Lael Collins proved us wrong - what changed?

quickccc

Reaction score
Seems like Lael Collins is on his way to proving all the critics wrong about him.
He's currently having an outstanding season.

I admitted that when Cowboys drafted Connor McGovern that was a clear sign of Lael Collins being set up to allowed to depart in FA, and the eventual move of Connor Williams to starting RT with McGovern the eventual starting LG.

But surprisingly the Cowboys re-signed Collins to long term deal ..and that clearly cemented their thoughts and plans for Lael’s future here.
No matter what the outside world thought of him.

I thought Collins would really emerge from what I’d saw at mid-season in 2017 when he fared well vs Khali Mack, Ryan Kerrigan, despite playing with a bum back. But he took a major step backwards in 2018.

I admitted that I was really disappointed in Collins play in 2018, from his sacks, QB hits and lapses, I thought he played like an average OT, despite someone of his terrific physical ability.

- Although I still thought matters that helped hurt his development was ex- OL coach Paul Alexander who was fired at mid season. I even thought entire OL was marred by Alexander.

But thus far this year, Lael seems to have resurged as a promising looking OT, and he has all the looks of an emerging future pro bowler.
We’ll see how he fares against Vikes pro bowler DE’s Hunter and Griffin on Sunday.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
If you are negative about everything Cowboys like a lot here he definitely proved you wrong. If you realize players need time to develop he probably hasn't proven you wrong.
giphy.gif

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I liked Collins. I don't believe he played as poorly as many suggested last season. Between OL changes, injuries, rehab and incontinuity along the OL, i thought he did OK. I'm looking forward to the Vikings and seeing how he performs.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
He finally matured.
We get upset because we expect a highly-rated player to come in Day 1 and dominate.
But it takes time for many players, even the blue chippers. And so when some fans saw he wasn't doing as well right away, they wanted to think something was wrong when, in actuality, he was learning on the fly.
He has now gotten to a place where it's becoming second nature, and, combined with the talent he possesses, it's clicking for him.
Don't be so quick to jettison players or give up on them too early.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
I never thought La'el was a bad offensive lineman, although it must be hard when performing in comparison to the monsters we have at LT, C, and RG.

I think this group, as a unit, regressed mightily under Paul Alexander. Thankfully, Garrett recognized the issue and corrected it to save the season and his QB, but that hire in the first place was all Garrett from what I understand.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Seems like Lael Collins is on his way to proving all the critics wrong about him.
Projected to be a 1st round draft pick and got a big extension (signed a 5 year, $50,000,000 contract with the Dallas Cowboys, including a $9,000,000 signing bonus, $35,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $10,000,000) by the Cowboys.

He may be proving you wrong but certainly not the Cowboys and most who could see his talent.

quickccc

Reaction score
Projected to be a 1st round draft pick and got a big extension (signed a 5 year, $50,000,000 contract with the Dallas Cowboys, including a $9,000,000 signing bonus, $35,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $10,000,000) by the Cowboys.

He may be proving you wrong but certainly not the Cowboys and most who could see his talent.

there was never a question of his talent. but the consistency wasn't matching to that talent.
Thus far, this year, someone or something is bringing that consistency out of him more so.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I honestly never understood what you La'El critics were talking about? La'El was getting better each year at Right Tackle. Was only a matter of time before he solidified his play and cemented his spot at RT. Happy to see him doing so well this year. Jerry and the Front Office got it right giving him an extension.

quickccc

Reaction score
I never thought La'el was a bad offensive lineman, although it must be hard when performing in comparison to the monsters we have at LT, C, and RG.

I think this group, as a unit, regressed mightily under Paul Alexander. Thankfully, Garrett recognized the issue and corrected it to save the season and his QB, but that hire in the first place was all Garrett from what I understand.

I had heard Scott Linehan had a lot to do with the Alexander hiring and bringing him on board.

exciter

Reaction score
And the same people are attacking Conner this year ........ And he will prove them wrong too
Actually there hasn't been as much of that the last 3 weeks, especially as opposed to the 1st 2. Hill along with the ever present Heath seems to be the whipping boy!

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
I had heard Scott Linehan had a lot to do with the Alexander hiring and bringing him on board.
Which is odd to me. The way Garrett and Linehan roll, they like to hire guys they've worked/played with and are familiar with (Derek Dooley for example).

Alexander was a signing out there in left field, since he was in Cincinnati for so long. Alexander is a frequent contributor on NFL Radio now so I think he's found consistent work in post-game analysis.