Lack of talent or Lack of coaching, can only pick one?

snadler

Reaction score
Cowboys are lacking any kind of identity, and not sure that's from lack of talent or lack of coaching, and as much as i Despise Garrett, probably this year the lack of talent more than anything else will be the reason why this team loses at least 10 games this year..so in the end, the real problem which can't be fixed is the owner.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Cowboys are lacking any kind of identity, and not sure that's from lack of talent or lack of coaching, and as much as i Despise Garrett, probably this year the lack of talent more than anything else will be the reason why this team loses at least 10 games this year..so in the end, the real problem which can't be fixed is the owner.

We've seen a decade of Garrett.

He ruins talent.

People are already starting to question Zekes talent. It's what Garrett does.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We've seen a decade of Garrett.

He ruins talent.

People are already starting to question Zekes talent. It's what Garrett does.

This argument would be better if the offense weren't actually good during that decade.

We don't lack for either talent or coaching, overall. We've got a fair amount of both, which has shown up statistically except in situations like 2015 where you lose an elite QB and can't replace him.

If the questions is 'what's kept this team from advancing farther in the playoffs in recent years?' it's both, with an emphasis on insufficient talent.

As a whole, the coaching staff has been good, but not great during that time.

snadler

Reaction score
In other words is the question get better talent or get a better coach?

The answer is easy.

Get a better coach.

But if Jerry is in charge of getting the new coach, do you trust who he hires, and what coach will come in and actually be able to run his team his way

cowboyec

Reaction score
coaching...particularly on the offensive side of the ball....except for RBs coach Gary Brown and our OL guys...Alexander and Colombo...I dont trust the rest to develop our young guys.
hope Im wrong.

erod

Reaction score
Neither.

You can't play offense without a quarterback unless you have the best defense in the NFL.

Sydla

Reaction score
But if Jerry is in charge of getting the new coach, do you trust who he hires, and what coach will come in and actually be able to run his team his way

I mean I see people say this all the time and it makes zero sense. The coach we have now was handpicked by Jerry and hasn't done the job. So why in the hell would I want to stick with him?

I'd rather take a chance on getting lucky with a new coach than continue down this path to nowhere.

So do I trust Jerry? No, not really. But ask me which has the better chance of resulting in more success in the future - keep Garrett or try to get lucky and hire a good coach? The answer is easy IMO.

snadler

Reaction score
coaching...particularly on the offensive side of the ball....except for RBs coach Gary Brown and our OL guys...Alexander and Colombo...I dont trust the rest to develop our young guys.
hope Im wrong.

See above, but do you trust Jerry to hire the right coach, and would that right coach be able to run things his way

snadler

Reaction score
Does it matter?

I mean I see people say this all the time and it makes zero sense. The coach we have now was handpicked by Jerry and hasn't done the job. So why in the hell would I want to stick with him?

I'd rather take a chance on getting lucky with a new coach than continue down this path to nowhere.

Agree, so really the issue is the owner, because he won't hire anyone unless that coach is just a puppet

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
This argument would be better if the offense weren't actually good during that decade.

We don't lack for either talent or coaching, overall. We've got a fair amount of both, which has shown up statistically except in situations like 2015 where you lose an elite QB and can't replace him.

If the questions is 'what's kept this team from advancing farther in the playoffs in recent years?' it's both, with an emphasis on insufficient talent.

As a whole, the coaching staff has been good, but not great during that time.

Yeah but it's not good because of coaching. It's good because of the talent.

The guys we had could produce in any system and they proved that by playing for our horrible coach.

But he never maximized their capabilities in the grand scheme of things and they couldn't out-athlete every team they played.

cowboyec

Reaction score
See above, but do you trust Jerry to hire the right coach, and would that right coach be able to run things his way
if they keep playing like they did last sunday...we'll find out.
but if you make me choose....again....coaching.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

I do not trust Jerry to hire the right coach. Every hire post Jimmy besides Parcells was a bad one.

garyv

Reaction score

Easy one - Lack of Coaching at HC and OC (GM needs to shy away)

Cowboysfandarin

Reaction score
You remember though guys, ole jerry called in the great players of the 90's during our Super Bowl run and asked them their opinion of Garrett before hiring him. And they all agreed, he was the real deal. Aikman specifically vouched heavily for him. I can tell you, I got 2-1 odds he doesn't make it through this season though. He won;t be back next year. I'll 99% guarantee you that.

Sydla

Reaction score
Agree, so really the issue is the owner, because he won't hire anyone unless that coach is just a puppet

But what does that have to do with this discussion. He simply asked who is the bigger culprit - the talent on the team or the coach?

It's the coach.