Lance: 5th Year Option Declined

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Here's the deal, rather Lance lights it up or duds, he will take Dak's place for a year at least. Dak is at the top of his earning bracket, but he isn't a difference maker. He's good, but he isn't a quarter of the salary cap good. Younger cheaper options would and should be sought after, beginning with Trey, if he isn't decent, draft one or two until you do. With the salary cap, and the lack of great quarterbacks available, the new way is going to be build a great team, and find young cheaper QBs.
Trey Lance gains no significant NFL experience while on the same roster with Dak Prescott. That is reality. Have the Cowboys indicated any overt intention of changing that fact? No. Any conversation about Lance being good or a dud is pointless as long as Dak is on the roster. So Lance, at this point, really doesn’t matter.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
I think I gotta agree. He may very well turn out to be nothing. But a 4th rounder isnt the end of the world. Would it have been nice to have a 4th this year for a RB? Sure. But I think it's worth the gamble.
Can't have it both ways. You either try to find the next franchise QB or don't. The problem is, they do it half assed. They should have drafted a QB each year for ages. Then I wouldn't care about trying something else every now and then. This way it just looks like a sorry arse excuse for "doing something".

Still, a fourth was worth the risk, even though we now know they're not smarter than the 49ers FO. (Ok, we knew that before but you know what I mean lol)

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Can't have it both ways. You either try to find the next franchise QB or don't. The problem is, they do it half assed. They should have drafted a QB each year for ages. Then I wouldn't care about trying something else every now and then. This way it just looks like a sorry arse excuse for "doing something".

Still, a fourth was worth the risk, even though we now know they're not smarter than the 49ers FO. (Ok, we knew that before but you know what I mean lol)
I'm hoping he at least gets a good amount of reps during camp/preseason. Would like to see how much of a bust he really is. Who knows, maybe he plays better in game situations than in practice/workouts.

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
Trey Lance gains no significant NFL experience while on the same roster with Dak Prescott. That is reality. Have the Cowboys indicated any overt intention of changing that fact? No. Any conversation about Lance being good or a dud is pointless as long as Dak is on the roster. So Lance, at this point, really doesn’t matter.
Like Jordan Love didn't gain no significant experience with Aaron Rogers on the roster, or like Patrick Mahomes didn't get no significant experience with Alex Smith on the roster? If a QB has the physical and mental abilities to play QB at a high level, plus getting to see how a professional prepares in front of him is an advantage, studying a playbook without the pressure of performing right away is an advantage. I keep saying it Lance's wonderlic score was amongst the 90 percentiles, he needed time to adjust to the speed of the professional game, 49ers couldn't give him that. He gets that here.