Lamb in Kellen's Offense Minus Garrett's Cuffs

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've been re-watching the 2019 games on Game Pass when I'm on the stationary bike and it's amazing how beautiful this offense was early on, before JG made em duck in a shell like a scared turtle.

The game against the Giants alone showed Cobb going in motion from one side to the other and either faking a jet sweep to set up a Zeke run, a Dak run, or another pass. He also was hit on a screen running the same motion.

Watching CeeDee's college tape makes me excited to see him in that role, especially in the early going as he gets acclimated. Dude is a YAC monster, and like Stephen said, "He's so abrupt in and out of cuts and getting up the field once he catches the ball." This is the same thing you see in his college tape. Defenses are going to have no choice but to respect him anytime he motions across whether he receives the handoff right away or is targeted after on a screen, somebody has to stay home on him.

Kellen Moore must've been screaming for this pick when he was there at 17 because honestly, he may be the piece that really opens things up for this offense (even more then it was already).

First 3 games against 3 dog teams and winner winner chicken dinner!
Then reality set in once we faced teams with defenses with a pulse.
CeeDee won't save us and putting all this pressure on a rookie is simply not healthy for him or the team.
As you're watching the games on game pass see what happens when we face teams with winning records and how our offense esp the first 3 quarters is in the toilet.
Who's to blame?
Everyone esp the leader on any offense which is the QB hence why they get the big bucks!!

BermyStar

Reaction score
Ok, my apologies. I allowed my perception of the way things unfolded last season to be reflected as factual when I should have noted that it was merely my opinion that Garrett stepped in. Also, in no way am I suggesting that Lamb will be the Savior of this offense. My intended point was that I believe Lamb will be a great fit for what it appears Kellen Moore wants this offense to look like.

ghst187

Reaction score
The bottom line is that we had a coach that was clueless on how to prepare a team for a game, find mismatches, and manage in games. So when we played teams with blatantly inferior talent, we often looked good and beat them. When we played more evenly matched or clever teams, we struggled and often lost. Simple as that.
The exciting thing about Magic Mike is that I know he can utilize talent and do all those things JG couldn’t, which should equate to several more wins. We’ve had the talent to go much farther nearly every year under JG but didn’t because the teams in the playoffs were better than average and smarter. Now we will have the smarter advantage on our side finally.

ondaedg

Reaction score
I mean - I understand the frustration with Garrett and the enthusiasm for this season, but - we played the Giants, Commanders, and Dolphins back to back to back. These guys were damn near moribund defensively.

This offense ran into a buzzsaw when they played winning teams, and that is what ultimately cost us the postseason.

Hrmm seemed like our offense played well vs Vikes and Packers. Perhaps it was the 4 takeaways in our 8 losses? The idea that our offense was to blame for everything is a total joke. 4 total takeaways in 8 losses isn’t just bad it’s historically one of the worst takeaway performances in history.

ondaedg

Reaction score
The bottom line is that we had a coach that was clueless on how to prepare a team for a game, find mismatches, and manage in games. So when we played teams with blatantly inferior talent, we often looked good and beat them. When we played more evenly matched or clever teams, we struggled and often lost. Simple as that.
The exciting thing about Magic Mike is that I know he can utilize talent and do all those things JG couldn’t, which should equate to several more wins. We’ve had the talent to go much farther nearly every year under JG but didn’t because the teams in the playoffs were better than average and smarter. Now we will have the smarter advantage on our side finally.

yep you got to win those coaching battles to beat the better teams and Garrett was not someone who brought the strategic edge.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Ok, my apologies. I allowed my perception of the way things unfolded last season to be reflected as factual when I should have noted that it was merely my opinion that Garrett stepped in. Also, in no way am I suggesting that Lamb will be the Savior of this offense. My intended point was that I believe Lamb will be a great fit for what it appears Kellen Moore wants this offense to look like.
Lamb is a key addition, and frankly, probably needed.

This offense went into a shell last year at times...I don't really care whose fault it was, and they needed another weapon IMO.

Watch and see....Lamb will become much more of a necessity than luxury before long.

johneric8

Reaction score
Truth!

The saints were completely ripe for us to use screens and dump offs to easily win that game, but Garrett didn't even try. This would of loosened up the saints defense. This showed how bad Garrett was in my opinion. Kellen was forced to keep the ball on the ground by the freckled puppet.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've been re-watching the 2019 games on Game Pass when I'm on the stationary bike and it's amazing how beautiful this offense was early on, before JG made em duck in a shell like a scared turtle.

The game against the Giants alone showed Cobb going in motion from one side to the other and either faking a jet sweep to set up a Zeke run, a Dak run, or another pass. He also was hit on a screen running the same motion.

Watching CeeDee's college tape makes me excited to see him in that role, especially in the early going as he gets acclimated. Dude is a YAC monster, and like Stephen said, "He's so abrupt in and out of cuts and getting up the field once he catches the ball." This is the same thing you see in his college tape. Defenses are going to have no choice but to respect him anytime he motions across whether he receives the handoff right away or is targeted after on a screen, somebody has to stay home on him.

Kellen Moore must've been screaming for this pick when he was there at 17 because honestly, he may be the piece that really opens things up for this offense (even more then it was already).
The game last year that drove me nuts, and may have had a negative effect on the season, was the Saints game. The Cowboys opened up the passing game to start the season with great results. Dak and the entire offense were aggressive and confident. Granted, not the best of competition, but I thought it was setting a great tone.

Then we played the Saints, and Garrett reined in the offense. I suspect with Brees out they felt like they just needed to be conservative and not make mistakes, and of course, they had beat the Saints the year before in a low scoring game even with Brees playing. So, they had an ultra conservative game plan rather than continuing to do what had been working.

In my mind that sent the message that Garrett didn't have confidence in what they were doing, and it sucked the momentum from the offense. Dak was learning to trust his reads and get the ball out, the way Kitna had taught in the offseason, and suddenly he was told not to trust his reads and just check down to the safe throw. The offense was building something, and then was told it wasn't strong enough to continue building.

All this said, I don't absolve Dak and the offense from any blame because they have to be able to execute a game plan and adjust week to week, but they were developing a more aggressive style, and Garrett put up a wall. I'm not sure some of the slow starts after that weren't a result of Garretts mindset of "I don't trust this kind of offense, so you better not make a mistake".

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I think you (and others) might have this mixed up

Dallas Run/Pass ratios for 1st three games
1) 30 Run, 32 Pass.
2) 34 Run, 30 Pass
3) 34 Run, 32 Pass

Overall 98 Run, 94 Pass

About as 50-50 as you can possibly get with a tiny lean towards the run.

And again, the apples and apple comparisons of the New York and Washington games before and after the supposed change show no difference at all in offensive production and run/pass spilts.
It's the first-down percentages that matter. With big leads, they ran in the second half.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score

Week 4, Tony Romo says something to the effect of "This gameplan has Jason Garrett's fingerprints all over it"

There is no rational discussion that doesn't involve JG taking over in one way or another.

ondaedg

Reaction score

Week 4, Tony Romo says something to the effect of "This gameplan has Jason Garrett's fingerprints all over it"

There is no rational discussion that doesn't involve JG taking over in one way or another.

and that has been Garrett’s MO for his entire tenure at Dallas where he would slide back into his natural tendencies to call a more conservative and predictable game plan. He would fix it for a game or two but he always gravitated back to his comfort zone.

DFWJC

Reaction score
It's the first-down percentages that matter. With big leads, they ran in the second half.
They said three things
  1. Garrett did not take over the play-calling or overrule Moore any more than first 3 games
  2. Pass/Run was dictated by what the defense presented
  3. Pass/Run initial play call was 1st option, but depending on defense, Dak could change a los

In either case. In the Saints game--the first game that some said Garrett mythically took over the play-calling--we passed WAY more than we ran. But if some think we should've passed more on first down, they need to take that up with Dak....because as a veteran in his 4th year, he certainly should be able to recognize what the defense is showing.

The thing is, regardless of what some say happened, Dallas continued to destroy low ranking defenses just as much after the supposed switch as before. The results were the same.
It was the better defenses that owned us.

DFWJC

Reaction score

Except one is in theory and hearsay while the other is specific statements by both Dak and Moore saying otherwise.
So again, one would say Dak and Moore are point blank liars, while the other is just make-believe.

Fwiw, I do not at all care either way. But I just don't like calling people liars like that.

If we are using assumptions though--many felt that as Dak kept racking up passing yards on first down, the teams steadily stopped loading the box to stop Zeke at a higher and higher rate.
That would make just as much sense, but also is just theory.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Same theory that Richard called defensive plays when it was good and Marinelli was responsible when it went bad.

Both are baseless and untrue.

DROPS and player mistakes were bigger killers than any offensive scheme last year.

Cobb vs Saints
Cooper vs Packers
Gallup vs Eagles
The whole team vs Jets/Bills/Pats/Bears