Lael Collins proved us wrong - what changed?

ultron

Reaction score
One of very few players that actually got better after signing a long term deal!

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Seems like Lael Collins is on his way to proving all the critics wrong about him.
He's currently having an outstanding season.

I admitted that when Cowboys drafted Connor McGovern that was a clear sign of Lael Collins being set up to allowed to depart in FA, and the eventual move of Connor Williams to starting RT with McGovern the eventual starting LG.

But surprisingly the Cowboys re-signed Collins to long term deal ..and that clearly cemented their thoughts and plans for Lael’s future here.
No matter what the outside world thought of him.

I thought Collins would really emerge from what I’d saw at mid-season in 2017 when he fared well vs Khali Mack, Ryan Kerrigan, despite playing with a bum back. But he took a major step backwards in 2018.

I admitted that I was really disappointed in Collins play in 2018, from his sacks, QB hits and lapses, I thought he played like an average OT, despite someone of his terrific physical ability.

- Although I still thought matters that helped hurt his development was ex- OL coach Paul Alexander who was fired at mid season. I even thought entire OL was marred by Alexander.

But thus far this year, Lael seems to have resurged as a promising looking OT, and he has all the looks of an emerging future pro bowler.
We’ll see how he fares against Vikes pro bowler DE’s Hunter and Griffin on Sunday.
nothing, we the fans demand perfection from everyone, in every position, in every game, in every series, in every play...when we don't get it, then we complain.

Macnalty

Reaction score
I liked Collins. I don't believe he played as poorly as many suggested last season. Between OL changes, injuries, rehab and incontinuity along the OL, i thought he did OK. I'm looking forward to the Vikings and seeing how he performs.
I agree and I also think there could of been an injury we were not privy to.

kskboys

Reaction score
Seems like Lael Collins is on his way to proving all the critics wrong about him.

I admitted that when Cowboys drafted Connor McGovern that was a clear sign of Lael Collins being set up to allowed to depart in FA, and the eventual move of Connor Williams to starting RT with McGovern the eventual starting LG.

But surprisingly the Cowboys re-signed Collins to long term deal ..and that clearly cemented their thoughts and plans for Lael’s future here.

I thought Collins would really emerge from what I’d saw at mid-season in 2017 when he fared well vs Khali Mack, Ryan Kerrigan, despite playing with a bum back. But he took a major step backwards in 2018.

I admitted that I was really disappointed in Collins play in 2018, from his sacks, QB hits and lapses, I thought he played like an average OT, despite someone of his terrific physical ability.

- Although I still thought matters that helped hurt his development was ex- OL coach Paul Alexander who was fired at mid season. I even thought entire OL was marred by Alexander.

But thus far this year, Lael seems to have resurged as a promising looking OT, and he has all the looks of an emerging future pro bowler.
We’ll see how he fares against Vikes pro bowler DE’s Hunter and Griffin on Sunday.
What changed is that fans jumped the gun and started ragging on him before he had a chance to develop. And he was not terrible in 18. Scouts called his play "solid".

Proof

Reaction score
Projected to be a 1st round draft pick and got a big extension (signed a 5 year, $50,000,000 contract with the Dallas Cowboys, including a $9,000,000 signing bonus, $35,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $10,000,000) by the Cowboys.

He may be proving you wrong but certainly not the Cowboys and most who could see his talent.

I am a huge fan of his, but thought the 50 mil may not only be rich, but lead to too lofty of expectations. He's proven up to the challenge though, and I am super impressed

kskboys

Reaction score
I honestly never understood what you La'El critics were talking about? La'El was getting better each year at Right Tackle. Was only a matter of time before he solidified his play and cemented his spot at RT. Happy to see him doing so well this year. Jerry and the Front Office got it right giving him an extension.
Seriously, it didn't make sense. He was consistently getting better and better.

Prolly just the lemmings effect, where someone complains, everyone jumps on, and suddenly he's the whipping boy.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Glad to see he is coming through. Continuity seems to be the key. There have been a few OL position changes on the Cowboys line over the course of their history. Maybe he is one.

Flamma

Reaction score

He was always good. Think back to 2016 when he was injured and Leary came in for him and played well. Collins was the starter. Later on was moved to the outside out of necessity. I think he played T in college. It took him a little time to adjust but he wasn't terrible. Now he's like a mammoth at RT. I'm not surprised he's playing well, but I will admit I didn't expect this. I loved that one play against the Dolphins when he was lined up on the defensive left and Collins tossed him. Treated him like a little toddler.

Whyjerry

Reaction score

This is a good post. I was down on Collins last year. I thought he was terrible. Technique was awful. Feet were awful. Balance terrible. I thought the guy couldn’t play T. I was wrong. He has played great this year. Clearly he can play T. In my opinion he is the best player on the OL right now.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

Proved you wrong, not me.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Which is odd to me. The way Garrett and Linehan roll, they like to hire guys they've worked/played with and are familiar with (Derek Dooley for example).

Alexander was a signing out there in left field, since he was in Cincinnati for so long. Alexander is a frequent contributor on NFL Radio now so I think he's found consistent work in post-game analysis.
Heard they tried to get Mike Solari. I don't think they thought Colombo was ready.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Word had it that Collins was the guy having the hardest time adjusting to Alexander's system, and was set back by it.

2017 was spent adjusting to a new position with talk of him approaching Pro Bowl level.
2018 was spent under Alexander in training camp and half a season, then half a season adjusting back to the old system.
2019 he got a training camp back in the old system, and now gets to play with hit.

In retrospect, that was constant adjusting for him to do in 2017 and 2018. It's not surprising that this year he picked up at the performance level of the end of 2017 plus a little more.

I am still surprised that they signed him. I thought the move to Williams at RT was baked in, and might even happen this year. We're spending a ton on our oline. I wonder if Jerry just anticipates a big bump to the cap.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Word had it that Collins was the guy having the hardest time adjusting to Alexander's system, and was set back by it.

2017 was spent adjusting to a new position with talk of him approaching Pro Bowl level.
2018 was spent under Alexander in training camp and half a season, then half a season adjusting back to the old system.
2019 he got a training camp back in the old system, and now gets to play with hit.

In retrospect, that was constant adjusting for him to do in 2017 and 2018. It's not surprising that this year he picked up at the performance level of the end of 2017 plus a little more.

I am still surprised that they signed him. I thought the move to Williams at RT was baked in, and might even happen this year. We're spending a ton on our oline. I wonder if Jerry just anticipates a big bump to the cap.
I think both him and many players anticipate a big bump to the cap after the new CBA.
Hence why we're looking at players willing to wait for extension negotiations.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

His play

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

He was better last season than most fans/media thought, especially after they fired the OL coach Alexander.

I didn't think the Cowboys would pay him to stay, but they did.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He didn't, he wasn't wrong. He would have gone in the 1st if not for that incident. How many rookie OL show up on an OL with 3 pbers on it? He catches our heat until Williams shows up and then we turn from Collins to Williams.

Every smart DC is going to go with the path of least resistance to the QB and to disrupt the backfield and that was Collins when he first got to the team because he was the rook. Last year we were ready to get a rope for Williams even though everyone agreed he needed some strength training and more reps at OG. He was fighting for his life half the time and he's a kid that wanted to be a Cowboy.

I don't know if the younger posters here are aware of how it was back before the CBA and FA but it was highly unusual for a rook OL to get many plays in his rookie season. Coaches didn't like playing them because of the learning curve and the move from college to the NFL is the most physically demanding of OL. They might see DL that good a couple of times a year, not 12 out of 16 games.

Ya know, quickie, maybe we should have a special section of the forum where people who have actually tried to play football at that level can enlighten us about just how hard that is. We're quick to pull the trigger without enough information.

RodeoJake

Reaction score
Like with most kids coming out of college, it takes time to learn to play in the NFL. Some positions take longer than others. Some are too willing to call a player a bust when they lack the maturity, strength and position knowledge to contribute right out the gate.