Lack of talent or Lack of coaching, can only pick one?

GenoT

Reaction score
Coaching.

Only been two top-shelf HCs here since Jerry’s owned the team (Jimmy and Parcells), and Jones ran ‘em both off with his ego.

As long as the stand$ are full, the TV rating$ are high and the merch keep$ flying off the shelve$, Jerry Jones will accept mediocre-to-decent coaching, rather than give any HC too much autonomy and, by extension, credit for success.

22 seasons / 3 wildcard wins / no advancement beyond the NFC semifinals DOES NOT LIE.

As Bill Parcells so eloquently stated the true bottom-line of professional sports, “You are what your record says you are.”

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This argument would be better if the offense weren't actually good during that decade.

We don't lack for either talent or coaching, overall. We've got a fair amount of both, which has shown up statistically except in situations like 2015 where you lose an elite QB and can't replace him.

If the questions is 'what's kept this team from advancing farther in the playoffs in recent years?' it's both, with an emphasis on insufficient talent.

As a whole, the coaching staff has been good, but not great during that time.
We deserve great.

Cowboysfandarin

Reaction score
Remember the documentary on Jerry Jones. At the end, he said something like, "I have a number in my head that is secret of what I would pay to win a super bowl. I realize it doesn't work that way, but I would probably pay everything I own for another one." Jerry wants to win. I think he and his son need to step aside for a few years and bring in some top talent on the coaching venue and front office. I'm talking like on the level of a Belichick.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It can be both or neither...depending on the talent and the coach.

Someone mentioned that garrett is ruining Zeke already.

How soon we forget that a great coach like the Tuna ruined a promising young RB we got from Notre Dame that looked to have some flash to him his rookie season only to come back the next season and look to scared to run naturally.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
My humble opinion points to HC and OC being the biggest drag on this team. The D is solid and there are enough weapons to work with on offense including one of the best RBs in the game.

Why in the world is your limited QB throwing the ball 29 times and your stud RB only getting 18 touches. Garrett most of all should know what a RB dominant offense looks like.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cowboys are lacking any kind of identity, and not sure that's from lack of talent or lack of coaching, and as much as i Despise Garrett, probably this year the lack of talent more than anything else will be the reason why this team loses at least 10 games this year..so in the end, the real problem which can't be fixed is the owner.

Lack of coaching.
giphy.gif

CPanther95

Reaction score
But what does that have to do with this discussion. He simply asked who is the bigger culprit - the talent on the team or the coach?

It's the coach.

After 8 years, it's definitely the coach. If there's a lack of talent, he's responsible.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Unequivocally coaching. Bill Belichick has an offense of Brady & Gronkowski, along with a bunch of nobodies. Coach matters.
Quincy Carter, no doubt, went to the playoffs. Coach matters.
I can go on and on

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We deserve great.

Then we better do a better job of getting the talent together. I'm all for upgrading the coaching, while we're at it. We just need to get on the same page re: what's an actual upgrade and what is 'movement' emulating actual 'progress.'

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah but it's not good because of coaching. It's good because of the talent.

The guys we had could produce in any system and they proved that by playing for our horrible coach.

But he never maximized their capabilities in the grand scheme of things and they couldn't out-athlete every team they played.

If it's good because of talent, it's been good for a long time, with a lot of different players.

I don't agree that guys like Dez and Tony and Demarco or Dak or Elliott never maximized their ability under Garrett. I'd say instead that there were other areas of the team where the talent was insufficient and it showed up against other good teams where the lack of depth from 1:53 was too much to overcome.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Cowboys are lacking any kind of identity, and not sure that's from lack of talent or lack of coaching, and as much as i Despise Garrett, probably this year the lack of talent more than anything else will be the reason why this team loses at least 10 games this year..so in the end, the real problem which can't be fixed is the owner.
Faulty premise. It can be both talent and coaching and likely is. The owner is a great owner. The GM sucks.

Big_D

Reaction score
Unequivocally coaching. Bill Belichick has an offense of Brady & Gronkowski, along with a bunch of nobodies. Coach matters.
Quincy Carter, no doubt, went to the playoffs. Coach matters.
I can go on and on

It's odd how some cowboy fans just don't care about coaching?!

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

You answered your own question. Until that gets fixed, the others will always be a problem.

Sydla

Reaction score
Then we better do a better job of getting the talent together. I'm all for upgrading the coaching, while we're at it. We just need to get on the same page re: what's an actual upgrade and what is 'movement' emulating actual 'progress.'

LOL.

Get the coach first. Then get the talent. A new coach could have a different system that would/could require certain players.

There's a base here already - good TB, good OL, some pieces on defense. The next step should be getting a legit coaching staff and then they can put the final pieces together for the team based on needs. For example, maybe the next coach comes in and puts a premium on DT play whereas our current one thinks he can get by with little investment in the DT position.

Honestly, if this season is a disappointment, it's the perfect time to grab a new coach.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Coaching. Pro sports are a perfect example that talent alone doesn’t win. Find a championship team and you will see talent plus coaching. Talent alone is not enough.

cml750

Reaction score
Same issue they have had for years. Coaching matters.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Until Jerry figures out the importance of a head coach, the team has no chance. Heck, we've been mired in a football abyss since the late 90's. The team is sloppy and lacks discipline. Thats coaching.