Latest Nors Board

31WillHammerU

Reaction score
Nors said:
Rogers is a verry iffy pick for us at 11 or 20.
I have Rogers as an early 2nd round pick. He ding's out of practice and did you see him with his pads off on ESPN? Birdman! Concave chest - he didn't look like he has a NFL ready body - lets see at Combine.

Carlos has it covered: Auburn’s Rogers has raised game at cornerback to higher level

By Joe Medley
Star Sports Writer
10-22-2004

AUBURN — Carlos Rogers has not disappeared.

The senior cornerback has merely cut the field in half for the rest of Auburn’s defense, and turned his half into a no-fly zone.

Of 196 passes thrown by Auburn’s opponents this season, 45 have been thrown to receivers covered by Rogers. That’s 23 percent.

Of 45 passes thrown at Rogers, 11 went for completions. That’s 25 percent.

Some of those 11 completions come with caveats.

“Some of the balls that have been caught on his side have been during zone coverage, where he was laying off,” Auburn defensive coordinator and secondary coach Gene Chizik said. “That doesn’t mean he wasn’t backing off. It could’ve been LSU at the end of the game. It depends on what the situation is.”

When the situation is straight-up man-to-man coverage, Rogers has established his reputation as a “lockdown corner.”

Former Wisconsin receiver Lee Evans found out in last season’s Music City Bowl. Rogers knocked two passes away from Evans, one in the end zone. Safety Will Herring caught the other tap for an interception.

Evans outjumped Rogers for a touchdown pass, but managed four catches for 51 yards on the day. Rogers got attention by winning more than he lost against an eventual first-round NFL draft pick.

So much so, that we haven’t seen much of Rogers this season. His challenge is to stay alert.

“I stay on my techniques and stay on my assignments,” he said. “That’s where they’re going to try to trip me up, by not throwing at me then trying to hit with a big play.”

Besides, there are more ways for Rogers to stay involved.

He has put on nearly 35 pounds during his Auburn stay, so he doesn’t mind hurling his 200-pound body into ball carriers on running plays.

“That portion of his game, he’s definitely brought to another level,” Chizik said. “... He’s beating blocks. He’s a physical player, so it is hard for people to block him. It’s certainly hard to block him if that block has to hold up for two or three seconds.”

Then there are special teams. Rogers volunteered for all of them this season.

His most visible roles are as gunner on the punt team and blocking the gunner on punt returns.

“In our punt coverage, he’s made the difference,” special-teams coordinator Eddie Gran said. “... Where we got hurt was at that position last year. He’s making the difference, getting the guy to stop where our net can come down, and they can cover. We’ve made more open-field tackles with those guys down there than we ever have.”

Link

38" Verical
4.37 Forty
"Pit Bull" Mentality
Plays hurt
Volunteers for Special Teams

Hey Nor, :zipit:

Bobo

Reaction score
I always thought of Rogers above Webster, that article helps solidify that idea some ;)

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Nors said:
http://www.draftboardinsider.com/players/CB/rogers-c.html

GOOD WRITE UP ON Rogers - this site has him at 4.45 Webster at 4.38

I think these two in round 2 would be upgrades, 11 and 20 way to high for us to consider a CB.

I agree with that. There are a lot of good CBs in this draft. We can get one in the second round. I wouldn't touch Webster though. I see Webster and the name "Goodrich" comes to mind. No thanks.

By the way, still waiting for that quote.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Day 1

Merriman
Spears

Webster in Round 2
Ware - via Trade down in 1

Webster
16 career interceptions
50 career passes defensed

3 time All SEC
2 Time All American

Webster, Daniels, Spears set to Play in Senior Bowl
Football (01/14/2005)

Corey Webster capped his LSU career ranked second in school history with 16 interceptions.

BATON ROUGE -- LSU defensive standouts Travis Daniels, Marcus Spears and Corey Webster have been invited and will participate in the Senior Bowl, which will be held in Mobile, Ala., on Saturday, Jan. 29, the all star game has announced.

Kickoff for the contest is set for 3 p.m. at Ladd-Peebles Stadium in Mobile. The game will be televised to a national audience by ESPN.

The LSU trio combined to be a part of the best four-year stretch in school history as the Tigers claimed 40 victories to go along with a pair of Southeastern Conference Titles and the 2003 BCS National Championship.

Webster, a two-time All-America cornerback from Vacherie, La., capped his LSU career ranked second in school history with 16 interceptions. After seeing action as a wide receiver as a rookie in 2001, Webster shifted to defensive back in 2002, where he intercepted seven passes in back-to-back seasons.

Webster earned First Team All-America honors from American Football Coaches Association in 2003 and 2004, while being named First Team All-SEC three times during his career.

Spears, a consensus First Team All-America at defensive end in 2004, capped his LSU career with 19 sacks and 34.5 tackles for losses. The 19 sacks rank fifth in school history, while the 34.5 tackles for losses is seventh-highest total at the school. Spears dominated as a senior, totaling 49 tackles, 17 tackles for losses and nine sacks on his way to earning a spot on nearly every All-America team.

Daniels, a cornerback from Hollywood, Fla., started in the secondary for the Tigers for two years, finishing his career with 110 tackles, two interceptions and a pair of sacks.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Kid has his head on - graduated last August.

COREY WEBSTER

Number: 13
Position: CB
Ht.: 6-0
Class: Sr.
Experience: 3L
Hometown: Vacherie, La.
High School: St. James HS
Birthday: 03/02
Major: business administration

(updated 1/21/05)

2004 First-Team All-America (American Football Coaches Assocation, Sporting News)
2004 Second-Team All-America (Walter Camp)
2004 First-Team All-SEC (AP)
2004 Second-Team All-SEC (SEC Coaches)
2004 Thorpe Award Semifinalist
2004 SEC Defensive Player of the Week (vs. Mississippi State)
2003 First-Team All-America (America Football Coaches Association)
2003 Second-Team All-America (Associated Press, Sports Illustrated, Collegefootballnews.com)
2003 First-Team All-SEC (AP, Coaches, ESPN.com, Collegefootballnews.com)
2003 SEC Defensive Player of the Week (vs. Georgia)
2003 Thorpe Award Semifinalist
2002 First-Team All-SEC (AP, Coaches, Sporting News)
2002 National Defensive Player of the Week (vs. Florida)
2002 SEC Defensive Player of the Week (vs. Florida)

SENIOR SEASON (2004)
One of the most decorated defensive backs in school history ... A two-time first-team All-America at cornerback for the Tigers ... A three-time first-team All-SEC selection ... Twice named a semifinalist for the Thorpe Award, which goes to college football's top defensive back ... Played in 11 games with 10 starts in 2004 ... Injured in season-opener against Oregon State and stayed banged up all year ... Registered 33 tackles and 2 interceptions in 2004 ... Ran career interception total to 16, which ranks as the second-highest total in school history ... Named SEC Defensive Player of the Week for his performance against Mississippi State on Sept. 25 ... In that game, had 2 tackles, forced 1 fumble, recovered a fumble and intercepted a pass in the 51-0 LSU victory ... Finished season with 8 pass breakups ... Also played on offense early in the season ... Caught a 6-yard TD pass in win over Arkansas State in week 2 ... Graduated in August of 2004 with a degree in general studies ... Invited to play in the 2005 Senior Bowl on Jan. 29 in Mobile, Ala.

JUNIOR SEASON (2003)
One of the nation's top cover cornerbacks, even though it was just his second year on the defensive side of the football ... A First-Team All-America pick by the American Football Coaches Association in 2003 and a Second-Team All-America by the Associated Press ... Semifinalist for Thorpe Awards as college football's top defensive back ... Played and started in all 14 games for the Tigers ... Ranked second in the SEC with seven interceptions, running his career total to 14, which is the second-highest total in LSU history ... Had 46 tackles, 36 of which were solo ... Ranked second in the SEC with 25 pass breakups ... Added 3.5 tackles for losses and one quarterback sack ... Recovered a fumble in win over Louisiana Tech ... Capped season with two pass breakups and an interception, which set up LSU's first TD, in the Tigers' 21-14 win over Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl ... Had nine tackles, intercepted a pass and broke up five more passes in first win over Georgia on Sept. 20 ... Named both National and SEC Defensive Player of the Week for his efforts in that win ... Intercepted Eli Manning in a 17-14 win over Ole Miss and had a pair of picks in the 55-24 win over Arkansas to clinch the SEC Western Division title ... In all, intercepted four passes in LSU's final four games.

SOPHOMORE SEASON (2002)
Played in all 13 games with five starts ... Started at cornerback in LSU's nickel package against Miami (Ohio), South Carolina and Alabama and then started at cornerback in LSU's regular defense against Texas in the Cotton Bowl ... Led SEC with seven interceptions ... Tied a school-record with three interceptions in a 36-7 victory at Florida ... Returned one of those picks at Florida 45 yards for a touchdown ... Returned seven interceptions for 75 yards ... Finished season with 36 tackles, including 31 solo ... Added 17 PBU's and four quarterback hurries ... Had one tackle for a 4-yard loss and forced one fumble ... Earned the SEC Player of the Week honors for his three interceptions and three tackles at Florida ... Also received two national Player of the Week honors for that performance ... Recorded a season-high eight tackles against Ole Miss ... Converted from a wide receiver to play in the defensive backfield in 2002 ... Caught seven passes for 74 yards as a receiver in 2001 and had two catches in the 2002 Sugar Bowl.

FRESHMAN SEASON (2001)
Player who stepped in a made a contribution to the Tigers in 2001 ... Played in all 13 games ... Caught seven passes for 74 yards during the regular season ... Caught two passes for 14 yards vs. Illinois in the Sugar Bowl ... Had a season-long 30-yard reception down to the Alabama 1-yard line that setup a touchdown for the Tigers ... Caught two passes for 24 yards vs. Florida and had two catches for 10 yards vs. Middle Tennessee.

HIGH SCHOOL
Honorable Mention Class 3A All-State ... Member of The Advocate Second Dozen, Tiger Rag Dirty Dozen and Times Picayune Top 24 Blue Chip List ... District Offensive MVP ... Exceptional two-sport athlete in football and basketball... Passed for more than 1,000 yards and rushed for an additional 500 yards and 10 touchdowns as a senior ... Led his team to a 32-8 record in three years at quarterback ...Averaged more than 20 points a game as a junior and was named District MVP ... Coached in high school by Rick Gaille.

PERSONAL
Full name is Corey Jonas Webster ... Born on March 2, 1982 ... Parents are MacArthur and Lorraine Webster ... Has two sisters, Courtney and Chandra ... Graduated in August of 2004 with a degree in general studies.

Webster's Career Defensive Stats

Year G-GS UT AT TT TFL Sacks Int
2001 Fr. 13-0 7 receptions for 74 yards on offense
2002 So. 13-5 31 5 36 1-4 0-0 7-75
2003 Jr. 14-14 36 10 46 3.5-13 1-5 7-52
2004 Sr. 11-10 20 13 33 1-2 0 2-46
TOTALS 50-29 87 28 115 5.5-19 1-5 16-173

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Spent a yeat in Prep - will be an older rookie like Newmam was - He'll be 24 in training camp. Plus and minus to the age issues.

30 career passes broken up
Not clear - 5 or 6 career interceptions?

Carlos Rogers

Class:
Sr.
Hometown:
Augusta, GA
High School:
Butler

Height / Weight:
6-1 / 194

Position:
DB
Experience:
3L

2004:
Named a first-team preseason All-SEC selection by the Birmingham News ... Preseason second-team All-SEC selection by Athlon Sports.

2003:
Started 12 games ... .Finished the season with 29 tackles and a team-high nine broken up passes ... Tipped a pass that was intercepted in the fourth quarter and had four broken up passes and three tackles against Wisconsin in the Music City Bowl ... Recovered a fumble, broke up a pass and totaled four tackles against Alabama ... Totaled four tackles against Ole Miss ... Had a tackle for loss against Mississippi State ... Held out of the Arkansas game after sustaining a hand injury against Tennessee ... Made a diving interception on Tennessee’s last drive to help Auburn preserve a win and had four tackles and two broken up passes against the Vols ... Named the Coaches’ Defensive Player of the Week for his performance against Tennessee ... Had two tackles and a broken up pass against Vanderbilt and two tackles against Georgia Tech ... Finished with five tackles and one broken up pass against USC.

2002:
Tied for the team lead with four interceptions ... Led the team with nine broken up passes ... Intercepted a pass in the fourth quarter and had four tackles including a tackle for loss against Alabama ... Broke up two passes and had four tackles against Georgia ... Finished with three tackles including a tackle for loss against Louisiana-Monroe ... Intercepted a pass and returned it 13 yards and had five tackles against Ole Miss ... Broke up a pass and had six tackles against Florida ... Finished with four tackles and a broken up pass against Arkansas ... Intercepted two passes and returned one 35 yards, broke up two other passes and had two tackles against Syracuse ...Named the Coaches’ Defensive Player of the Week for his performance against Syracuse ... Broke up a pass and had six tackles against Mississippi State ... Finished with six stops against Vanderbilt ... Registered seven tackles and a quarterback hurry against USC.

2001:
Named to The Sporting News Freshman All-America second-team ... Named to the All-SEC freshman team ... Finished fourth on the team with 58 tackles ... Led Auburn with 12 broken up passes ... Recorded eight tackles and two pass deflections against LSU ... Second on the team with nine tackles against Alabama ... Credited with the stop on the one-yard line to help preserve Auburn’s 24-17 win over Georgia ... Also broke up two passes including one in the end zone on Georgia’s second to last series, recovered a fumble that Auburn converted into a touchdown and had seven tackles and a hurry against the Bulldogs ... Two tackles against Arkansas and three tackles against Louisiana Tech ... Five tackles in a start against Florida ... Registered a career-high 10 tackles and broke up two passes against Mississippi State ... Started at corner and had four tackles against Vanderbilt ... Two tackles and a broken up pass against Syracuse ... Had five tackles and broke up two passes against Ole Miss ... Started at cornerback against Ball State and finished with three tackles... The only true freshman to start five or more games.

2000:
Attended Hargrave Military Academy.

HIGH SCHOOL:
Two-way player that rushed for 1,332 yards and 11 touchdowns as a senior ... Also had 47 tackles and two interceptions ... As a junior ran for 1,224 yards and scored 11 touchdowns ... Three-year starter ... SuperPrep Magazine All-American ... PrepStar All-Region ...Atlanta Journal Constitution "Georgia 75" ... All-State Honorable Mention selection ... Augusta Chronicle First-Team All-Area and All-Metro ... Selected to play in the North-South All-Star Game and the Georgia-Florida All-Star game ...Team Most Valuable Player ... High School Coach: David Land ... Also played basketball and averaged 14.2 points per game from point guard position ... Averaged 13.8 points as a junior ... Lettered in track and posted top times of 10.7 in 100m and 21.0 in 200m.

PERSONAL:
Born July 2, 1981 ... Son of Linda and David Rogers.

ABOUT CARLOS:
Favorite Food: Macaroni ... Favorite Movie: “Rush Hour” ... Hobbies: Basketball ... Pre-game Rituals: Listening first to gospel music, then rap ... Proudest Accomplishment of My Life: Being a college football player where I wanted to play since I was in ninth grade.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Rack said:
Don't give me "Actions". Show me a quote where Parcells says the same thing about Suggs that you've said.

He drafted Newman and passed on Suggs. Thats factual - he wants nothing to do with character risk one dimensional players like Suggs. Baltimore and 3-4 was a nice landing for Rebar man! Is his court date near? Amazing how many criminals Ravens have.

Move on, he's gone. :rolleyes:

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Nors said:
He drafted Newman and passed on Suggs. Thats factual - he wants nothing to do with character risk one dimensional players like Suggs. Baltimore and 3-4 was a nice landing for Rebar man! Is his court date near? Amazing how many criminals Ravens have.

Move on, he's gone. :rolleyes:

Move on? Nobody is living in the past here except you. You said Parcells agrees with you now prove it.

And drafting Newman doesn't prove anything other then he drafted the BPA. That doesn't prove he thought Suggs was one dimensional.

And it's interesting how you've changed your tune about Suggs. Oh you still stupidly criticize him, but before it was "he won't be able to get to the QB in the NFL" to now he's "one dimensional".

You were proven wrong about Suggs time and time and time and time again before he was even drafted and now you just change the reasons you didn't want him. Classy.

Be a man for once, Nors, admit you were wrong. You'd think it wouldn't be hard for you to do so since you're wrong so often.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Nors said:
he drafted the BPA

I already said that. Now, show me where Parcells agrees with what you've said about Suggs.

Show me where Parcells has said Suggs is too slow to play in the NFL.

Show me where Parcells has said Suggs is too weak to play in the NFL.

Show me where Parcells has said Suggs is one dimensional.

You claim Parcells agrees with you, now prove it. If you're so certain of yourself you shouldn't have trouble finding proof, right?

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Rack said:
I already said that. Now, show me where Parcells agrees with what you've said about Suggs.

Show me where Parcells has said Suggs is too slow to play in the NFL.

Show me where Parcells has said Suggs is too weak to play in the NFL.

Show me where Parcells has said Suggs is one dimensional.

You claim Parcells agrees with you, now prove it. If you're so certain of yourself you shouldn't have trouble finding proof, right?

I stated that Parcells agreed with me and took Newman over Tslugg. Parcells rarely if almost never discusses this stuff. But his actions speak.

Go back to the Silver Digest - you have to move on Sthugg's is not a Cowboy. :D

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
You make s**t up and you're telling me to get a life? Take a long hard look in the mirror, Nors.

This isn't a debate of whether or not Suggs is better then Newman. Try and muster up the mental capacity to figure that out, ok?

Either try your best to be a man (for once) or find me a f'in quote, Loser.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Sorry Nors...I respect your draft knowledge but:

Rogers = Bobby Taylor

and

Webster just reminds me too much of Dwayne Goodrich....a one-time college star who lost his confidence and simply cannot regain it.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Oh_Canada said:
Sorry Nors...I respect your draft knowledge but:

Rogers = Bobby Taylor

and

Webster just reminds me too much of Dwayne Goodrich....a one-time college star who lost his confidence and simply cannot regain it.

Webster is a 3 time ALL SEC performer and 2 time all american, 16 career Interceptions and has played in a NFL ready program. Randal Gay could not start at LSU but starts for Pats and BB said the kid walked in Day and understood the system and unde defenses. Webster can step in Day 1 and perform and let him drop, just like Witten did. Eugene Wilson anybody? Happens.

Rogers - you have higher ceiling issues if he's all that - He will have coverage issues in the NFL and is nor a playmaker in his career. There are also floor risks with the kid.