Lance: 5th Year Option Declined

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, if you think you can just flush draft picks down the toilet without consequence that's on you. I disagree strongly with that philosophy.

Yes, blowing 4th round draft picks can and do set teams back.
Taking a young QB on a 4th, most certainly is NOT flushing....if it is..then it's like almost every other draft pick spot.

I wonder if any 1st round qb's busted out....hmmm...thinking....:huh:

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Tampa? Again? Beating losers is what we do. When we have to play REAL adept playoff games...we get whipped.

Tampa was so bad many called for losing teams to be exempted form automatic bids.

"bu bu but BRADYYYYYYY!" right? :laugh::lmao::lmao2:
Oh, how damn funny that others have to fall back on beating a geriatric QB on a bad team that should never of been in the playoffs. These jokers will do anything to try and elevate the Dakster. How embarrassing! lol.

And then the real funny stuff, Dak made Brady retire!

rambo2

Reaction score
he has played. there was tape. there was NFL scouting on him. should not have traded. rumor is other teams were at best offering low 5s....Jerry had to win this hand.
and it is wasted. he was 3rd stringer. lets give him excuses why he couldn't unseat Rush a very limited QB. then his 5th year option didn't get picked up. which means this is his last year, playing behind Dak.
so we traded a 4th rounder, for a 3rd stringer.....AWSOME
They feel that Lance is better than a current 2nd round pick. We should see that in preseason play and they will probably make an offer to him for a contract extension.

rambo2

Reaction score
Cowboys had a 2nd round grade on him and he went high in the 1st. He plays the most important position in all of sports. It was just a 4th rounder to get him. Seems like a pretty reasonable cost. If he turns out to be a player it was worth it. If he doesn't, it was just a 4th. Draft picks are about acquiring talent. Yes Jerry is a fool but I don't see how trading for Lance proves it.
They think that they do have a player. It will be fun watching him play in preseason.

Flamma

Reaction score
I just don't think a 4th rounder was that big of a deal. We ended up getting an extra 3rd anyway. I think it had zero impact on our draft. But I can't criticize those that don't like the trade if Lance never plays a read down for the team. It's a waste. But my point is, how much does it matter? Not a lot.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Tampa? Again? Beating losers is what we do. When we have to play REAL adept playoff games...we get whipped.

Tampa was so bad many called for losing teams to be exempted form automatic bids.

"bu bu but BRADYYYYYYY!" right? :laugh::lmao::lmao2:
like I said, let your spin begin...on cue!

too funny

and seattle? let that spin begin

quickccc

Reaction score
Did anyone think they would pick up a $22Mil tab? Doesn't mean he's leaving.
Doesn't mean Lance is staying either.
Could the Cowboys and Lance agree to terms on a new deal in 2025 ? One that is Cap Boy friendly to Stephen ?

Lance does not seem to have much market value around the NFL , so he'd still have to agree to be primary backup
and i get impression that the club covets more physical tools than what physically limited Cooper Rush offers.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
he’s our future QB1.

That’s the plan.

He’s the reason Dak will be leaving us soon.
That’s the plan? That’s the Cowboys’ plan? Wasn’t that the 49ers’ plan? The Cowboys don’t have a plan to even get him on the field. If Dak is not in the Cowboys’ future why don’t they cut him and get Lance in a game? If he’s the “plan” when do the Cowboys intend to execute the plan? The fact is the Cowboys have no plan. They know what Dak did last season and can’t decide what they’re going to do with him. But, you’re saying they know that a guy who has started four games in three years is going to be their starting quarterback? That’s what you’re suggesting? Are you serious or being sarcastic?

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
That’s the plan? That’s the Cowboys’ plan? Wasn’t that the 49ers’ plan? The Cowboys don’t have a plan to even get him on the field. If Dak is not in the Cowboys’ future why don’t they cut him and get Lance in a game? If he’s the “plan” when do the Cowboys intend to execute the plan? The fact is the Cowboys have no plan. They know what Dak did last season and can’t decide what they’re going to do with him. But, you’re saying they know that a guy who has started four games in three years is going to be their starting quarterback? That’s what you’re suggesting? Are you serious or being sarcastic?
Here's the deal, rather Lance lights it up or duds, he will take Dak's place for a year at least. Dak is at the top of his earning bracket, but he isn't a difference maker. He's good, but he isn't a quarter of the salary cap good. Younger cheaper options would and should be sought after, beginning with Trey, if he isn't decent, draft one or two until you do. With the salary cap, and the lack of great quarterbacks available, the new way is going to be build a great team, and find young cheaper QBs.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Sure makes the trade seem stupid.
They skipped the 5th year which would be a lot of money. They can have him for a much cheaper new deal. Because nobody expects him to play this year and so he wont be able to up his market value.

But please explain your logic. Maybe i am missing something.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
That’s the plan? That’s the Cowboys’ plan? Wasn’t that the 49ers’ plan?
Well i dont know what our plan is. And i agree with you: i dont know about our plan because in reality the Joneses have no real plan at QB.

But please explain why the 49ers should have kept Lance ? They already have a better QB than Prescott so they dont need Lance to be better than him. We on the other side need a better QB than Prescott.

The Cowboys don’t have a plan to even get him on the field. If Dak is not in the Cowboys’ future why don’t they cut him and get Lance in a game?
I think that is easy to answer. Dak keeps us in competition during meaningless games and so in the media. What the Joneses cant afford is a tanking season, be like 3-14. The risk is high if you cut Prescott and let an unproven QB start.
So the answer is easy: Revenue.

kskboys

Reaction score
They skipped the 5th year which would be a lot of money. They can have him for a much cheaper new deal. Because nobody expects him to play this year and so he wont be able to up his market value.

But please explain your logic. Maybe i am missing something.
No problem.

If you're going to give up picks for a player, then you should play him. In this scenario, we gave up the pick, but then we only have him thru 24, and Dak is still here, so why trade for him in the first place?

Cheaper deal: Only if he wants to, as he will now be a FA after this year. If we weren't going to be able to afford his 5th year option, and he's not going to play anyway, then I'd like to hear the opposite from you. Why make the trade in the first place?

TwentyOne

Reaction score
No problem.

If you're going to give up picks for a player, then you should play him. In this scenario, we gave up the pick, but then we only have him thru 24, and Dak is still here, so why trade for him in the first place?

Cheaper deal: Only if he wants to, as he will now be a FA after this year. If we weren't going to be able to afford his 5th year option, and he's not going to play anyway, then I'd like to hear the opposite from you. Why make the trade in the first place?
Backup QB with slight potential for a starting role. Easily and cheap to extend beyond 24. Competition for your starting QB. Leverage in contract talks with Dak.
There are so many reasons to trade for a QB.

QB is the most important position. You have to spent resources for it. And a 4th for a QB is always a good investment.

To your argument: you often dont play your backup QB. Still you trade for one/aquire one thru FA or pick one in the draft.

And of course only if he wants to. And i think they already talked to him about their plan. And i dont think right now he has a lot of leverage.

I dont think good about our FO but this to me is a no brainer. Good move by them.

Last edited:

kskboys

Reaction score
Backup QB with slight potential for a starting role.
QB is the most important position. You have to spent resources for it. And a 4th for a QB is always a good investment.

to your argument: you often dont play your backup QB. Still you trade for one/aquire one thru FA or pick one in the draft.

And of course only if he wants to. And i think they already talked to him about their plan. And i dont think right now he has a lot of leverage.

I dont think good about our FO but this to me is a no brainer. Good move by them.
I don't mind a 4th, doesn't really matter all that much. In essence, we gave up a 4th for a 1 1/2 yr backup. I don't mind that much if that's the story. However, if he can't beat out Rush, then the trade doesn't make sense.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
I don't mind a 4th, doesn't really matter all that much. In essence, we gave up a 4th for a 1 1/2 yr backup. I don't mind that much if that's the story. However, if he can't beat out Rush, then the trade doesn't make sense.

You dont know that he wont be here in 25.We didnt took the 5th year option because we can have him much cheaper by handing him a new deal.

It also was expected that he wont compete with rush in 23.
This year will the year where he has to take the backup role and show at least potential to cover that role in the future. From that we will decide what to do with him. Let him go in 25 or give him a new deal.

Swagger

Reaction score
Oh, how damn funny that others have to fall back on beating a geriatric QB on a bad team that should never of been in the playoffs. These jokers will do anything to try and elevate the Dakster. How embarrassing! lol.

And then the real funny stuff, Dak made Brady retire!
:lmao: