Last Pick: Alan Ball CB, Illinois

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
eduncan22;1479407 said:
I would be surprised if both of them even make the team.

This is a very disappointing draft.

I cant tell you how disappointed I am.

Yeah I think most of us have noticed that with your other 100 negative posts bout' the draft :cool:

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;1479428 said:
I think its well beyond time to add you to the ignore list.

I would like to thank you for making the 2007 Draft an unenjoyable one for me..

How come he's not on your little Hall Of Fame posters like me and the others that you have listed?

:laugh2:

Spurs21Cowboys22

Reaction score
Teague31;1479332 said:
Anyone know him?

Yeah. I'm very familiar with him. He has a chance to make this team, but he needs to bulk up.

He's a decent corner, but gets beat deep when he tries for too many interceptions. He tries for the big hit tackle and tends to miss tackles because of it. He was our second corner this year and started opposite a true freshman (Vontae Davis, who is the baby bro of Vernon Davis). I think Ball's best chance will be on the practice squad to develop more.

He's played against a lot of good competition, but he's been highly criticized here. However, our defense improved a ton this past season. A good amount of the die-hard student section wanted him benched. Personally, I find him to be a tough-nosed kid who likes to stick his head in the action. If he makes the team, it will be as a gunner on special teams. I've met him before and I'm definitely pulling for him!

Spurs21Cowboys22

Reaction score
A message from Alan Ball:

"I'm a Dallas Cowboy......

Partyin tonight as a Cowboy......

And my B.A.D.S.T. #21!!!!!! "Spring 2007" is wit me!!!!!"

Just hope he doesn't burn himself out before he gets to Big D....

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
otero1;1479357 said:
271015.jpeg
He seriously needs to step away from the salad bar.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
eduncan22;1479407 said:
I would be surprised if both of them even make the team.

This is a very disappointing draft.

I cant tell you how disappointed I am.

But you'll be cranking out 50 posts trying...

sago1

Reaction score
Was totally surprised by this pick. I think the Cowboys just ran out of steam and grabbed him. If he's got any talent, maybe he makes the PS but that's the best he can expect. As I heard on DCFanatic.com, this kid should still away from the salad bar. He should also sit beside FS Pat Watkins at the table cause both need add bulk/muscle.

PJCOWBOYS

Reaction score
Seventh Round: 'Boys Select CB

Alan Ball By TheRanchReport.com

Posted Apr 29, 2007

With their final pick in the 2007 NFL Draft, the Dallas Cowboys drafted Illinois cornerback Alan Ball.

SCOUT.COM DRAFT RANKING: No. 25 (Cornerback)

SCOUTING REPORT: CB Alan Ball
BIO: Four-year starter who posted career totals of 62/1/11 last season after 55/1/5 as a junior.

POSITIVE: Tall, thin cover corner who plays heads-up football. Effective facing the action, works well with safeties and quickly breaks on the ball. Reads the action, displays a good degree of suddenness to his game and fast up the field defending the run. Gives effort in all aspects of the game.

NEGATIVE: Not strong at the point, has tackles broken and loses out in battles. Struggles staying with receivers out from their breaks.

FINAL ANALYSIS: A developing corner who’s shown a lot of promise, Ball is a late-round selection who could be used as a nickel or dime back for a variety of defensive systems.
http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=64&p=2&c=640036

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alan Ball gets drafted in 7th
Illinois cornerback taken by Dallas midway through draft's final round
By Courtney Linehan

Posted: 4/30/07 Section: Sports

Former Illinois cornerback Alan Ball keeps his eyes on former Ohio State receiver Ted Ginn Jr. on Nov. 4 at Memorial Stadium. The Dallas Cowboys drafted Ball in the seventh round with the 237th pick on Sunday. Ginn Jr. went No. 9 in the draft's first round on Saturday to the Miami Dolphins.

62gu6a76.jpg

Illinois cornerback Alan Ball was on the phone with his agent discussing free agency options midway through the seventh round of the NFL draft when he got a call on the other line.

"As we're talking about it, my phone clicked, and it was the Cowboys," Ball said Sunday afternoon. "I'd never even heard from the Cowboys. It was definitely a surprise."

Dallas' legendary pro football team took Ball in the seventh round of the 2007 draft, selecting him No. 237 overall. Ball was the only Illini player drafted this year; the last Illini picked in the draft were cornerback Kelvin Hayden and offensive lineman Duke Preston in 2005.

Illinois running back Pierre Thomas was picked up as a free agent with the New Orleans Saints, where former teammate Steve Weatherford is the starting punter.

The Cowboys picked fellow Big Ten player Anthony Spencer, a defensive end from Purdue, with their first-round pick. Northern Illinois offensive tackle Doug Free went to the Cowboys in the fourth round.

Dallas selected two corners in the seventh round, also picking up Courtney Brown from Cal Poly.

Ball said many players would rather be free agents than late-seventh round picks, because as a free agent they have some say in what franchise they join. He said Chicago and Green Bay had both expressed interest in signing him after the draft. But Ball said he likes the way Dallas uses its corners and thinks he'll fit well into the Cowboys' scheme.

"They have aggressive corners," Ball said. "I know I could be a good fit for them."

Ball, who said he spent most of Sunday "sleeping with one eye open watching the TV," was a four-year starter for the Illini. In 2006 he ranked third in the Big Ten in passes defended in conference games, and in 2005 and 2006 coaches named him the team's Outstanding Defensive Back.

Ball earned honorable mention All-Big Ten honors in 2006. He finished his career at Illinois with 22 PBUs, eighth on Illinois' all-time list.

Before leaving for Dallas, Ball said he plans to meet with Illinois coach Ron Zook to discuss areas the college coach thinks he should work on improving.

"I definitely need to go back, talk to Coach Zook, get feedback from him on what areas I need to work on," Ball said.

Illinois won only eight games during the last four seasons, but Ball refused to speculate on whether that hurt him in the selection process. He acknowledged that winning teams get more attention, but he said the draft ended the way he hoped it would.

"I had the opportunity to go make a squad, and that's what I wanted," Ball said.
http://media.www.dailyillini.com/me...s/Alan-Ball.Gets.Drafted.In.7th-2887829.shtml

eduncan22

Benched
Reaction score
sago1;1480744 said:
Was totally surprised by this pick. I think the Cowboys just ran out of steam and grabbed him. If he's got any talent, maybe he makes the PS but that's the best he can expect. As I heard on DCFanatic.com, this kid should still away from the salad bar. He should also sit beside FS Pat Watkins at the table cause both need add bulk/muscle.

We beg Jerry for Corner help, and this is what we get?

Is this some kind of joke?

I'm sure he's a great kid, but he was at the bottom of the list.