Lame Duck Coach

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
he deserved it, didnt earn another deal given the colts game and them no real answer for the Rams..this is what happens when you havnt made a NFCCG in 10years you've been coaching..hes not bad but Jerry wants better, some progress.. do it or lets move on..
I agree, Garrett is not bad, there's a hell of a lot worse and some have been Cowboys HC's.

There's this thing that happens as it did in PHL with Reid and TB with Dungy, time's up. And there's nothing wrong with wanting better as long as you can recognize better as better and not just different. That move paid off for TB, they got their ring and then disintegrated but PHL had an interim stop along the way and made a horrible decision and then compounded giving the wrong HC more control.

Some here are making the mistake of thinking different will be better. Other than Johnson, what's the track record with this brain trust in hiring HC's? Considering the obstacle course the next HC will have to navigate, better be someone really special and heavy on the people skills.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I agree, Garrett is not bad, there's a hell of a lot worse and some have been Cowboys HC's.

There's this thing that happens as it did in PHL with Reid and TB with Dungy, time's up. And there's nothing wrong with wanting better as long as you can recognize better as better and not just different. That move paid off for TB, they got their ring and then disintegrated but PHL had an interim stop along the way and made a horrible decision and then compounded giving the wrong HC more control.

Some here are making the mistake of thinking different will be better. Other than Johnson, what's the track record with this brain trust in hiring HC's? Considering the obstacle course the next HC will have to navigate, better be someone really special and heavy on the people skills.
agreed but its truly run its course and only a SB appearance will save him given some available young guns who might have jerrys eye like the OK coach..

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is nothing more than wishful thinking and selective deductive reasoning but what it really is unawareness of the mind of a man his age.

I am a few years behind him but I think I understand his reluctance to back off. He might if he could get that ring but he's basking in his own relevance. If men here don't think once you cross over into that 70 area it affects you, they should try it. And a man that has accomplished what he has comes face to face with mortality and legacy. The clock is ticking in his head and the score is still Jimmy 2, Booger 0. And he's reminded every time Jimmy shows up in the Metroplex and the local media anoints him all over again. He can make all the money he can but he can't buy that feeling away.

Might sound childish and trivial to us but emotional IQ's are a funny thing. I have a friend that is in his late 70's and has accomplished twice what I could have dreamed of accomplishing and when we get together and have a couple of cocktails, it will eventually get around to comparing himself to his brother and in his mind, he can never measure up. It is a filter he puts over the lens when he looks in the mirror and it is baffling.

This all makes a great deal of sense, but of course, Jerry had to have the ego and need for control and recognition to begin with. Egos are funny things, and as you indicated, can be harder to let go of as we age and try to hold onto what made us feel good about ourselves.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
agreed but its truly run its course and only a SB appearance will save him given some available young guns who might have jerrys eye like the OK coach..
And we know, Booger is a follower. He would love to have the next McVay.

What he fails to recognize is look at the help the Rams gave him. And Belichick's success is dependent on his OL coach.

I hope Moore is effective and I like all of the chatter about his football moxie but this brain trust is short on hiring top flight coaches and that's my reservation about him. It's not him, it's them.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This all makes a great deal of sense, but of course, Jerry had to have the ego and need for control and recognition to begin with. Egos are funny things, and as you indicated, can be harder to let go of as we age and try to hold onto what made us feel good about ourselves.
Omer, I regret retiring 3 years ago because it was all based on emotion and I didn't run the top sports franchise in the country.

Think about being the guy that runs the Dallas Cowboys. That's not a vocation, that's an addiction. Constantly in the spotlight, and this is a man that loves that, your stadium called Booger World, not the actually name of it, and now you're front and center on this CBA negotiation. You are not only relevant, you are important. How does any man give that up but this man loves being the man that owns the Dallas Cowboys. He will never retire as long as he can mentally and physically do it.

Ya know what ole Booger fears? He retires and when his son returns from the first owners' meeting he says " hey Dad, they all asked how you are doing".

Crazy Al wasn't crazy, he was addicted. He didn't know what to do with himself if he wasn't talking about the Raidahs and he did it when he knew he should have backed off. The Raidahs were his lifeline and I think Booger is the same kind of man. It's how they define themselves.

TWOK11

Reaction score
Wade Phillips went 13-3, 9-7, and 11-5 before the fateful season that saw the beginning of the Garrett era. Wade won a playoff game the season before he got fired too.

So explain why Garrett gets such a long leash when Wade's performance was possibly better with similar results?

Wade completely lost his team. His players no longer played hard for him and at that point you have no choice.

That’s never happened to Garrett.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Why doesn’t Jerry go after a high profile HC?

Bring a Dream Team here in front office and coaching staff. There’s no Cap on these positions.

Once you come to grips with this the rest is easier to understand and tolerate.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Wade completely lost his team. His players no longer played hard for him and at that point you have no choice.

That’s never happened to Garrett.
Garrett was as responsible for that catastrophe as Wade was. Both should have been fired.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why doesn’t Jerry go after a high profile HC?

Bring a Dream Team here in front office and coaching staff. There’s no Cap on these positions.

Once you come to grips with this the rest is easier to understand and tolerate.
Because he still suffers the residual effect of Parcells' shadow. Booger had two of the most loved by the media HC's he could bring in which only served to exacerbate his problem. He was better with guys like Campo, Gailey and Phillips, low key HC's not heavy on personality.

Johnson didn't keep him out of the spotlight but Parcells certainly did. He went to school on how Booger really screwed Campo and wasn't buying any of that.

I stopped watching pc's after Parcells, after him it was all downhill and slomo. I have fond memories of the looks Parcells would give that idiot Steve Dennis and I heard the other reporters had bets on the o/u in time before he asked one of his patented stupid questions and got the look. Parcells cut his teeth on the NY media and was one of the few to ever handle them.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Because he still suffers the residual effect of Parcells' shadow. Booger had two of the most loved by the media HC's he could bring in which only served to exacerbate his problem. He was better with guys like Campo, Gailey and Phillips, low key HC's not heavy on personality.

Johnson didn't keep him out of the spotlight but Parcells certainly did. He went to school on how Booger really screwed Campo and wasn't buying any of that.

I stopped watching pc's after Parcells, after him it was all downhill and slomo. I have fond memories of the looks Parcells would give that idiot Steve Dennis and I heard the other reporters had bets on the o/u in time before he asked one of his patented stupid questions and got the look. Parcells cut his teeth on the NY media and was one of the few to ever handle them.
Yes , of course which leads to a bigger point to make.

Does Jerry want to win bad enough to take a back seat in the spotlight with another high profile HC who’d demand more control thus receiving more credit if they win?

Ultimately we have to ask ...Does Jerry want to win if he’s not the face of the Cowboys?

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Does Jerry want to win bad enough to take a back seat in the spotlight with another high profile HC who’d demand more control thus receiving more credit if they win?

Ultimately we have to ask ...Does Jerry want to win if he’s not the face of the Cowboys?
He will not stop being the face of the Cowboys, that ship has sailed. Winning is being the face of the Cowboys. Everything else is just icing.

Ego drive and strength are necessities to success but he crossed over to egocentric. If Garrett were to win it all, it would be more about his belief in him more than Garrett. He would find a way to make it all about himself. He's addicted to himself.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
He will not stop being the face of the Cowboys, that ship has sailed. Winning is being the face of the Cowboys. Everything else is just icing.

Ego drive and strength are necessities to success but he crossed over to egocentric. If Garrett were to win it all, it would be more about his belief in him more than Garrett. He would find a way to make it all about himself. He's addicted to himself.
Agreed..The Cowboys have become about Jerry Jones.

Just taking credit for hiring the right guy like most owners wouldn’t be enough for Jerry?

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
So, once we accept these obstacles Jerry’s obsession with himself presents what’s our best solution to winning without the normal type of front office and coaching staff in the NFL?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So, once we accept these obstacles Jerry’s obsession with himself presents what’s our best solution to winning without the normal type of front office and coaching staff in the NFL?
This is the baggage that every Cowboys fan has to accept or don't get on the train. And it's not like he sprung this on us, he's been this way for a long time.

ShortRound

Reaction score

Jerry's dug in too deep into his belief that he can win with any coach. We just have to hope Garrett somehow wins, or Stephen cleans house once Jerry passes.

I don't see Jerry getting a legit coaching staff in his lifetime.

TWOK11

Reaction score
Garrett was as responsible for that catastrophe as Wade was. Both should have been fired.

And yet when Garrett took over, we finished 5-3 including beating two playoff teams. And without Romo no less.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
I think it was Bum Phillips who said "There are two types of coaches in the NFL. Those who have been fired and those who will be fired."
Yes! I'd caught a repeat viewing of it ,a while back,when Jonny Carson had him on soon after he got the axe from the oilers,,,o_O

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
And yet when Garrett took over, we finished 5-3 including beating two playoff teams. And without Romo no less.
Yea makes you wonder since he was in complete control of the offense. Of course his true coaching turned up the following 3 years anyone of which should have gotten him fired.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ya know, let me offer myself up for ridicule. I think Garrett is a good coach. Not a great coach but I don't see many of those around and none available. That said, I wouldn't object to a change but I do not assume that will be a positive change.

This is kind of like that old debate about Dak that I couldn't get a good answer to, if not him, then what HC will it be? Sean Payton? Is he that great? Really? He's a good offensive mind but is he a great HC? Want Riley from OU? The Big 12, they view defense as some guys we have to have to call it a team. And there again, he's an offensive guy.

And while I am on Payton, do me a favor, if you get the chance. Take a look at how he handled the play calling at the end of that Rams game. That PI didn't cost them the game, his play calling did. If that had been the Cowboys with Garrett, this site would have brought the internet down.

So, you good with Marinelli or Richard as the DC with an offensive HC pulling double duty? Because the Rams were smart and got McVay one of the best DC's in the league.

Oh wait, you think the Joneses are going to let this new HC hire his own crew? Don't think so. And Riley is in the same boat as Kingsbury, he doesn't know any NFL guys. Which would make him the perfect choice so the Joneses can fill out the coaching staff.

So, until something better comes along, I can live with Garrett because I do give him credit with getting through to Booger about the foundation. I think Garrett is one of those good voices in Booger's ear. And he's not as bad a sideline coach as he used to be so I do think he could bring in that 6th ring, under the right circumstances.