Signed by Cowboys Lawrence contract extended

Adreme

Reaction score
You're living in the past man. Some years back I might have agreed.

Yep now he is certainly second best as Parsons is better but that is about it. The defense sort of lacks anyone else who is great at their position though if Diggs could be a little more shutdown and a little less boom or bust he has the talent to be better as well.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Celebrating the saved cap space this year is nice…locking into that 26 mil guaranteed next year is crazy and totally not worth it.

The one silver lining is his $27 million would count for roughly 13% of the cap in 2022

we don't know what the cap is in 2023, but given the rise in the cap, the percentage will be quite a bit lower...more like 11-12% maybe less

edit: also worth noting...had he been a June 1st cut, he would still count $11 million vs the cap in 2023

So keeping him saves some 12 million this year and costs us *slightly* less than if he wasn't cut, but more than if he was

Will be a great move if he stays healthy and gets 8 or so sacks...will be a dolt move if he misses 3/4 of the year and gets 3 sacks

Last edited:

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Surprising to see talk of a pay cut to an extension so soon.

Seems like a reasonable extension

All part of the bargaining process since it also was posted that he had refused a pay cut.

Verdict

Reaction score
Curious to see the cap implications going forward. What's the cap charge for 2022 going to be?

Lawrence is one of our better defensive players. People go gaga over sack totals but Lawrence is by and away the best DL we have.
Actually, no, he’s really not.

Verdict

Reaction score
Too many people overlook that. One word to describe D-Law's game is violent. I would bet he's more respected around the league than he is by fans if I had to guess.
I’m thinking “cream puff” more accurately describes Tank.

Verdict

Reaction score
Don't think people realize how hard it is to find Defensive ends in this league that can stop the run and rush the passer. Maybe he's not worth what he's getting, but he's still a dam good player. And he actually gives a crap about winning.

I'm glad they kept him around with Micah and diggs.
He cares so much about winning that he delayed his surgery. Now that’s commitment to T.E.A.M. and winning right there.

Verdict

Reaction score
No he took a paycut.

His current contract is 2 years 40 million and now it's 3 years 40 million.

He took a low-key paycut but his agent will bolster about how he now has more guaranteed money. It's still a paycut (if he was healthy and playing at an elite level then he'd be playing at 2 for 40, not 3 for 40).
He may not play in year 3.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

man-in-fetal-position-400x250.jpg

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tbh this and Gallups deal look nice. Get Kearse locked up and hopefully (doubtfully) bring in a stud FA.

With the amount of money they’ve managed to free up, I think they could add both Von Miller and Bobby Wagner to the defense if they wanted to.

Do that and a few minor signings and you could devote almost your entire draft to your offense.

Cebrin

Reaction score
I'm okay with this. Even at his age he doesn't have that many miles on him. He'd have gotten more in FA I think. Good value. We're shoring up the draft.