting part. Philly can do whatever, their not going anywhere...if Howie wants to compromise the draft than by all means Howie sink that ship.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Ah yes another one that puts so much stock in speculation by sportswriters and then to prove it puts up two links to the same sportswriter's speculation.

What the hell are you talking about......damn, back off with the personal crap

BWT.....if you took the time to read your post guess who's speculating?

Most here know I'm not one to get personal but for rather than discussing the content, as in football, you make it persona SPECULATING on what you THINK I'm thinking when the truth is you don't damn about me, or any other poster but that's your MO and that's fine, just stay out my lane.

TheHerd

Reaction score
Aren’t they over the cap next by a large margin??

I mean it’s Howie and the Eagles. I’m sure they have the most cap room in the league lol
They always structure things so the cap never seems to cause them much pain. They dump bad contracts every year and find ways to do whatever they think will help. The good news is they are hitched to Wentz for now and that will set their top end at a fairly low level.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Lol. They haven't been Aggressive since Foles won them a Superbowl. And w/Wentzie at center, they NEVER will be!

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score

I mean it’s Howie and the Eagles. I’m sure they have the most cap room in the league lol

Next 2 years they are going to have major cap issues. 2021 no money. 2022 will be a huge challenge because multiple aging players whose contracts were extended to kick the can down the road will be coming due.

As for being aggressive with trades, that is the only thing Howie can do. He sucks at drafting. Many of the 2017 players that helped them win the Super Bowl were drafted by Chip Kelly. IMO he is not good with the cap even he has a reputation for being a wizard but that will change over the next 2 years.

Aven8

Reaction score
Swartz has that D playing well. If the O can catch up they will be decent.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score

Creeper

Reaction score

According to Spotrac the Eagles are almost $70 million over the CAP for 2021 with only 41 players under contract. But somehow they manage to resolve their cap problems every year. I think Alshon Jeffery, DeSean Jackson, Derreck Barnett and maybe even Zack Ertz will be gone next year. Fletcher Cox is going to case them $22 million against the CAP too. He is getting older and slowing down so he could be a CAP victim too. But even if they cut all those guys they only free $35 million in CAP space. They are going to have to restructure a few guys to get under the cap. If the CAP does not go up next year due to lower TV ratings they are in a world of CAP hurt.

Maybe that's why they are willing to be aggressive with trades this year. They know this may be their last chance for a few years.

JayFord

Reaction score
Somebody in this division is going on a roll and if its Philly ill be angry but watch they pull something out of their behind and win the division

AbeBeta

Reaction score
would be silly for a team with a losing record that may end up moving on from their QB to be tossing picks in trades at the problem

fivetwos

Reaction score
The GM is trying to save his job because he traded off picks for older players starting 3 years ago.
It is just the GM's philosophy of YOLO.
But the older players are the ones always injured and without draft picks you can't balance your salary cap.
Given the Philly cap space situation the next 2 years it would be insane to trade for any vet making nay real money beyond this year.
Could be...yeah.

Theres an easy shot at a division title and a playoff home game sitting there, which is coupled with an almost definite second round loss.

Matter of what means what to who.

Nemesis4u

Reaction score
remember teams can carry over space from this year to next as of now phili has almost 20 mil to carry over which will help a bit.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Could be...yeah.

Theres an easy shot at a division title and a playoff home game sitting there, which is coupled with an almost definite second round loss.

Matter of what means what to who.
Unless they fix the QB play issue they aren't winning even a bad division much less a home playoff game versus a likely far superior team.

Games in the next 7 weeks include BAL, SEA, CLE. GB.
They already tied a division game with a bad WAS football team.

PHI 2020 issue is highlighted by 3 things:
1. Bad QB play right now but a guy who has a high ceiling but has some really low lows.
2. Aging, vet roster that is underperforming and expensive facing a massive cap reduction the credit card cap mgmt style didn't account for.
3. The schedule this year is just far more rough on them than DAL.

PHI could see better Wentz play and turn that into a division winner but without that adding a couple pieces via trade likely don't mean much.