Latest Cowboys report from FoxSports

StarMan2112

Reaction score
Defensive end Chris Canty, who fell to the fourth round because of knee and eye injuries, had successful surgery to remove scar tissue from his left eye. Although he won't participate in the club's minicamp this week (May 27-29), owner Jerry Jones thinks he has an opportunity to be ready for training camp. The scar tissue is the result of surgery he had earlier in the year to repair a detached retina that occurred when he was hit in the eye with a glass bottle during a bar fight in Phoenix, where he was preparing for the draft. . . .

Owner Jerry Jones said he's not upset with second-round pick Kevin Burnett or the player's agent after he had arthroscopic surgery to remove bone spurs from his hip without informing the club first. Burnett had a slight issue with his groin that was diagnosed at the scouting combine in February, but it didn't cause the Cowboys any concern, and he participated in the three-day rookie minicamp without any problems three weeks ago. After rookie camp, he went to see the doctor to check on the groin. They did some additional evaluation and decided to remove some bone spurs. Burnett will not participate in drills during the three-day veteran minicamp, which begins next Friday. But Jones said he expects Burnett to be ready for the start of training camp, and the surgery will have no impact on his contract negotiations. . . .

Coach Bill Parcells says he's still not sure what the Cowboys' base scheme will be, but they will spend their minicamp using the 3-4 as their primary defense. Parcells said he will use the 3-4 and the 4-3 this season, but he wants to see how the offseason parts fit into the 3-4. It will be interesting to see how the Cowboys use LaRoi Glover, who's undersized in the 3-4, and Jason Ferguson, who received a $9 million signing bonus, because each is a nose tackle in the 3-4.

SCOUTING REPORT: The Cowboys are designing their defense for Roy Williams to be a force again. Injuries forced Williams to play free safety, and the coaching staff's lack of confidence in their cornerbacks forced him 15-20 yards off the line of scrimmage so he could help against the deep ball. Williams, who has been to the past two Pro Bowls, is best when he's near the line of scrimmage and can be a disruptive force against the run. He has excellent instincts and is physical enough to take on blockers and still make plays. He's a devastating hitter, capable of changing the complexion of a game with one play. He's not as good in coverage because he has average speed and can be fooled on play-action because of his desire to make plays against the run.

POSITION BATTLE: The most hotly contested position in training camp will probably be free safety, especially because Dallas has passed on a couple of veterans the past three weeks. Lynn Scott started nine of the past 10 games at free safety, but he's going to have to compete with Keith Davis for the starting job. The Cowboys have moved Davis from strong safety to free safety, giving him a chance to earn a starting job. Davis excelled on special teams last season and changed coach Bill Parcells' perception of him in the process. Davis, entering his third season, has never started a game, but the Cowboys like his instincts, tackling and big-play potential. Scott is another good special teams player who understands the defense and has ability to make big plays.

SAFETY ANALYSIS: Grade: D. This grade has nothing to do with Roy Williams, who is a star. But there is no proven starter at free safety and no depth behind Williams. An injury to Williams would be catastrophic.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Nors said:
We Are Going Into Camp As A Base 3-4 - Sweet

Only you could read, "Coach Bill Parcells says he's still not sure what the Cowboys' base scheme will be, but they will spend their minicamp using the 3-4 as their primary defense. Parcells said he will use the 3-4 and the 4-3 this season, but he wants to see how the offseason parts fit into the 3-4," and assume it means more than seeing which defense we will be best at.

notherbob

Reaction score
My guess would be that they will come out in the 4-3 against first down but after that, anything goes.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
StarMan said:
Coach Bill Parcells says he's still not sure what the Cowboys' base scheme will be
Like I've said all year, the first defensive snap in San Deigo we will be in a 4-3.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nors said:
That is NOT what the article says. Go back and reread it. Twisting the article around to suit your premise only weakens your argument.

Little Jr

Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
That is NOT what the article says. Go back and reread it. Twisting the article around to suit your premise only weakens your argument.

Well it does say "they will spend their minicamp using the 3-4 as their primary defense"

Primary to me means base. Not for the season or TC but for mini camp. Some people just seem like they hate the fact that Nors may be right.

Just for fun. Not trying to start anything but I'll make a friendly bet we will start the season in a 3-4.

HeHateMe

Displaced but Dedicated
Reaction score
On Williams:

"He's a devastating hitter, capable of changing the complexion of a game with one play."

Exactly why he is more valuable than a Brian Dawkins or Sean Taylor.

Neither have that ability.

CanadaBoys

Reaction score
StarMan said:
SAFETY ANALYSIS: Grade: D. This grade has nothing to do with Roy Williams, who is a star. But there is no proven starter at free safety and no depth behind Williams. An injury to Williams would be catastrophic.

They got this one right.... we really need to add another starter and pick our depth from the rest... or smack that CB talk out of Hunter's mouth and move him..... seriously, why even give him a choice... I say you play FS or you sit on the bech for the whole year without coming near the field.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
Killa Killa

6269.jpg

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
HeHateMe said:
On Williams:

"He's a devastating hitter, capable of changing the complexion of a game with one play."

Exactly why he is more valuable than a Brian Dawkins or Sean Taylor.

Neither have that ability.
I agree, but Ike Hilliard might disagree with your opinion. ;)

CanadaBoys

Reaction score
DallasEast said:
I agree, but Ike Hilliard might disagree with your opinion. ;)

Ike Hilliard is lucky if he even knows what state his in anymore... Everytime i see him play he's getting creamed by someone.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Nors said:

You're a numbnutt! Where does it say the Cowboys will use the 3-4 as a BASE defense? The article indicates we will be using a 3-4 .... A-N-D.... a 4-3. :rolleyes: :nana:

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Nors said:

Well, he's a One Trick Pony
One trick was all that horse could do
He does that one trick only
It's the principal source of his revenue...

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
blindzebra said:
Only you could read, "Coach Bill Parcells says he's still not sure what the Cowboys' base scheme will be, but they will spend their minicamp using the 3-4 as their primary defense. Parcells said he will use the 3-4 and the 4-3 this season, but he wants to see how the offseason parts fit into the 3-4," and assume it means more than seeing which defense we will be best at.

Why are you still responding to Nors?
We ARE going to camp as a base 3-4 team.

You were right in many ways but wrong about the end result in this case.
Let it go and move on for chrissakes.

No one wants to read you and Nors bicker and whine for another 55 pages.
This is a very public acknowledgement of this issue. I have no intention of playign 3rd grade hall monitor for another 2 months.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Nors said:
Nors,
You were absolutely right about the 3-4.
I agreed then and I do now.
To me is was pretty clear what was going to happen and it has.
Some may not agree but it doesn't matter, when the games start we will play a lot more 3-4 than anything else.
You are NOT going to impress anyone by constantly bringing it up.

So please just forget about it.
It is a fairly sophomoric argument that will be proven without doubt in a few months so stop wasting everyone's time arguing about it.

DO NOT make me be an ART.
Thanks.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
devman90 said:
*** is an ART?
lol. the short version is...
Art is a term meant to describe an overzealous mod who indiscrimately bans people.

Mash

Reaction score
"Scott is another good special teams player who understands the defense and has ability to make big plays"

Is it just me but I found that kinda funny.......Scott making big plays.....oh well.

IMHO....on running plays usually 1st downs....I think we may play the a 4-3 scheme......you will see the 3-4 on 2nd and 3rd downs unless of course its short yardage.

We have the personall to change on the fly. Its about time we make the offence guessing.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
jterrell said:
I have no intention of playign 3rd grade hall monitor for another 2 months.
How insulting for you to insinuate that this message board is of a 3rd grade mentality.

I have always felt this board was of a 7th-8th grade mentality.

A few are like 7th or 8th grade girls at a slumber party. :banghead: