Lamar Jackson

Flamma

Reaction score
Allen got his extension last month. Jackson and the Ravens are reportedly in extension talks now. Mayfield doesn't have his yet. We'll see what happens.

Yeah, like I said before, quarterbacks always get market value. Unlike any other position. Mayfield and Jackson may get it, if not, they're gone.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
Yeah, like I said before, quarterbacks always get market value. Unlike any other position. Mayfield and Jackson may get it, if not, they're gone.
Right. He'll get it from the Ravens, he'll get it through the franchise tag, or he'll get it on the open market. Cousins signed with the Vikings for $28M AAV back in 2018. Jackson would get way more than that.

RaZon

Reaction score
Jackson is like the 6-10 TE Morris Stroud and the Olympic 100m champ Bob Hayes, a rarity unique. I can't see "long term" "longevity" being part of his career. How is he going to stay healthy and injury free running like he does, it really is just a matter of time. He does need to be treated like something different because he is. A nice 10 year career is about it for him. He will never be that stand tall in the pocket guy, that is not his game. How can a team invest big $$$$$ in a QB who thinks he's a running back?

Flamma

Reaction score
Jackson is like the 6-10 TE Morris Stroud and the Olympic 100m champ Bob Hayes, a rarity unique. I can't see "long term" "longevity" being part of his career. How is he going to stay healthy and injury free running like he does, it really is just a matter of time. He does need to be treated like something different because he is. A nice 10 year career is about it for him. He will never be that stand tall in the pocket guy, that is not his game. How can a team invest big $$$$$ in a QB who thinks he's a running back?

I wouldn't pay Jackson or Baker Mayfield. I'd use them for 5 and let them go. Exactly what Tampa Bay did with Winston. But the NFL is a league where Jared Goff got market value. So I won't bet against them.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Has anyone seen the Vick Rise and Fall 2-parter 30 for 30 on ESPN? Just saw it last week. Vick admits how hard it was to learn the offense in the COLLEGE ball, and that after he came out strong in the NFL, he got lazy and stopped reading and preparing as much. With Lamar, I just ask those 2 questions - can the guy actually learn NFL QB progression and NFL Defenses? That's not a knock on him, a lot of people can never get there, it's just most people can't do what he can physically to get out of it. And then the next question would be is he dedicated to the 24/7 preparation needed at this level, or will he always rely on his god given skills to be the escape route? He does that, he becomes someone like a Steve Young, who didn't start out nearly as strong. Otherwise he just fizzles out like Vick, Vince Young, RG3, and the whole running gang. There's always the second option where he gets it later in life like Vick and Cunningham did, but I would like to see the young man be someone special. If such a thing exists as my AFC Team, it's always been the Ravens. Would like to see him get them back to the Super Bowl, as long as it's not against Dak and the Boys.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
What he does is incredible, his quickness is weird, the cat has serious serious fast twitch. Hell, can he hang with Tyreek in a 40?

How many running backs have they had this season and all of them gain yards, why not just run the ball, yep...Army, Navy, Georgia Tech, just run the hell out of the ball. Jackson getting 15ish carries a game.

Hell, wildcat, single wing, get some TE's back there.

That Chiefs D was all beat up just like NCAA teams are after playing Army/Navy/Ga Tech.

Yes yes put those wide outs way out there, play some nine on nine.
Running QB’s do not last. They never have and they never will. They are fantastic in the early years until they get their ***** handed to them. This is the NFL.

kskboys

Reaction score
10? Now that is some optimism!!!!

Has there ever been a running QB who stayed healthy for more than 4 or 5?

RaZon

Reaction score
10? Now that is some optimism!!!!

Has there ever been a running QB who stayed healthy for more than 4 or 5?

In his 10th season Michael Vick gained over 300 rushing yards.

Fran Tarkenton, Steve Young, Randall Cunningham, all played longer than 10 seasons.

BUT....we have never seen it done like Jackson is doing it, not even Vick.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What he does is incredible, his quickness is weird, the cat has serious serious fast twitch. Hell, can he hang with Tyreek in a 40?

How many running backs have they had this season and all of them gain yards, why not just run the ball, yep...Army, Navy, Georgia Tech, just run the hell out of the ball. Jackson getting 15ish carries a game.

Hell, wildcat, single wing, get some TE's back there.

That Chiefs D was all beat up just like NCAA teams are after playing Army/Navy/Ga Tech.

Yes yes put those wide outs way out there, play some nine on nine.

Well, he's fast but he's no John Riggins! lol

kskboys

Reaction score
In his 10th season Michael Vick gained over 300 rushing yards.

Fran Tarkenton, Steve Young, Randall Cunningham, all played longer than 10 seasons.

BUT....we have never seen it done like Jackson is doing it, not even Vick.
300 is not a rushing QB. Young and Tark were scramblers, not runners. You must classify them accurately to discuss.

Cunningham broke his leg his 5th year and didn't consistently play after that. He's actually an example contrary to the 10 year plan.

Aulac

Reaction score
Has anyone seen the Vick Rise and Fall 2-parter 30 for 30 on ESPN? Just saw it last week. Vick admits how hard it was to learn the offense in the COLLEGE ball, and that after he came out strong in the NFL, he got lazy and stopped reading and preparing as much. With Lamar, I just ask those 2 questions - can the guy actually learn NFL QB progression and NFL Defenses? That's not a knock on him, a lot of people can never get there, it's just most people can't do what he can physically to get out of it. And then the next question would be is he dedicated to the 24/7 preparation needed at this level, or will he always rely on his god given skills to be the escape route? He does that, he becomes someone like a Steve Young, who didn't start out nearly as strong. Otherwise he just fizzles out like Vick, Vince Young, RG3, and the whole running gang. There's always the second option where he gets it later in life like Vick and Cunningham did, but I would like to see the young man be someone special. If such a thing exists as my AFC Team, it's always been the Ravens. Would like to see him get them back to the Super Bowl, as long as it's not against Dak and the Boys.

He only scored 13 points on the Wonderlic test out of a total of 50 points. I imagine the wonderlic test does correlate to the NFL somehow. For comparison, Dak got a 25 on the wonderlic test. Tom Brady has 33 points, Jared Goff has 36 points, and Carson Wentz has 40 points. Lamar Jackson is in his third year and still can't read defense, he relies on his athletic ability far too much.

RaZon

Reaction score
Tonight we see the ultimate example of where things are heading at the QB position. It's always been....a QB's job is to distribute the ball to the play makers, now it's becoming the QB is another play maker.

I see no reason to plan on having any QB for a long time like 12ish years, get an athlete who can run and when the smoke starts clearing get ya another one.

Last edited:

Cmac

Reaction score
Some of this sounds like being a QB is an entitlement......the guy is producing.....and his passing is underestimated. Not sure why he can't get paid like so many do.

RaZon

Reaction score
Some of this sounds like being a QB is an entitlement......the guy is producing.....and his passing is underestimated. Not sure why he can't get paid like so many do.

Dude put on a show, what an amazing performance.

Thinking he gets his $$$$.

uvaballa

Reaction score
I was responding to your statement that he wouldn't get more than $25M AAV. Jimmy Garoppolo gets $27.5M. Ryan Tannehill gets $30M.

Will he get the same as Mahomes? Maybe, maybe not. If so, only because it's a year or two later and the numbers keep going up. But I would think Josh Allen's contract would be a likely benchmark.
Yeah he’s getting more than scrubs like Jimmy G and Tannehill.

uvaballa

Reaction score
1st player in history with 85% completion rate and 400+ yards in a game. Bmore is going to pay him well because he’s carrying the offense.

Flamma

Reaction score
Dude put on a show, what an amazing performance.

Thinking he gets his $$$$.

Most likely. Him and Mayfield. Neither team has a choice unless they want to try pot luck in the draft.

Flamma

Reaction score
How can Mayfield be in that elite $$$$ gang?

It's how the NFL operates. QBs that get paid beyond their rookie contract from the team that drafted them get market value. It's not like other positions. They're stuck with either paying Mayfield or finding someone else. There is very little middle ground.

RaZon

Reaction score
The guy is just different, the Barry Sanders of QB because of the......did I just de that?

BUT....how long can he do that stuff?